Memory upgrade suggestion for an old laptop

karthik316_1999

In the zone
My old Dell Inspiron 3521 runs out of its 4GB memory during multi tasking and I would like to add another 4GB of RAM. CPU-Z shows that my current module is a Samsung 4GB DDR3L PC3-12800 (800Mhz) @ 1.35 V

Searching for a compatible module, I ran into these respectively which seem to be either too expensive at 2k or too cheap at 0.5k respectively..

*www.amazon.in/Corsair-Voltage-1600Mhz-Laptop-SODIMM/dp/B00G40TB6E/
*www.amazon.in/Dolgix-1600MHz-Laptop-PC3-12800-Warranty/dp/B018SBMF3W/

Just wanted to know if I'm not making a mistake with either of these purchases.. or am I missing something? Want to make sure that I'm buying a compatible RAM module with a good quality since these happen to be non-returnable !

Thanks for your inputs as always..

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
corsair one looks good-but it would be better to buy locally from some trusted computer peripherals store as ram modules sold on amazon are non returnable.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
My bad that I failed to see the images of the 2nd Dolgix product and went by the product title !
Since a total of 12GB would be an overkill for the laptop, I'll try enquiring locally for a 4GB version of the Adata brand since it doesn't seem to be available online..
Thanks again...

Last edited:
OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Edit: The 4GB version seems to be available on Flipkart
*www.flipkart.com/adata-premier-ddr3-4-gb-dual-channel-laptop-adds1600w4g11-r/p/itme4b2kyhnft6zy

But the part number seems to have an additional character from what is mentioned on the Adata website
P/N on adata website: ADDS1600W4G11 / Source - *webapi3.adata.com/storage/downloadfile/datasheet_ddr3l_1600_u_dimm_r_dimm_so_dimm_v1.pdf
P/N on flipkart: ADDS1600W4G11-R

Is this still good to go?

12GB ain't overkill, phones have 8GB RAM easily nowadays & websites like youtube are much more heavier. Your call if you want 4GB RAM. 8GB stick ain't too expensive.

Partial PN difference happens all the time in all electronics, even on laptops. If freq, voltage & type matches, you are good.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks for the clarity.. I see that the ADATA 8GB stick is a dual rank memory and there are posts online that say dual rank memories produce more heat.. I believe my existing 4GB is a single rank one.. Will the heat from the 8gb dual rank module be a concern on my outdated laptop? (I do not use any external cooling solution and the device is already warm to the touch at the bottom)

Also as per the manufacturer, seems their memory is clocked at 1333 mhz and users are supposed to 'overclock' it to 1600 mhz
Source - *www.adata.com/in/consumer/category/computer-memory/228/?tab=faq

I checked my BIOS where there isn't any option to change the clock speed of the RAM module. Considering this and the fact that my existing module runs at 1600 mhz, I'm afraid that both the modules once installed will run at 1333 mhz only.. Is this unavoidable or should we look around for an alternate brand?

icebags

Technomancer
dont worry too much about ram overheat, unless you are over clocking. :lol:

just look for DDR3L / PC3L and "12800" , 1600MHz thing written on the ram itself. if it's not written than it would probably be a non L type ram of 1.5v, which will be incompatible with your laptop.

i purchased a 8GB Hynix DDR3L from FK @~600 few days ago, probably not geniuine make, probably the Hynix chips are bought aftermarket and stuck to the RAM board by manufacturer, but it's working, and i guess low voltage RAMs dont fo bang so often. :chinscratch:

another thing is, if you are feeling windows eating up processor and ram on the old computer, consider using some XFCE version of Ubuntu / Linux Mint on it, unless you use wondows "specific" programs and are comfortable with exploring linux.

the latest versions use <1GB of memory without any apps. and that is what i have been using in my old laptop for a long time (Mint XFCE). :toast:

apart from that you may consider upgrading the HDD to a sata SSD, if want.

Last edited:
OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
The ADATA ram module though labelled as "PC3L-12800" is clocked at 1333 Mhz by default and I'm expected to OC it to 1600 Mhz .. (an option for which is not present in my BIOS..) Will this not cause my existing 4GB stick running at 1600 Mhz to clock down to 1333 Mhz?

And yes, I have already upgraded the HDD on the laptop to a SATA SSD... (which turned out to be incredibly helpful)

icebags

Technomancer
The ADATA ram module though labelled as "PC3L-12800" is clocked at 1333 Mhz by default and I'm expected to OC it to 1600 Mhz .. (an option for which is not present in my BIOS..) Will this not cause my existing 4GB stick running at 1600 Mhz to clock down to 1333 Mhz?

And yes, I have already upgraded the HDD on the laptop to a SATA SSD... (which turned out to be incredibly helpful)
never heard like that. skip that ram then.
better if you visit local parts seller with your laptop, of not confident.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Just enquired locally and price as below, for 8gb ddr3l module
EVM brand - 825/- lifetime warranty
Samsung brand - 750/- 3 years warranty

Any better pick between the two?

Top Bottom