Looking for SSD - Some basic queries

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Interested to buy SSD. Am tight on budget and can opt even for 64GB as well.
I have current primary HDD that’s just 80GB!

Have a few doubts..Can XP SP3 be installed on SSD !! I am still so used to XP. But can upgrade to Win7 if the need be.

I have AMD Athlon II X2 260 AM3 CPU + Gigabyte 880GM USB3 Mobo. I believe SSD should just seamlessly get added as storage device without any compatibility issues with Mobo hardware. Pl. comment

Finally any specific brand/product recommendations for 64 GB?
Thanks.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=4314]patkim[/MENTION],

I agree with [MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], if you are planning to upgrade the storage then goes with a minimum space of 128GB. I believe, there is no much price difference between both.

Just a suggestion, based on your system configuration and requirements; there is no need to add the SSD in the system. If you really want to upgrade the storage part then go with 500GB HDD option.

Good Luck.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
normally what's the price range of 128 GB SSD? I notice large difference across online sites for say Samsung EVO 840 120 GB ranging from 5 k to even 10k apparently for the same model.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
normally what's the price range of 128 GB SSD? I notice large difference across online sites for say Samsung EVO 840 120 GB ranging from 5 k to even 10k apparently for the same model.

I ordered a 120 Gig 850 EVO two days ago for 4.8K from amazon. now its 5K.The older 840 EVO is priced higher than 850 EVO.
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION]: Any specific reason why WD doesn't have a SSD? SSHD is in the only one I saw in the product portfolio. Do you only specialize on mechanical hard drives?

DK_WD

WD Official
Hey [MENTION=2132]RCuber[/MENTION],

Western Digital main line of business is mechanical hard drives and NAS. We have only recently reintroduced SSHD back in our line-up with the release of WD Blue SSHD. With regards to SSDs, I'm sure it is in consideration by our big bosses.

However, as to confirmation whether we'll branch out that way anytime soon, I'm not privy to that kind of information at my level, sorry. :-(

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks RCuber for the clarity. Yes it's now in range of 4.8 to 5k.
Also does anyone has any idea if win xp sp3 can detect and be installed on SSD?

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Just a related question..Warranty of SSD say Samsung EVO 850 is say 5 years/ 150TBW. So how does manufacturer know the total TB written? Is this incrementally stored somewhere just like how SMART maintains PowerON Hours, Counts etc?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Some chip might store the write data.

Check this thread. 150TBW on an average will take 10 years if you write 40GB per day.
Samsung 850 pro warranty: How long to reach 150TBW ? [Solved] - Samsung - Storage

Anandtech specs say 150TB (82GB/day for 5 years)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (120GB, 250GB, 500GB & 1TB) Review

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Some chip might store the write data.

Check this thread. 150TBW on an average will take 10 years if you write 40GB per day.
Samsung 850 pro warranty: How long to reach 150TBW ? [Solved] - Samsung - Storage

Anandtech specs say 150TB (82GB/day for 5 years)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (120GB, 250GB, 500GB & 1TB) Review
Introducing the SSD Endurance Experiment - The Tech Report - Page 1

The SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead - The Tech Report - Page 1

TL;DR it shows that SSD actually last a lot longer than they are rated for

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
SSD actually last a lot longer than they are rated for
Yes I understand..what happens if TBW reached (though normally it may not considering average usage and duration) but years are still left. Is the warranty then over?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yes I understand..what happens if TBW reached (though normally it may not considering average usage and duration) but years are still left. Is the warranty then over?

What do you think ? Yes, as stated in warranty terms.

This drive is meant for home use.

DK_WD

WD Official
I think only WD black is meant to be used for surveillance purposes.

Hi [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION],

For your information, any WD internal drive can be used as a boot drive in PC. In WD, there are different type of drives represented by different colors. The WD Purple drive highly recommended to use for surveillance purpose, but if you use as a normal drive, it will function like a normal hard drive too. It has inbuilt function to view videos in high-definition framework.

To check the specification of WD purple, you may refer to the link below:

Support Answers

The WD Black is the use of high performance like gaming, video editing and etc. WD Black models are available from 500GB to 4TB.

The following link describes the specifications for WD Black HDD.

WD Black = Speed/high end use, extended warranty

Support Answers

The following link describes the comparison for WD internal HDD:

Support Answers

Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom