Mayday ! No cookie for me . .

crazylamhe

Broken In
I installed Ubuntu 10.10 dual boot(alongside Win7 HP 64 Bit) 2 days ago. Yesterday, I tried to install 'Macbuntu'(a third party software making the appearance of Ubuntu as a Mac Os), it downloaded well, but during installation, I had to choose between Latin and Chinese as my default language. I chose Latin, thinking that I wud revert back to English after installation . . After a complete install, everything was similar to Mac OS(including startup), but alas ! all the fonts changed into tiny rectangles ! :pullhair:
Tryng hard for an hour, I reached the 'Appearances' menu, select 'Font' , again there was no option of English ! ! :punch:
I don't want to compomise with the Windows OS. Please suggest what shall be done As Soon As Possible. I am completely noob in these stuff :ashamed:

sygeek

Technomancer
Okay, considering you don't know what any of the text means, follow these steps:

3rd menu tab -> 2nd option -> 3rd option-> [Click the 2nd button if a small dialoge pops up] -> Click the last button -> Choose English -> 2nd button

And you're good to go. :)

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5457&stc=1&d=1319620632

Thanks for the reply sygeek. but there was no third menu tab(desktop changed to Mac OS). By hit and trial, I figured out what could be the third tab from the only drop down box, and did exactly as you said.. but all I got is a window with a user image/icon(I think that is user accounts) and some rectangles as obvious, then tried every button , but got English nowhere ! Plz. guide by posting a screenshot, perhaps that can help

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
during login, change the session to something different so that you can atleast work normally, then search for and install the necessary fonts

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, use Ubuntu the way it is. It is much more beautiful than Mac OS X and doesn't need any sort of fugly make-up.

doomgiver

Warframe
+1 ico. all hail ubuntu.

you want a mac, get a mac, dont waste others' time.

god, i want to rant, but the mods are keeping me on a tight leash.

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
Can you tell if this shortcut works at the login screen? [Ctrl-Alt-Backspace]
Sorry to reply so late. No, the key combination doesn't work at the Login screen. I have a live
CD of Ubuntu 10.10, can it be of any help ??
you want a mac, get a mac, dont waste others' time.
:blackeye: :hissyfit:

Edit :

Thank You friends for all your support. Finally I'm done with the problem. It took almost 2 hrs. and lot of exercise by my lappi(restarting, logging off etc.) Luck also favoured, as many arrows shot in the dark somehow were able to hit the target. Firstly, ran the live CD and noted the exact way of creating a new user account; then logged in the original account and created one. Again, got to the downloads folder and copied the uninstall.sh to other drive, restarted(in safe mode) and tried to run uninstall.sh through command-line/terminal. Failed !! :banghead:
Restarted, through Windows 7 edited the uninstall.sh file(the other obviously drive being accesible) -- didn't know anything what to do, but figured out what was wrong and replaced every echo command with echo"Passed" , then repeated the process.
It said "Bye" after uninstallation and now aal is well !! In fact it now seems more of an adventure than problem(and I didn't sleep yesterday night cause my new lappy was screwed) :cloud9:
Thanks again for your support.:doublethumb:

well, use Ubuntu the way it is. It is much more beautiful than Mac OS X and doesn't need any sort of fugly make-up.
Thanks for the suggestion bro. I just wanted to feel the 2-finger, 3-finger and 4-finger swapping of the Mac. So, installed it. But, in future, I would first mess around with the options available, then any other !! :p

doomgiver

Warframe
dude, there is a way of enabling multi touch on linux/windows too. you dont need it to look white to work like one :p

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
dude, there is a way of enabling multi touch on linux/windows too. you dont need it to look white to work like one :p

Thanks for the info. Does it work identical to the way Mac does(like 4-in-1 desktops 360 degree rot.). Will be applying the same to my Ubuntu box shortly ! :inky:

doomgiver

Warframe
use compiz fusion, i dont, coz i dont like it.

it has many settings for doing that
and unity/gnome 3 have nice virtual desktops built-in.

you wont find exact same mac functionality, but some solutions are better and some are worse than the mac, so choose carefully and do your research.

Krow

Crowman
Glad that your problem is solved. You should try Linux Mint too. It's based on Ubuntu and comes with all codecs installed.

Ubuntu is becoming too Macish itself. I don't like it much now. I don't like Unity much either.

My favourite Ubuntu version was Jaunty Jackalope.

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
^Thanx for the feedback Krow.:thumbs:
Well, I will certainly try other Linux based OS(particularly Linux Mint as you suggested), but first I need to have a taste of Linux ! I can't triple boot a system as it's not preferable, I can't uninstall Ubuntu cause I suppose it's risky and only experts can do it. Also, running from a Live CD/using VMware takes all the charm away ! Wish there was a fourth option. :unsure:
As of now, I am having many problems with Ubuntu like I can't even play videos on it(despite trying all the steps and alternate methods given in the Fast Track to Ubuntu).:duh2:
Seems like need some time getting well-acquainted with it. But hey, will be getting dirty with Mint OS too, as I have read in other threads also that it's recommended for newbies ! ! :p

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
I can't uninstall Ubuntu cause I suppose it's risky and only experts can do it.

you can install mint over ubuntu easily through a single click during boot-time installation. the option appears when you have to select where you want to install the Linux OS.

As of now, I am having many problems with Ubuntu like I can't even play videos on it(despite trying all the steps and alternate methods given in the Fast Track to Ubuntu).:duh2:
1. best : install vlc
2. install the codecs.

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
you can install mint over ubuntu easily through a single click during boot-time installation. the option appears when you have to select where you want to install the Linux OS.
Plz. detail a bit about it. Like is it really so simple and the rest
process will be as simple as installing any other OS ; what exactly happens to Ubuntu ? Is it possible to install any other OS further over Mint ?? :eek:
1. best : install vlc
2. install the codecs.
Did it long ago. Now whenever a video gets played, for some the bar and timer goes on normally as when something gets played. But no sound or videos, and for rest of the videos, the system hangs !!:shock:
Reinstalling doesn't help. Any other way to repair ?

Top Bottom