Low budget gaming rig.

april

Broken In
i am a little tight on budget, but my pc(gigabyte ga-g31m-s2l, intel c2d 7300 2.66gh, zion 800 1gb, seagate 160gb sata) which is 5-6 years old started malfunctioning. that's why i am thinking of a update right now. i originally planned on waiting a few more months to increase my budget. but i need it right now. so pls help.
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:high end games like COD BO, crysis 2, dark souls, mass effect 3(i am not going to play them right now, I'll do so after buying graphics card later). applications like autodesk maya,downloading and watching movies etc. mostly i read eBooks. i love fantasy novels.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:19k. no more.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:windows 7 64 bit. i have windows 7 32 bit right now.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500 GB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:no. i have a samsung 17 inch crt. resolution 1024x768.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:monitor, keyboard, mouse, ups, dvd writer.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:mahalaya. next Monday.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:my elder brother will do it. he might not agree to though. so it could be an assembler too. so keep that under consideration.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:kolkata.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:i don't want to buy the graphics card right now. i want to buy a low end 2 gb card(NVIDIA GeForce GT520 2 GB) soon though. i will start the games then. so suggest a good psu(if it lasts 1 year without problem, thats enough. i will be able to buy a good one by then.) considering that.
i want to buy i3 2100, ddr3 1600-4 GB. so suggest a cheapest possible motherboard(i was thinking of Intel DH61WW) with integrated graphics which at least supports those. i want to buy a Intel extreme(a high end one) as soon as my budget increases.
i want to do a step by step upgrade(i mean buy cheap a which supports cheap b, then buy expensive a2 which supports cheap b and discard cheap a. then buy expensive b2 which supports expensive a2 and discard cheap b, e.t.c.).

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Processor: AMD FX-6100 @6.8K
Motherboard: Asus M5A88-M @5.8K
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz 4GB @1.4K
Graphics card: --
PSU: Corsair CX430V2 @2.3K
Chassis: NZXT Source 210 @2.5K

Total: 18.8K

Don't buy graphics card now. Cause you don't have enough budget to accommodate a processor and a good graphics card which is capable of running Maya. You will be needing a ~10K graphics card to work with Maya smoothly.

Suggested FX-6100 cause, it have 6 cores and would be more future-proof than dual code I3.

Alternate option for motherboard: Gigabyte 880GM USB3 @5.4K

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
AMD will be easily out gunned by a Intel Core i3 when its Gaming or more. Even a G630 will blow a six core AMD out of the water in many a task.
Edit: AMD Or Intel: Which Offers Better Gaming Performance? : Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?

Since I believe its a low budget Gaming rig primarily as the thread suggests and not more of a Workstation

@ April : Be sensible and stick to

Intel i3 2120 - Rs 6900
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - Rs 4300
RAM - Corsair Value Select 4GB - Rs 1150
HDD - Seagate 500GB - Rs 3400
Cabinet CM Elite - Rs 1750
Corsair CX430V2 - Rs 2500

Total - Rs 20,000. Add a GPU later around December.

Or
Much more sensible at your budget for gaming would be....

Processor : Intel® Pentium® Processor G630 - Rs 3300
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H USB3 - Rs 3250
Ram : Corsair Value select 4GB - Rs 1100
HDD :Seagate 500GB - Rs 3400
GPU : MSI R6670-MD1GD3 - Rs 4300
PSU : Antec Basiq BP350 350W / Corsair CX430V2 - Rs 1800/Rs 2500
Cabinet : Cooler Master Elite - Rs 1750

Total - Rs 18900/-

For the components go to MD Computers in Chandni and talk to Palash. and.. Subho Mahalaya!

Last edited:

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ April :)

Use the following tool to compare the performance of various cpu's in realworld apps+synthetic benchmarks.
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

A word of advice: In case you plan to settle for a sandybridge based i3/ pentium with a h61 chipest mobo, a 1600Mhz stick is going to be a waste.Primarily because H61 doesnt support anything higher than a 1333Mhz and the mem controller of pentium doesnt go above 1066Mhz.Settle for the corsair value sticks(1333Mhz)

Cheers!!

Minion

Conversation Architect
Get these
AMD 3 GHz FM1 A8 3870K Processor-6,500
ASUS F1A55-M LE Motherboard-4,200
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)-1,500
HDD - Seagate 500GB - Rs 3400
Cabinet CM Elite - Rs 1750
Corsair CX430V2 - Rs 2500
Total 19k
This will allow you to play games in medium to low settings latter you can buy more powerful graphics card.

OP
april

april

Broken In
thanks, but can you suggest a Intel chipset based rig? i want to buy a i5 or i7 later. and maya 2011 runs on my current setting. not in the best condition but workable. sometimes it crashes during work though.
subho mahalaya:razz:
p.s. my hard disk still works fine. a repairman said it's defected due to to my loss of ups and the frequent power cuts in my area(i don't live in kolkata, my brother does. I'll buy with him). do u think i should postpone buying hard disk and go for graphics card? if so suggest me one.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
This!
@The Incinerator: Please infer the facts from different reviews.

Here goes another one boy...or in fact go through any reviewer and his conclusion
Your Game And Performance Target Matter Most : AMD FX Vs. Intel Core i3: Exploring Game Performance With Cheap GPUs
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Please i3 is little better in single thread performance but when talking multithreaded apps AMD FX-6100 is way better

He primarilly wants a low budget gaming PC not a cheap Workstaion. Read the thread header. Mate the bulldozer is a failure in many ways than one, the sooner you admit it the better it will be for the people seeking help in this forum. If you are talking multithreads the i3 with Hyperthreading is more than the OP will ever require.Get your facts together.Is he going to overclock .NO.Is he heavily in to Editing or simulating. No. Is he on a budget .Yes. Will he Game .Hell YES. Then why the hell are you suggesting him a 6 Core,Rs 7500 heater of a processor when his overall budget is of Rs 19000??!!!

An i3 2120 or a G630 with a discreet GPU is all he will ever need and it will blow any AMD proccy out of the water.

This one is a real sensible Intel Chipset based RIG for your money. If you can exceed your budget by Rs 4000 more get the i3 2120 and a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H board along with the components here.A GPU is already included check below.

Processor : Intel® Pentium® Processor G630 - Rs 3300
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H - Rs 3250
Ram : Corsair Value select 4GB - Rs 1100
HDD :Seagate 500GB - Rs 3400
GPU : MSI R6670-MD1GD3 - Rs 4300
PSU : Antec Basiq BP350 350W / Corsair CX430V2 - Rs 1800/Rs 2500
Cabinet : Cooler Master Elite - Rs 1750

Total - Rs 18900/-

thanks, but can you suggest a Intel chipset based rig? i want to buy a i5 or i7 later. and maya 2011 runs on my current setting. not in the best condition but workable. sometimes it crashes during work though.
subho mahalaya:razz:
p.s. my hard disk still works fine. a repairman said it's defected due to to my loss of ups and the frequent power cuts in my area(i don't live in kolkata, my brother does. I'll buy with him). do u think i should postpone buying hard disk and go for graphics card? if so suggest me one.

And these guys here are suggesting you 6 Cores for Maya!!!! !!! They should really read your post,honestly. Do get a UPS this time even a Rs 1400 Digital UPS would save the HDD.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy stop suggesting G630 in everywhere, your previous suggestion of i3 2120 is better. No doubt, G630 is a great value CPU for gaming but OP has asked for other CPU heavy applications too. And read other reviews where a Athlon II X4 or even a 3 GHz+ Athlon II X3 has been recommended by Anandtech and Tomshardware over G630 or the other lower end dual cores if Multitasking and Multithreaded apps are under consideration....Why are you only suggesting a Gaming Only CPU and providing reviews for only gaming prospective?
FX-6100 might be a failure in terms of gaming performance but that is mainly dependent on GPU. In this scenario, even a FX-4100 is better than G630. However, it does have power consumption issues and OP prefers an Intel solution. I think i3 2120 is the way to go.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
i have a microtek heritage gold 625va ups now. i bought it few months ago. is it good?

Good enough.

Buddy stop suggesting G630 in everywhere, your previous suggestion of i3 2120 is better. No doubt, G630 is a great value CPU for gaming but OP has asked for other CPU heavy applications too. And read other reviews where a Athlon II X4 or even a 3 GHz+ Athlon II X3 has been recommended by Anandtech and Tomshardware over G630 or the other lower end dual cores if Multitasking and Multithreaded apps are under consideration....Why are you only suggesting a Gaming Only CPU and providing reviews for only gaming prospective?
FX-6100 might be a failure in terms of gaming performance but that is mainly dependent on GPU. In this scenario, even a FX-4100 is better than G630. However, it does have power consumption issues and OP prefers an Intel solution. I think i3 2120 is the way to go.

Mate ...Autodesk and Maya wont need 6 cores and his primary need as per the thread suggest is "low budget gaming rig" so theres absolutely no need go the AMD way which dosnt have a promising upgrade path. Then if he wants a better Processor the i3 as I suggested already is the next obvious choice and not the AMD again.

As for Maya & Autodesk ,which is making you so jittery and nervous ,wont require a SR2 and two zeons ...calm down ,look at the Requirement from the company itself!!!!:shock:

Maya - System Requirements - Autodesk

For 32-Bit Autodesk Maya 2013
Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional (SP1) or Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP3) operating system
Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ processor with SSE3 instruction set support (or higher)
:p
2 GB RAM
10 GB free hard drive space
Certified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card A discreet GPU is better here than APU if budget allows! An HD6670 is hence suggested by me:cool:
3-button mouse with mouse driver software
DVD-ROM drive
Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 8 or higher, Apple® Safari®, or Mozilla® Firefox® web browser

Optimum is the word not Overkill, here.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Ever used maya, autocad or 3D max?
You won't have posted these then. :)

Bingo!!

thanks, but can you suggest a Intel chipset based rig? i want to buy a i5 or i7 later. and maya 2011 runs on my current setting.

You won't be getting a balanced I5 rig at your budget. And forget about I7. Cheapest i7, 2600K costs 16.8K.
Talking about buying graphics card, wait for 1 more month!! Some new graphics cards would be relased in India in coming weeks and it may bring the price of some old cards down.

@The Incinerator: remember that you are suggesting an user who wants to utilize his money to get the maximum output from it. Everyone suggesting here suggest very seriously in every thread and buyers choice depends upon your opinion. And again, it is a public forum. So using sentence like
@ April : Be sensible and stick to
infers to only one bad thing: You think that you know everything and others are stupid.
Everyone values others opinion and evaluates it before suggesting other opinion.
My humble request to you would be the same. :)
Cheers

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^ Ever used maya, autocad or 3D max?
You won't have posted these then. :)

Now Im sure you havnt! Do you read English either? i3 ..that I have mentioned too, if he can spend Rs 4000 more???:wink:
You didnt even suggest him a GPU!!!! So much for your Bingo!!!:cool:

infers to only one bad thing: You think that you know everything and others are stupid.
Everyone values others opinion and evaluates it before suggesting other opinion.
My humble request to you would be the same. :)
Cheers

My humble request would be please get your facts correct and be responsible enough not to Troll and create a groupism kind of scenario.If you are feeling stupid thats your problem not mine.This is an open forum and if you know what a forum is for better put your facts forward rather than what you do. PM etc etc. Not done. Cheers mate.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ would request all to avoid personal attacks....
@@ OP: you would find tons of benchmarks on innumerable HW sites.Judge what cpu goes best with your need, Cheers!!

OP
april

april

Broken In
You won't be getting a balanced I5 rig at your budget. And forget about I7. Cheapest i7, 2600K costs 16.8K.
i want to buy it later, not right now. i know it won't come in budget.

i respect everyone's opinions, so please stop quarreling.

Last edited:
OP
april

april

Broken In
guys please suggest me a Intel based rig within budget, which can be upgraded to i5 or i7 2nd or 3rd gen later.

I'll appreciate it very much.(i3 2nd gen CPU is my choice.)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I3 based config as requested by you:

Processor: I3-2120 @6.6K
Motherboard: Intel DH67-CL (b3) @5.5K
RAM:Corsair Value Series 4GB @1.1K
Graphics card: --
PSU: Corsair CX430V2 @2.3K
Chassis: NZXT Source 210 @2.5K

Total: 18K

Last edited:
Top Bottom