Lost data....Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Friends,

My PC's boot file ( the hal.dll file which is there in the <system 32> folder in windows) got corrupted & I cud not boot my PC. I knew that my data was secure & I decided to boot from a windows XP SP2 CD. I followed all the instructions which were doled out by the installation wizard & I continued without formatting any partition on my HDD. After almost 50 long minutes the installation was complete & then to my utter dismay I realised that I had lost ALL the data which I had stored on my desktop. In fact, a completely new desktop interface had replaced my previous desktop. I also lost all the theme settings which I had made. Although the data in my HDD is safe ( I have 3 partitions) I realised that I cannot access the data. What I mean to say is:

1. The drive on which windows is installed shows ALL the programs in the <program files> folder which I had installed earlier, but not a single program is present in the start menu. Moreover, even if I access the program from the program files folder, they refuse to open up. Does that mean that all the data on the windows drive has corrupted? I cannot open even simple applications like winamp,WMP, yahoo messenger, Nero, zonealarm, NAV.....

2. I have lost all the drivers of my sound card & Grafix card. I realised this because I cud not hear songs even after re-installing WMP. Also, I cud not open any of my games...

3. All the rest of my data(which is on the other 2 partitions of my HDD) is safe & I can access it properly.

4. I lost all the data which was present on my previous desktop. I had a folder named "Downloads" which I had placed on my desktop & here I used to direct all my incoming downloads. Now that was a huge 3 GB folder & I have lost that now. IS there any way I can recover that folder?

5. My PC has become very very slow now. I have an AMD 3000+ proccy with a 1 GB RAM & still, the display is choppy even when I scroll thru any window. Can anyone figure out why this is happening? This particular thing worries me a lot...

6. When I press Alt+F4, I dont get the "stand by" button to click on. So, I can not put my PC on standby anymore.....

Well.....lot & lots of problems I believe. Looking forward to replies. Thanx a lot in advance...

h_kunte

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
youve already posted your query elsewhere
and also gotten an reply there
please do not make 191812097129301 posts across the board
it just gets annoying and then compeles us mods to take drastic measures against people like you
which you certainly wont like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom