Maximum Lan cable length question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
I need to connect my pc to a friends pc which is 75meters away,i have already bought the lan cable but its not working cheked with multimeter no problem with the lines or Rj-45 connecter,but network signal is not reaching the other end.
Hav anyone seen any lan network(using switch) which worked at this distance without any problem?.I have other two connections at 25meters which are working fine. The cable i used for both 25m & 75 meters is i-link which cost 7rs per meter. The guys at computer shop(and all other network junkies i asked) says even though max lan cable length is said as 100m it wont work above 55meters.Is it true?(they say it wont work even with d-link switch and cable).
I am read to buy D-link cable and D-link swich but will it work?,its not possible for me to put a repeater at the center becoz the cable is running above another house.

Edit: currently i am using intex 8 port switch

Last edited:

zero

Broken In
I can't exactly tell u the length of my cable but its quite long enough...
Try these
* Check the twisted pairs are they properly done... The order in which they are made specifies whether it cancels each other.

* Next make sure no sharp bends are there.

* If not working on 100 mbps try at 10 mbps mannually.

* Try with a different NIC, it sometimes solves the problem.

anand1

In the zone
Generally the length limit of the LAN cable is there. The maximum limit always vary. I suggest u to go for a Cat6 D Link cable for this LAN configuration.

sai_cool

Journeyman
a switch would definitely do the joB! in my school, we have comp in every class.. and it is all connected to a main server 120m( apporx) away.. they use a switch.. it works perfectly fine..

OP
zyberboy

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
^^but they may be using switches which are not easily available in local market isn't?

zero said:
I can't exactly tell u the length of my cable but its quite long enough...
can u tell me the approx distance and the cable & switches used
anand1 said:
Generally the length limit of the LAN cable is there. The maximum limit always vary. I suggest u to go for a Cat6 D Link cable for this LAN configuration.
Wt the advantage of cat6 over cat5, is it absolutely sure it will work if i use cat6 cable,and wt abt its price per meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom