Lots Of Problems: Ubuntu 7.10/6.10 Installation on old system

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
I tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 on my friend's system with following Configuration

P4 3.00 GHZ, Intel 845G Mobo, 256 Mb Ram, 80 Gb IDE HDD.

Ubuntu main screen not loaded from live cd. System just freezed after ubuntu loading progress bar disappeared. I rebooted the system and this time i waited for ubuntu main screen to load. After odd 45 mins i got the screen n the shortcut to install. Clicked on it again the waiting session started. After around i had to reboot again as nothing seem to happen.
This time i choosed install in safe graphics mode. After the warning window(configure resolution) i clicked next n again black screen but this time with blinking cursor. Waited for long time and rebooted again.
I checked cd for defects and to my surprise it was ok.

Then i tried to install 6.10. Choosed default option to install ubuntu. Again progress bar came, disappeared and blank screen but this time with blinking
monitor light and nothing more.
Finally i choosed install in safe graphics mode in 6.10. This time i managed to install it . Now when i choose to boot from default option same thing happens again i.e. blank screen after progress bar with blinking cursor. It take some 3 0r 4 min to display login screen. But if boot in recovery mode then i type "exit " @ command prompt to start the graphics mode which is now only good way to srart UBUNTU 6.10
I have heard that 7.10 can work on 256 ram without any problem but here even 6.10 is not working properly. Also I am not getting the widescreen resolution 1680X1050. The maximum resolution i am getting is 1024x768. I installed 915resolution package to enable widescreen resolution on older intel chipsets but still not getting it. Also graphics performance is not so good.

I convinced my friend that 7.10 is way better than windows. Help me save my face. Please..................

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Use alternate install cd, live cd requires min. 512mb of RAM. And go for Xubuntu rather than ubuntu.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
CadCrazy said:
I tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 on my friend's system with following Configuration

P4 3.00 GHZ, Intel 845G Mobo, 256 Mb Ram, 80 Gb IDE HDD.

Ubuntu main screen not loaded from live cd. System just freezed after ubuntu loading progress bar disappeared. I rebooted the system and this time i waited for ubuntu main screen to load. After odd 45 mins i got the screen n the shortcut to install. Clicked on it again the waiting session started. After around i had to reboot again as nothing seem to happen.
This time i choosed install in safe graphics mode. After the warning window(configure resolution) i clicked next n again black screen but this time with blinking cursor. Waited for long time and rebooted again.
I checked cd for defects and to my surprise it was ok.

Then i tried to install 6.10. Choosed default option to install ubuntu. Again progress bar came, disappeared and blank screen but this time with blinking
monitor light and nothing more.
Finally i choosed install in safe graphics mode in 6.10. This time i managed to install it . Now when i choose to boot from default option same thing happens again i.e. blank screen after progress bar with blinking cursor. It take some 3 0r 4 min to display login screen. But if boot in recovery mode then i type "exit " @ command prompt to start the graphics mode which is now only good way to srart UBUNTU 6.10
I have heard that 7.10 can work on 256 ram without any problem but here even 6.10 is not working properly. Also I am not getting the widescreen resolution 1680X1050. The maximum resolution i am getting is 1024x768. I installed 915resolution package to enable widescreen resolution on older intel chipsets but still not getting it. Also graphics performance is not so good.

I convinced my friend that 7.10 is way better than windows. Help me save my face. Please..................

Do you have a AsRock MoBo? I also have that brand's mobo with AGP and it stucks with the AGPGART of any new Linux Distro.:mad: :mad:

If you want to know about AGPGART solution, then specify it in reply post.:grin:

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
debsuvra said:
Do you have a AsRock MoBo? :mad: :mad:
No its intel mobo

debsuvra said:
If you want to know about AGPGART solution, then specify it in reply post.:grin:
yes wana know more

mehulved said:
live cd requires min. 512mb of RAM.
Ok but also tried on another friend's system with AMD 3000+,ASUS M2N Mobo,512 MB Ram but almost same thing happened

mehulved said:
And go for Xubuntu rather than ubuntu.
No No can't do without eye candy

Last edited:

mehulved

*xubuntu.org/tour
*xubuntu.org/press#screenshots
*www.xfce.org/about/screenshots
*lunapark6.com/overview-of-xfce-44.html
Just a few examples. Google can show you more about the how good XFCE can look while using less resources.

quantum

Broken In
i dont think RAM is sufficient enough for GNOMe 2.2 if u can get your friend an older version like 6.06 with the repositories

cynosure

UbuntuUser
6.06 will work fine, its will be supported for 5 years. Go for it if you want to install ubuntu. 7.0x will need atleast 512MB RAM.

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
I currently installed Ubuntu 6.10 on his system . Tell me how to enable 3d/transparency effects. I have searched in synaptic with word compiz and installed all the packages under the search but still i am not getting the compiz configuration manager.

Also even 6.10 is not working properly through default boot option. I had to boot through recovery mode to get it working. Any possible cause/solution to this problem

mehulved

6.10 won't have compiz fusion. But luckily it has beryl. But, what graphics chipset does it have? And believe me go for xubuntu over ubuntu.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Gnome is so damn sluggish on 256megs,
Go for xfce dude.its a lot better considering the low RAM.
Besides you wont feel any loss of looks either.
But on 256 megs Ubuntu itself feels sluggish.
Try something based on slackware if u really want speed.

Regards,
ray

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Nah,Xubuntu isnt much but Ubuntu base with a set of apps for lower end machines,
Install Ubuntu and then remove
ubuntu-desktop and install
xubuntu-desktop.

Might be wrong names,used ubuntu quite some time ago.

Regards,
ray

mehulved

Yeah. xubuntu-desktop should be around 50MB package at the max. So, you can add it to your ubuntu install and thus have both GNOME and XFCE in the install.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
CadCrazy said:
is it
install xubuntu-desktop and then remove ubuntu-desktop
or vice versa
I think if u select xubuntu-desktop for installation it automatically selects ubuntu-desktop for un-install.
Anyways its better to do this in init3 IMO.

Regards,
ray

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Yes,If you install the DE.
I think in Ubuntu only one desktop type package is available at once.
You can install the rest of the packages to make the DE available but if u install the desktop package its made the default DE and the previous Default DE is removed.
That's as i know in Ubuntu 6.06
Havent really used ubuntu after that.

Regards,
ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom