1) Cds
2) RWs
3) CD-Writer
4) Disk Drive
Leastly the
5) Floppy

cheetah

In the zone
I keep all important CDs, RWs in covers...

CD writer, DVD writers...nothing....these are long life products....

HDD - Regular Defragmentation

Floppy- I nvever format floppy disks....i dont know why but most of the floppies dont work after formatting...

vadulanaveen

Right off the assembly line
floppy disk

@ dont expouse to heat & dust .
@ dont keep near by places where it can easliy get affected by magnetic field .
@ dont carry in pockets;use case . :oops:

Techmastro

Journeyman
Bought a wallet for my cds & dvds.
Write my cd-rw at low speed only though speed then completely s***.
For hdd as said by cheetah regular defragmentation is must. Donot remove them frequently.
I have stopped using floppy disk completely.

Netjunkie

In the zone
Store all your CD's & RW's in covers or use a CD Wallet.

Always use the button on the CD-Writer to close the tray, dont try to push it in.

Defrag the disk regularly, ensure your cabinet is free from dust.

Dump your FDD, buy a Flash drive.

OP
T

Trinity

Journeyman
"Yes, a CD case is a must. If a CD doesnt work, i regularly wash it with water." ->
what r u saying Mr.q3_abhi? With water??????

hack expert

In the zone
If a CD doesnt work, i regularly wash it with water.

now this is real new :lol:

well as for CD`s and DVD`s covers are must
hdd`s -- defragmentation ,or u can use softwares lik system mechanic to clean all junk file or remove duplicate or temp files

and if u have a cd which dosent work u can use the innovative new technique always :lol:

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
Trinity said:
"Yes, a CD case is a must. If a CD doesnt work, i regularly wash it with water." ->
what r u saying Mr.q3_abhi? With water??????

well actually it gives better results when u use soap water !!! if u dont believe it then try it !!!

cheetah

In the zone
ppl do u know that scratched cds sometimes work when u use car polish....

I have read it on a Professinal Data Recovering website and it really works....Dont use polish in access and if the cd works...make a cd backup as fast as u can...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
CDs nd DVDs are kept in covers or albums. Also in spindles if too many.
Cleaning with surgical spirit solve most dust problems. As bout scratches get it to a Cd library nd ask him to buff the disc.(heard from ICC**P mag).

As bout CD drives I use lens cleaner discs regularly(every month). The discs has two or more brushes nd use the liquid provided with it to wet the brushes. It is really helpful.

I defragment the HDD regularly nd perform full system format every 6 months or so.

OP
T

Trinity

Journeyman
man! i m gettin all new techniques....polish , water, soap water, lol

keep posting new innovative techniques.....gre8 learning

Techmastro

Journeyman
q3_abhi said:
Yes, a CD case is a must. If a CD doesnt work, i regularly wash it with water.
I donot know whether you are serious or not but i have seen people washing their cd-rw when they are not working.They claim it become reusable again.

iinfi

mekalodu
hmmm... u guys take so much care for ur system ..... i dont do any thing ... jus kick it on kick it off ... thats it ..

btw... wash a CD with water !!! hearing it for the first time ....

ahh!! jus searched google ... got this info ...

Recovering Scratched CDsfor the benifit of people who have eye-sight problems ... source is posted in size 22

Every user has had trouble with a scratched CD. In the case of data CDs (CD-ROM), the drive cannot properly read the CD, giving rise to reading errors. In the case of audio CDs, the CD skips when we play it.

The first thing to do when coming across a CD with a read error is to clean it, to check whether it the error is not being caused by a dirty surface. You can even wash the CD gently with a little detergent, using your fingers to clean it (avoid sponges, since they can scratch the CD). If the error persists, try reading or playing the CD on another drive. If another drive (or CD player, in the case of audio CDs) gives the same result (read error or skipping, in the case of audio CDs), it will mean that the CD is scratched.

Looking against the light, the recording surface (the flip side of the label) of a CD with this kind of trouble will allow you to easily see one or more existing scratches. A CD's data is recorded on a metal layer inside it, a silvered layer on commercial CDs, which is usually golden on CD-Rs. This metal layer is inset in a transparent plastic covering (polycarbonate), used to protect the CD's metal layer and allow printing a label on the side not used for reading.

A CD-ROM drive or CD player utilizes a laser beam to read the metal layer. This laser beam crosses the plastic layer and reads the metal layer. If the plastic layer is scratched, the beam will be unable to pass through it, resulting in a read error or skipping the music. In other words, the data to be read are still in the CD, the trouble lies in the layer of plastic.

As the CD's contents are preserved, a scratched CD can be recovered by polishing its plastic surface. If, after carrying out the above cleansing, the CD persists in giving reading errors, just polish the CD with toothpaste. That's right, toothpaste. It works wonders, and you won't spend a fortune buying professional cleaning kits. Polish the scratches with a cotton swab, rubbing gently the paste-imbued swab over the scratches until they disappear or until you notice that you have removed them as far as possible. Sometimes the paste may cause new scratching, but it will be merely superficial and easily removed. After clearing the scratches, wash the CD in water.

If there are still scratches that the toothpaste has not managed to removed, use a metal polish (Brasso) in the same way as described above. Finally, rub Vaseline on the CD, very gently (do not press hard), from moving out from the centre to the rim.

The last step will be testing the CD. If it starts working properly, great. If not, repeat the above procedure, looking for the scratch that is causing the error and concentrating your polishing efforts on it.

rajas

In the zone
I store my CD's in Binders. Floppies...I stopped using them long ago...the ones I have are buried in the cases.

As far as the scratchy CDs, I wash them in water...many a times with RIN/Surf. Its working for me from years now.

Note:Usage is upto the end-user and no further claims accepted. :wink: :wink:

anomit

In the zone
Shocked :shock: :shock: and happy too! I had lost all hope for my ol' Carmageddon 2 CD, the goriest and crudest game I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom