Mac OS X Secretly Cripples Non-Apple Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
*images.slashdot.org/topics/topicapple.gif*images.slashdot.org/topics/topicaposx.gif

"Vladimir Vukicevic of the Firefox team stumbled upon some questionable practices from Apple while trying to improve the performance of Firefox. Apparently, Apple is using some undocumented APIs that give Safari a significant performance advantage over other browsers. Of course, "undocumented" means that non-Apple developers have to try and reverse-engineer these interfaces to get the same level of performance. You really have to wonder what Apple is thinking, considering the kind of retaliation Microsoft has gotten for similar practices.

Source

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Just look at the UI, it looks so cool :D

Nobody is a saint, everyone want there own product to come on top of the competition.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
*blog.vlad1.com/2008/02/28/finding-the-os-x-turbo-button said:
Edit: Slashdot seems to have picked up on this, and in typical style, has completely misunderstood the post. To be clear, I do not think that Apple is in any way trying to purposely "cripple" non-Apple software. I also do not think that undocumented APIs give Safari any kind of "significant performance advantage" (as Firefox 3 should show!). However, as I said, the undocumented functionality could be useful for Firefox and other apps to implement things in an simpler (and potentially more efficient) manner. I don't think this is malicious, it's just an unfortunate cutting of corners that is way too easy for a company that's not fully open to do.

Guess apple's not crippling anything.

Regards,
ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom