making new partitions in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
H

harmik

Journeyman
UPDATE::
i have formatted and reinstalled everything...

I had copied the contents of recovery partition (D:) elsewhere earlier.

During preparing the disk for Media direct, it asks if u want to allocate all disk space to C: or keep C: limited. I had chosen to keep C: limited and allocated rest to D:. then installed Vista, then Media Direct.
On booting into Vista i saw that the first hidden partition of 45-80MB (which i suppose is for diagnostics) was there still.
then i partitioned D: into 2-3 more partitions for Recovery and Data etc...
(the hidden media direct partition was in the last..)
However, on pressing the Media Direct button, the whole system was again messed up...
also tried using rmbr.exe in media direct CD to repair MBR and assign which partition to boot using the Power and which thru Media Direct button... but i guess, i cud never come around to using it properly, since i couldnt maybe properly figure out partition numbers for C: and for the Media Direct Partition.
So, if i wanted to keep Media Direct, i could not have more partitions than C: & D: ........

So, i started installing Vista again and during the process, deleted all partitions and installed Vista to a 30GB partition... (didnt prepare HDD for media direct this time)
Then booted into Vista, and created partitions as i wanted....
Now, i have:
hidden diagnostics partition.
C: (30GB)
D: (10GB)
+ some additional data partitions

I copied back the Recovery data into D: (have kept D: as NTFS. dont know if it earlier was NTFS or FAT32.)

During booting, if i press F8 and come to advanced boot up options, i am not presented with the option to use "Dell System Restore", to restore everything to factory state, although i have everything as it was earlier on D:
in D:\dell\Image, there is a file factory.wim of 3.3GB. Also, in D:\Tools there is a file named pcrestore.exe.. while in Vista, i tried running that, but it said that it couldnt complete operation or somethng like that.dnt remember the exact error..
((i want everything on C: to be restored, as it saves me the task of installing drivers, apps each time. Dont want my partitioning to be disturbed now and data on other partitions to be harmed in any way...))

Kindly tell me how i can do so...
(Now i have copied my songs, vids, data etc to the partitions i created for storing my own data, but havent yet installed drivers, other apps))

Also, i run the risk that if the Media Direct button is pressed, everythng might be messed up again!!

So what i need to do now:::
1. somehow try to restore ONLY C: to factory state.
2. DO NOT press the Media Direct button.
3. Nothing should mess with the other partitions except C:, D:

PS: now my bro has taken the laptop to Delhi, so whatever needs to be done, i will have to guide him thru it .....
Plz help me out here ppl...

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
I m planing to buy a dell sys. n seeing so many prbs here, I think it is advisable to pay them the extra bucks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom