M-Audio Studiophile AV 40

gauravr

Broken In
want to buy M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 through my friend from USA.

amazon: new model- 120$
ebay: Manufacturer refurbished - 90$ (also stating 'PERFECT CONDITION! Full Manufacturer Warranty!')

Can I opt for ebay option to save 30$.

Anybody has experience with this model?

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
Do not get the refurbished model. Get the AV 40 at 120$ ,you wont regret. But I hope you are not a bass head.

Thanks for ur reply.yes I m not much concerned about bass. Just want to listen to clean vocal and instruments. Also suggest whether it will work with lcd tv satisfactorily?
if there is any other option please suggest.i can extend budget till 150$.i am buying it mainly for tv use

- - - Updated - - -

Also it costing 130$ not 120 due to some additional tax

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
thanks for your response. one more query. what is Digital to Analog Audio Converter? I noticed FiiO D3 (D03K) that is 28$ usb Digital to Analog Audio Converter.
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FD3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink%2Fdp%2FB005K2TXMO&ei=jtJCU4C7FdGxrAfY0IDICg&usg=AFQjCNFHCPGD8uLMwrjBSUaeg2v7o2KCgw&sig2=ulGHKL1nAlWXBlOqoEDt9Q&bvm=bv.64367178,d.bmk

Will it be useful to use along with M-audio AV40?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Digital Audio Converter is also referred to as DAC generally. What it does is converts your digital information of an Audio CD or any digital audio in to analog information so that it can be amplified by your amplifier to produce songs from your speakers. Your Amp and Speakers understand only analog information,hence the conversion. DAC is a very important part of any audio set up,people spend lacs on them. Eg Very good DACs are generally made by Burr Brown Wolfson Cirrus Logic. Best DAC machines using these chips are made by Bel Canto, dCS,Burmester,Theta Digital, Wadia etc etc

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
Your Led tv has digital out like optical or coaxial or has plain RCA analog ( red & white)?

I think I will need to connect rca-rca cable between set top box and speaker. However I am attaching pic of back side of tv.

Attachments

• DSC_0167.jpg
    DSC_0167.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 101

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Definitely there will be a difference if you use the DAC . Get it too. But before that do make sure your TVs optical out does output PCM. If it does not then there will be no sound.Read the manual.

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
Definitely there will be a difference if you use the DAC . Get it too. But before that do make sure your TVs optical out does output PCM. If it does not then there will be no sound.Read the manual.

below are mentioned in my tv specification.

HDMI2 x HDMI
PC InputYes (1)
AV In2
Audio OutYes
Digital / Optical Audio OutYes

I suppose the DAC will work.

one more question(sorry for more question :p) what you suggest between
* Circle Arko 100W (ARKO 100W)
* M-Audio AV40
I know from specification circle arko is more powerful.But even should i choose m-audio AV40 over it?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Both are great the Microlab 6C or the Arko Circle is bit too sterile studio like, if you really want enjoy ur music get the Swans I suggested ,but if you want flat faithful sound then get the Arko.But make sure your source is clean with Arkos coz with IGBT based designs expect no mercy with bad recordings and sources.

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
Both are great the Microlab 6C or the Arko Circle is bit too sterile studio like, if you really want enjoy ur music get the Swans I suggested ,but if you want flat faithful sound then get the Arko.But make sure your source is clean with Arkos coz with IGBT based designs expect no mercy with bad recordings and sources.

Sir,
finally I got M-audio AV40 today from USA through my friend. But alas! Things didn't turn up right. After configuring the connection, When I switched on, blue light on main speaker system got ON for a moment and after that it got OFF.
Later on I decided to open back side of main speaker(Initially I was hesitant to open it But my friend suggested to do it). I found that fuse was blown(the fuse was T1A 250v).

After that I replaced it with another fuse. Again When I tried to play with this, blue light was ON for some moment but again got OFF. Again I checked, this time fuse was not blown, but transformer(I guess) was very hot.

At last I packed the speaker without listening a single word from this masterpiece. Can you please suggest what was the issue?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Is it 110v or 220v model. If so then you will have to get a Power Transformer to play it. If it is a 220v model use a different power source/outlet. Did you get a refurbished one?

Secondly please friend dont call me Sir. Im just a person ,a friend a fellow digitian!

OP
G

gauravr

Broken In
Secondly please friend dont call me Sir. Im just a person ,a friend a fellow digitian![/QUOTE]

Thank you for quick response. I got new one.
Yes it was mentioned on back side of the speaker that it requires "AC Input:100-120V-60Hz,60W".I am attaching image:

does it means it will support only 100-120 V.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I checked on amazon website and attaching image of back side of speaker.
"100-120V 1AL
220-240V 500mAL"
why there is difference? Did I get wrong product? Also can you please suggest option power transformer that I can get online or from market.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Get something like this *m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161238704592.

I use something like that with my Razer Mako which is also a 110v model .

Last edited:
Top Bottom