MacOS X 10.5 to feature new UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Taken from neowin

Applegadget is reporting, that the new UI of MacOS X 10.5 leopard is going to be something other then the 5 years old Aqua UI. If itunes 7 for windows/MacOS X gives some highlight, then that is how the new UI is going to be like. The new UI will be called illuminious

*www.applegazette.com/mac/rumor-aqua-to-be-replaced-with-illuminous/

"Aqua will be nicknamed ‘Illuminous’. Apple’s latest trend in its software GUI is a darker, flatter, translucent, reflective, “illuminating” glass appearance."

Lolz....sounds like Aero Glass:D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I'm not sure of the validity of this rumor. It may be true, but it can be false, too. No one knows what the internal builds contain. The latest build available to external ADC developers is 921 and it has no graphical/UI improvements. I feel they're keeping the new UI under the wraps. Apple has incorporated a sort of shinky black interface in apps like iPhoto(released on January 10, 2006). But, I don't see them implementing it system wide. As I said, I may be completely wrong, too. :)

Look at the previous track record of Apple Gazette. If ever any Mac rumor is true, then it originates at sites like AppleInsider, ThinkSecret, MacRumors, and more recently LoopRumors or from individuals like Kevin Rose, who have good connections inside the company.

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

A quick google search reveled this page

I guess, Cupertino has also started their copiers after vista went RTM, many features look sooooo like Vista....maybe inspired by Apple. But anyway, good that they are implemented atlast in MacOS X even if late. Now if only they admit that they also copied it from Vista or Linux & give other proper credits

Quoted from there, something which i guess is copied

"Smart Renaming" - when renaming a file, the extension is no longer included in the file name selection (Someone buy that engineer a beer!)

The Finder allows for customizing the amount of space between icons
hmm, since windows 98

Spaces, thankfully, allows users to bind applications to one desktop or another. This will be handy for, well, keeping everything in its place, but it will probably be something to get used to for virtual desktop newbies
Virtual desktops

Apple UI does needs a face lift, something i would suggest is to include an address bar right in the finder like Explorer or Nautilas. & Consistency in all apps. The apps UI in Mac is application based, so even apple own app are not consisten in UI, aparature is black while shake is gray & ichat is brushed metal. There should be unification system wide

& most important, changes to the dock icons

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
Apple UI does needs a face lift, something i would suggest is to include an address bar right in the finder like Explorer or Nautilas.

Apple+Control+G. There is your address bar.

Anyways, I guess the new finder will be based on Konqueror. Konqueror is miles ahead of any file manager. They based their browser on Konqueror, so I guess Finder needs to go that way, too. As much as I like GNOME, Nautilus doesn't fit the bill. Konqueror(KDE) is a much better file manager. I think there are quite a few reviews on the internet to prove this.*

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

andy, post a screenshot plz, i have never seen any screenshot with address in finder

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Here it is:

*img150.imageshack.us/img150/5962/picture4sj8.th.png

And you have not seen any pictures of it on the internet because it is a feature that no one uses. It is totally rudimentary. You are just nit-picking about trivial or completely non-existent issues. If you use a Mac (a privilege I'm sure you will never be able to enjoy), you won't require an address bar either. The Finder's navigation process is much more refined than Explorer's.

gxsaurav said:
A quick google search reveled this page

I guess, Cupertino has also started their copiers after vista went RTM, many features look sooooo like Vista....maybe inspired by Apple. But anyway, good that they are implemented atlast in MacOS X even if late. Now if only they admit that they also copied it from Vista or Linux & give other proper credits

Quoted from there, something which i guess is copied
gxsaurav said:
"Smart Renaming" - when renaming a file, the extension is no longer included in the file name selection (Someone buy that engineer a beer!)

gxsaurav said:
hmm, since windows 98

gxsaurav said:
Spaces, thankfully, allows users to bind applications to one desktop or another. This will be handy for, well, keeping everything in its place, but it will probably be something to get used to for virtual desktop newbies
Virtual desktops

Apple UI does needs a face lift, something i would suggest is to include an address bar right in the finder like Explorer or Nautilas. & Consistency in all apps. The apps UI in Mac is application based, so even apple own app are not consisten in UI, aparature is black while shake is gray & ichat is brushed metal. There should be unification system wide

& most important, changes to the dock icons
Another useless post. Why do you keep doing this? This is not even the 'Fight Club' but you still cannot resist the urge to start a flame war. As for your allegations, I'll tackle them point-wise:
Not there in Windows XP, so you cannot say that it is being copied. It is added in Vista though.
If you have to rename a file extension, the Finder now includes a preference for disabling the extension renaming warning (a second round, comin' up!)
Not present even in Vista (personally, I feel this is a wrong step though).
A new preference in the Dock System Preferences pane allows for toggling how quickly the Dock 'springs' when hidden
No such setting for the taskbar even in Vista.
It was neither present in Windows 98 nor in any of the subsequent releases - including Windows Vista. 'Customizing the amount of space between icons' does not mean dragging the icon to any positing in the folder, as you have most probably assumed it to be. You could drag your icons around even in Mac OS 9. The new feature in Leopard will allow you to customise the automatic spacing between icons when you 'Autoarrange' them (in Windows' terminology) - something you cannot even do in Vista. (UPDATE: NikhilVerma tells me that this feature was indeed present since Windows 98 and I regret the slight mistake. The rest of my post still defies gxsaurav's lame accusation though.)
iChat includes many handy window organizing features, such as a customizable keyboard shortcut for bringing the app to the front, as well as a preference for tabbed chats (instead of simply forcing it on those who aren't quite as hip on tabs)
Windows Live Messenger does not support tabbed chatting at all, leave aside having a preference for turning it off. Plus, it is not even bundled with Windows Vista. You have to download it seperately.
It sounds like Safari will know when you've entered text into a website (for example: when leaving a comment in a forum), and can prompt you before quiting and blowing away unsaved changes
Leave aside Internet Explorer 7, even Opera 9.1, Firefox 2.0 and all other Windows' (and Macintosh) browsers do not have this feature.
Neither Windows XP or Windows Vista have virtual desktops by default. Yes, you can download a free Powertoy but then there are free applications that enable virtual desktops on Mac OS X too. Furthermore, Leopard is going to be shipped with it and Vista is not.

So quit cribbing when you are not entitled to do so - and stop looking for a fight.

@mail2and, it is 'Shift + Command (Apple) + G'.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, I never realised it was there. Thanks for the information and sorry for the mistake!

But even then, it is obvious that this feature is not something they have copied from Vista. It is simply something that was present in Windows till now and Apple has implemented it just yet.
Mind you, I am not defending what I posted earlier. I am just adding onto it.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
NikhilVerma said:
I didn't mean to go against anything :p I just wanted to tell you that this feature was there on Windows ...

I am not sure what type of icon spacing was present in the leopard preview that I had installed. I'll boot into the preview, and I'll check what it is exactly.

Edit: Is it something like this?*

*img152.imageshack.us/img152/6231/picture1ck2.th.png

This is a very old build of Leopard i.e. August build. I have not used/installed the latter builds, so I can't say whether anything has changed.

As for debates, why not wait until Leopard actually releases. :) What's the point in debating on rumors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom