Many beeps heard at booting screen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ASUS mobo with C2D proc (E4500)
It's barely a year old.

I get 3 sets of 7 beeps while of booting at the "Press DEL to enter BIOS" screen along with these messages:

CPU Fan Error!
CPU Over Voltage Error!
Primary IDE Master Not Detected!

Also, my CPU fan is working below par (seen running at a much lower speed after opening cabinet)

What problem is it? (seems like voltage, but dunno :( )
Also, how to diagnose it?
I havent overclocked or meddled with the voltage, nor have I changed anything in the BIOS (except that occasional CD drive boot-up setting)

Plz Help..... :(

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I am pretty sure you need to replace the heatsink at the earliest. I don't think there could be voltage error since you havent overvolted your motherboard. (I'm pretty sure you'll get a free replacement for the heatsink, unless it's a physical damage)

OP
thewisecrab
I am pretty sure you need to replace the heatsink at the earliest. I don't think there could be voltage error since you havent overvolted your motherboard. (I'm pretty sure you'll get a free replacement for the heatsink, unless it's a physical damage)
You mean RMA it? or can I buy the heat sink from a local guy and install it?
And I doubt physical damage as I have barely opened the cabinet (except for cleaning once a month and to install the LAN card)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You mean RMA it? or can I buy the heat sink from a local guy and install it?
First of all you should contact Intel for support. You need to see their reponse. Since you haven't overclocked and are using the stock cooler, it should be THEIR problem not yours.
And don't use any cooler except the stock cooler. Using any cooler except the stock cooler voids the warranty, at least it does in AMD processors. Perhaps an Intel user would clarify that whether using a custom cooler voids Intel warranties or not.

And I doubt physical damage as I have barely opened the cabinet (except for cleaning once a month and to install the LAN card)
Then it shouldn't be a physical damage.

See these links, maybe they'll be helpful.
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-023102.htm
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-025525.htm
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-020033.htm

OP
thewisecrab
First of all you should contact Intel for support. You need to see their reponse. Since you haven't overclocked and are using the stock cooler, it should be THEIR problem not yours.
And don't use any cooler except the stock cooler. Using any cooler except the stock cooler voids the warranty, at least it does in AMD processors. Perhaps an Intel user would clarify that whether using a custom cooler voids Intel warranties or not.

Then it shouldn't be a physical damage.

See these links, maybe they'll be helpful.
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-023102.htm
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-025525.htm
*www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-020033.htm

I am applicable for warranty as I havent overclocked it :rolleyes:

So, I guess I'll have to contact my seller and ask for a free replacement. (which could take weeks :|)

And the third message is:

Does this have anything to do with the heat sink? (I seriously doubt it :eek:)
I just dont get it :|.
My HDD is Primary master, and it is fully functional :???:

And Thanks for those links :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I am applicable for warranty as I havent overclocked it :rolleyes:

So, I guess I'll have to contact my seller and ask for a free replacement. (which could take weeks :|)

And the third message is:

Does this have anything to do with the heat sink? (I seriously doubt it :eek:)
I just dont get it :|.
My HDD is Primary master, and it is fully functional :???:

And Thanks for those links :)

I didn't notice that before.. It may be possible that the fan is not itself failed. Maybe the motherboard. Or both? :?

Contact Asus first and determine what exactly does that "3 sets of 7 beeps" and those error messages mean. At least they could verify exactly what is the problem.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :|

OP
thewisecrab
I saw this:
*www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
This is what I found there:
7 Short Beeps Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard.
Fhat the Wuck?!?!? :|
My mobo is hardly a year old. :cry:

My local assembler is not picking up the phone :mad:
Will try to get the mobo to him ASAP.

OP
thewisecrab
I removed all the cables on my mobo and fitted them again.
Now, I get only 2 sets of beeps. (The third message has disappeared)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom