Status
Not open for further replies.

champ_rock

champ_rock
hi i am using me and xp dual boot....
somewhat ME takes a lot of time reading my cd drive and other partitions..... whereas Xp is much fasteer in that regard...
is it some problem with my drivers or ME is a snail from the beginning....................

anomit

In the zone
Have you installed something like Intel Application Accelerator in ME? It causes the drives to be accessed in MS-DOS mode.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
i have installed nothing..... as that cant be installed on my chipset........................... it is an oldie soem 500 or so...............................but xp runs as smooth as can be whereas me even gives buffer underrun errors while writing a cd...............................

expertno.1

Technomancer
Definitions of DMA on the Web:
Direct Memory Access/Addressing. A method of transferring data from one memory area to another without having to go through the central processing unit.
www.startech.com/glossary/glossary.cfm

direct memory access.
www.validationstation.com/glossary/glossaryd.htm

Document Management Alliance.
www.infonuovo.com/dma/dma1.0-7/glossary.htm

This term refers to the movement of data directly from memory to some other device, such as the disk drive, without first being loaded in the microprocessor.
www.homeandoffice.hp.com/hho/cache/807-0-0-225-121.html

Defense Mapping Agency
nplace.wvhtf.org/nplacenew/glossary.html

Designated Market Area. A Nielson term identifying groupings of mutually exclusive television marketing areas. Examples: Washington, DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. (Research Department, see: Market Book for details.)
advertising.washpost.com/special/displaycontact/glossary.jsp

(Direct Memory Access): the graphics adapter is not permitted to render directly from the AGP memory but it can take data from it as and when it needs to. This is currently the standard mode used as virtually all graphics cards have sufficient local memory to store the data it needs.
www.futuremark.com/community/hardwarevocabulary/

Direct Memory Access channels are similar to IRQs. DMA channels allow hardware devices (like sound cards or keyboards) to access the main memory without involving the CPU. This frees up CPU resources for other tasks. As with IRQs, it is vital that you do not double up devices on a single line. Plug and Play devices will take care of this for you.
www.tyan.com/support/html/glossary.html

A means of transferring data between host memory and a peripheral device without requiring the host processor to move the data itself. This reduces processor overhead for I/O operations and may reduce contention on the processor bus.
developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/Glossary/chapter_21_section_1.html

Direct Memory Access. A technology that lets system peripherals move data in and out of memory without using the CPU.
www.kingli.com/gloss.htm

Nielsen's term for geographical areas made up of exclusive counties based on which home market stations receive the predominant share of viewing. (See also ADI)
www.ignitingministry.org/advertising/mediaterms.aspx

Is Direct Memory Access. A DMA channel permits specified types of data transfers between RAM and a device to bypass a microprocessor.
www.oasismanagement.com/frames/TECHNOLOGY/GLOSSARY/d.html

Direct memory access (DMA) is a system of transferring data whereby samples are automatically stored in system memory while the processor does something else.
www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/daq/a3_gloss.html

A number identifying a channel whereby the device can pass data to memory without involving the CPU. Think of a DMA channel as a shortcut for a data moving to/from the device and memory.
www.build-your-own-cheap-computer.com/computer-terms.html

Direct Memory Access is an electronic pathway or direct channel on which a device can bypass the CPU and send data directly to memory. A DMA channel is often one of the resources assigned when configuring an expansion card or device such as a sound card.
www.pccomputernotes.com/pcterms/glossaryd.htm

A unique geographic area/media market defined by Nielsen Media research so that the entire US is assigned to one of some 210 DMAs. Nielsen states: "Designated Market Areas (DMA's) are used by Nielsen Media Research to identify TV stations whose broadcast signals reach a specific area and attract the most viewers. A DMA consists of all counties whose largest viewing share is given to stations of that same market area. Non-overlapping DMA's cover the entire continental United States, Hawaii and parts of Alaska." DMA definitions do not change for the Hispanic market.
www.hmweekly.com/data_center/researchglossary.html

direct memory access. DMA transfers data into memory at high speeds with no processor overhead.
www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/rou...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00803451e0.html

A term used by Nielsen Media Research to identify an exclusive geographic area of counties in which the home market television stations hold a dominance of total hours viewed. There are 210 DMA's in the US
www.nielsenmedia.com/glossary/terms/D/

Stands for Direct Memory Access. It is an efficient process of transferring data directly to and from main memory without involving the CPU.
www.cheap-hd.com/hd-terms.shtml

Designated Market Area, Used by the FCC, D* & E* to determine your television market for LIL service, and by V* to determine your local channel map.
www.satelliteguys.us/printthread.php

Accelerator used in conjunction with BPO catalyst. More effective than DEA.
www.fiberset.com/html/glossary/glos_d.htm

The direct transfer of information between a computer's memory and a device while the computer's CPU does something else.
www.visionneeds.com/glossary.htm

Direct Memory Access - A method of transferring data without having to go through the CPU. This allows for faster performance and also allows the CPU to spend more power on other things.
www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Jargon/d.shtml

Direct Memory Access. DMA is a method of transferring data from the disk into memory directly. In a CP/M system, the BDOS calls the BIOS entry point READ to read a sector from the disk into the currently selected DMA address. The DMA address must be the address of a 128-byte buffer in memory, either the default buffer at 0080H in page zero, or a user-assigned buffer in the TPA. Similarly, the BDOS calls the BIOS entry point WRITE to write the record at the current DMA address to the disk.
www.iso.port.ac.uk/~mike/interests/chistory/documents/cpm-22-manual/axh.html

A method of fast data transfer between the peripherals and the computer memory. The transfer does not involve the CPU.
www.control.co.kr/dic/dic-d.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom