Major Microsoft counterfeiter sentenced to 4 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
A group of counterfeiters that Microsoft claims was responsible for over 90 percent of the world's supply of fake Microsoft software has been sentenced to prison. The sentences were handed down in Taiwan late last month, and Microsoft hails them as a huge victory against global counterfeiting

*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/2008...terfeiter-sentenced-to-4-years-in-prison.html

NucleusKore

TheSaint
90% of the world's supply of fake Microsoft software ? Wonder where those statistics came from. What about our backyard counterfeiters? I want to see all of them go to jail, then people will seriously explore alternatives to Windows and Office.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
90% of the world's supply of fake Microsoft software ? Wonder where those statistics came from. What about our backyard counterfeiters? I want to see all of them go to jail, then people will seriously explore alternatives to Windows and Office.
This action of M$ will take toll on M$ and people will think of removing piracy at a cheap rate. This is where Linux will come!

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
Exactly, if Microsoft starts taking strict action against counterfeiters all around the globe, it will be like "khud ke per pe kulhaadi maarna"! And then we will see widespread adoption of Linux!

not exactly. When people are punished for doing something, natural tendency and their being used to the same thing pushes them even farther, its common snese for them.

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
not exactly. When people are punished for doing something, natural tendency and their being used to the same thing pushes them even farther, its common snese for them.

I dont agree..For someone who does this for business (selling pirated CDs/DVDs), it might be OK! But not for someone who just uses pirated software! It could be extremely embarrassing for end-users to be put in jail and will DEFINITELY drive them away from windows!

hullap

Cyborg Agent
i agree it is the same in the case of drugs.
u tell teenagers to go away but they get nearer

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I dont agree..For someone who does this for business (selling pirated CDs/DVDs), it might be OK! But not for someone who just uses pirated software! It could be extremely embarrassing for end-users to be put in jail and will DEFINITELY drive them away from windows!
the last thing an office wants is commandline sudo apt get :lol:

OP
Pat

Pat

Beyond Smart
the last thing an office wants is commandline sudo apt get :lol:

For your kind information, in most offices, installation/removal/upgradation of software is not allowed!

And, if it was not for your ignorance, you would have known that linux has many front-ends (GUIs) for apt-get too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom