Mandriva 2007 Questions Of A Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Before I posted started this thread I went to Mandriva website & also their forum but there was way too much of jaragon (for a newbie to linux like me) to even understand anything. So I'm counting on your Linux experts...especially tech_your_future, since he is currently Mandriva 2007

When I click on Log Out to shut down Mandriva lINUX 2007 it give me 2 options

1. End Current Session
2. Cancel

When I click on "End Curent Session" it ends the session but I get a pop-up window asking me for my Log-in name & password.

So how can I shut down Mandriva 2007 so it just completely shuts down the PC? or even restarts so I can choose windows if I want to after the restart?

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
sarincv said:
Only these options are available? which desktop u use....
Yes those are the only options available when I try to Log Out.

With regards to which desktop...if you are referring to my rig than the details are in my signature below & if you are asking me about the OS / GUI than I use Mandriva Linux 2007 (as mentioned in the Title) with KDE 3.5

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I guess changing the display manager to GDM should help.
1) Open Control Centre
2) Select System tab
3) Click on 'Choose the display manager that enables to select which user to login'
4) Change to GDM.
See if this helps.
Otherwise once you log out. At the bottom of the screen there should be a couple of options - reboot and shutdown are two of them.
And you can shutdown from terminal too, using
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
I guess changing the display manager to GDM should help.
?1) Open Control Centre
?2) Select System tab
?3) Click on 'Choose the display manager that enables to select which user to login'
?4) Change to GDM.
?See if this helps.
?Otherwise once you log out. At the bottom of the screen there should be a couple of options - reboot and shutdown are two of them.
?And you can shutdown from terminal too, using
?
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
Thanks I'll try that & revert back to you.
Fire Fox 2.0
...but when I try to install it I get a window of "OPEN WITH"...I can't the life of me figure out which program I shoud open it with....and why doesn't it just auto install when I double click it?

Please consider my dilemma keeping in mind that I've always been a windows user who is used to just double clicking the .exe file and the windows does the rest...so PLEASE HELP.

I went to the Mandriva forum and there was a similar question by another newbie but the answer to the question was totally hi-tech mombo jambo...so kindly help me with some simple instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@riyaz I guess he got them both from the source. Otherwise rpm's won't ask as to which program to open with.
For flash player
Right click on the file, go to permission tab. In user row, check the box next to executable column. And now double click. It will open a terminal window and continue with the installation.
For Firefox
In run type 'kdesu konqueror'. Now navigate to wherever you have downloaded the file. Right click on the file and click on Extract => Extract here
Now right click on the extracted folder and Move To => /usr/lib.
Now you will have to edit the executable in the Menu. In the Mandriva Menu, right click on firefox entry = > Edit Item => In Command box give this location '/usr/lib/firefox/firefox'.
There's a method via CLI too but since you find it too difficult I am suggesting via GUI. But, the CLI method is the best for both

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for your help..but for some reason it isn't working...I figure there must be something wrong in the initial installation of the Mandriva OS...so I've formatted that partition one more time (pls don't laugh...coz I'm not as smart as you techies are at Linux) and I will reinstall the OS more carefully. I'll follow your instructions again with the Firefox & Flash player and will get back to you after that about how it went.

first for ur help, i'nt seen this problem in my system. But No problem after ending session you will went out to LogIn Screen>> here u will see Session Option.. In bottom of window Three option is there Shutdown, sessions and Language. choose appropriate.. and Shutdown ur system

Next problem is related to flashplayer. and firefox
first extract the flash files from zip folder.. Right click on file and select Extract Here.. than go to this folder and Press F4, it will open the console window and do as directed below
type
su >>Enter
Password:: Type root password(remeber given it in installation time)

type
./flashplayer-installer.sh>>Enter
Enter
Enter
read if it wants more enter
then u will reached to directory path option, give it the path of ur browsers like mozilla /use/lib/mozilla/ or
/home/Download/firefox/
hit enter
and Voila!!! it will ask u to more installation.. press 'n' and exit exit

Now firefox>> first extract all files then go to firefox folder and u will find a file named firefox.sh .. double click on it and Start Surfing..
Good bye
Have a nice day. and don't hasitate to ask more! 'coz nobody is perfect so i'm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom