Microsoft Abandons Yahoo Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
i initialy found it a lil' strange yesterday that M.S. did not approach the shareholders directly

but it make sense not to do so at the moment

current slowdown in the U.S economy and a predicted recession would make it difficult for M.S to tide over the after-effects of a hostile takeover as quickly as it would have been possible had the economy been on the upswing.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
was watching bbc, they were running the story and it was pretty clear from their analysis that monday morning market opening is gonna sse yahoo shares go down, they rose 50% since MS announced their offer, there is discontent amongst some share holders already, not to mention that they also said previously Oracle was trying to take over a certain company which declined but after some time sold itself to oracle.

my guess is that stevo played a master stroke by backing off and the letter contents, pissed off share-holders, fall in share prices would make life a bit difficult for mr. yang, considering that he already was ready to sell yahoo at $37/share

anispace

dattebayo
Investors pummeled Yahoo Inc. stock Monday, sending the company's shares down 15 percent after Microsoft Corp. dropped its high-profile takeover bid for the Web portal over the weekend.

Yahoo shares fell $4.30 to $24.37 in the first day of trading after Saturday's announcement. The sell-off suggests that many shareholders wanted a merger.

With none imminent, some disappointed investors plan to revolt by voting against all of Yahoo's board members at the next annual meeting. Yahoo faces the prospect of shareholder lawsuits for failing to accept a deal, adding to the handful filed over the past few months that are already winding through the courts.

src

looks like yahoo`s in some deep sh*t now

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Yahoo has said that it is still open for accepting a good offer from Microsoft

read more...

*money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/c6079cffe46e8e60cdaa7043f6396587.htm

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
see what happens when u mess with the big boys, u get b!tch slapped, Ballmer was the 1 who said bye to yahoo and that too because yang made comments that indicated a google affair to make matters worse for MS and all the orum members here started shouting yahoo yahoo ab kya hua .... ab bolo yahoo, i said it before too ballmer played a master stroke by saying f off to yahoo

It's Microsoft world kid, I'm just living in it ;)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
From what I see, MS is doing that tactic where you start walking out if you do not strike a good deal with the seller and then the seller says "Stop, let me sell for this price xxx".

^^ the same was done by oracle with regards one of their deals
which one ?

and I still don't think MS will have any benifit with this deal. Only difference is, their search results will show more results, but they will still be crap. Google owns with respect to GMail and Google Search, but Live Search and HotMail are still better than their yahoo counterparts. So MS won't have much benifit.

If they DO want to get some serious bucks with a deal, they should concentrate on territories unexplored by google like internet gaming. I am sure MS will gain a lot by taking over Zapak for instance.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
honestly i don't want MS to go ahead with it, why:

1. they would go into a huge debt, certainly not good at this point.
2. they should rather spend this money and buy some upcoming web2.0 companies

i don't use any of yahoo services, using it's messenger is a necessary evil, dumb chicks cant do sh1t abt it.

@metalhead: don't know it was on bbc the day MS walked off from the deal, they said the same tactic was used by oracle, successfully, the company sold itself to oracle a few weeks later

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
which one ?

and I still don't think MS will have any benifit with this deal. Only difference is, their search results will show more results, but they will still be crap. Google owns with respect to GMail and Google Search, but Live Search and HotMail are still better than their yahoo counterparts. So MS won't have much benifit.

If they DO want to get some serious bucks with a deal, they should concentrate on territories unexplored by google like internet gaming. I am sure MS will gain a lot by taking over Zapak for instance.

Dude. It's the technology that they need and also the ad content that yahoo has will create lot of income for MS.

Take for example, Cisco buying Linksys. Look at how Linksys is creating lot of market for Cisco in the wireless segment. Cisco had wireless devices before but it's the technology in linksys that is creating revenue.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
see the news today, Yahoo is asking MS to reconsider it's offer. Yahoo is ready to reduce the asking price per share. game on!!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
where are those members who were going yahoo, thinking that yahoo was able to say goodbye to MS :lol:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^Here I am

My heart says that MS shouldn't be able to take Yahoo but my mind says it should.

Then only we will see more innovations from Google to keep MS at bay. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ it's quite the opposite with me, my heart says they should :twisted: but my mind says they shouldn't :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom