Looking for softwares for s60

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
before anyone suggests it, I have googled a lot and even binged! didn't help:???:

So I thought forum users could solve my problem. I have got a new Nokia 5230 (Symbian Series60 v5). I am looking for a few softwares which are best in their class (class of freewares, I mean)

1. mp3 player - the inbuilt one really doesn't have many features
2. office suite - free options don't seem to be available, even a viewer will do
3. PDF reader - I got foxit reader, but it asks for python runtime or something
4. Home screen enhancement - Is it possible to place more shortcuts on the home screen? Atleast, a shortcut to the SMS inbox
5. Twitter client - I know there are many, few are free to, but which is the best
6. E-mail Attachments - How can I send attachments using gmail?
7. motion based games - Any racing games like the one in 5800?
8. File compression - Supporting rar format, I have a software for zip

I know 5800 is a really popular phone and many are using it. most of the apps will work even on 5230, so please suggest. This thread might be useful to others too, so please keep suggesting.

And I am open to paid softwares also as long as they are within Rs. 150-200.

BTW, X-plore is a really good software, the free version only has a 3 second nag screen, but the features justify it. jpeg preview, doc & docx viewer, zip support, simply great.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

Oh yes, and also something which will enable me to view & write hindi properly on this phone

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
getjar.com is the best site for free softwares. you can also try Ovi Store (this can either be installed on mobile or you can visit the Ovi site). It will surely surprise you... :)

There are many sites which share cr@cked softwares....I am sure azzu has PMed you them as well ;)

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
do u ppl think that with over 700 posts i'm such a noob not to know about cr@ck3d software?!! ;-)
But i don't want to use them, i want it licensed or free as far as possible. But thanks for the suggestions, i'll try mobile9 & dotsis and post again

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Install Python & then it should work.

Have you tried it? it is completely safe? I mean, are you sure the phone won't throw up bugs or something after installation? I don't want to play with my new phone, maybe after a couple of months or so I'll be more open to installing things and playing around with my phone

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Have you tried it? it is completely safe? I mean, are you sure the phone won't throw up bugs or something after installation? I don't want to play with my new phone, maybe after a couple of months or so I'll be more open to installing things and playing around with my phone

I don't have an s60v5 phone but installing Python should have no side effects on your phone. Go ahead try it.

1. mp3 player - Tunewiki-with lyrics (freeware -get it from ovi)
2. office suite - mobisoft office suite- added google docs support (ppt,doc,xls etc- or Quickoffice v6 (upgrade)- free addition, giving you Word, Excel and Powerpoint viewing with full touchscreen support.)
3. PDF reader - adobe reader (paid) or djvu and pdf reader (I use both..for pdf adobe is best..and for compression of novels and books djvu works very well and its freeware)
4. Home screen enhancement - vodaphone homescreen (freeware) or MyPhone Infinite which is a Google Android emulator for Symbian based phones like Nokia 5800 and N97(shareware)
5. Twitter client -gravity (includes facebook-the best apps for twitter and facebook or Snaptu freeware or Tweets60 -freeware)
6. E-mail Attachments - Mail for exchange,
7. motion based games - check this thread
8. File compression - winrar (freeware) or you can use xplorer (Although shareware, it only has the one 3-second nag screen and there's no time limit to your trial and you can use this for .rar and zip support.)

Some of the other freewares that are useful apps are given below:

1. The Musician's Swiss Knife and Chords
2. S60 Internet Radio
3. TFL Tube Map
4. X-plore-
5. Paint Pad
6. Psiloc World Traveler
7. Palringo
8. Mobbler
9. Qik
10. Fring and Nimbuzz
11. PhoneTorch
12. Files on Ovi
13. Opera Mini
14. google apps like gmail, gmaps etc

You can find more with google "top 25 freewares for s60 5th edition"

Let me know if there are other apps you need in freewares..and I will post it..:D:D

Last edited:
OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Thanks, looks like you've done a lot of research on these too. I'll post my experience with the softwares you have suggested. I am already using x-plore which is a great software and also for email I'm using nokia messaging for now till it goes paid.
I used to think that it was possible not to use pirat3d/cr@cked software, but after seeing the prices, I know it's plain impossible. If I buy all the 4 or 5 softwares which I really want and that do not have free alternatives, I'll end up paying more than half the phones price for that much only.
I can hardly find an app which is priced below $10 or euro 5 (in ovi store) and most of them are priced between $20-30. It seems as if people spend there whole life developing just one app. iPhone apps are cheaper I suppose. I mean, I never imagined that it would be hard to find an app below Rs. 1000 even for my phone.
It's not the people's fault that they are using pirated softwars, it's the fault of the developers. The prices are exorbitant and no one can buy small apps like an mp3 player for Rs. 1200 or PDF reader for Rs. 750.

One question, I installed python runtime, but still when I install softwares which needs it, I get an error message saying python runtime is required. can anyone help?

Have you installed the current version of python ?? or the version given in the post above ??

Try installing it through sw update and then I think there will not be any problem. You can install djvu and pdf reader there is no need for python and its freeware and works well.
Do install the updated version of nokia messaging (10.2.0.26) and it supports attachments and more features.

PS: its not impossible as you have mentioned..there are many apps that can fulfill your requirements.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I installed nokia messaging. I have a few more questions:

Anyone used gDesk? how is it?
Is nokia messaging & ovi mail the same software or different?

regarding python, it needs to be installed on phone memory, I installed on card, that's why it didn't work

Tune wiki is good, I'm using it
Got all the other softwares and liking my phone even more now. I didn't get many freewares & prices were to high for me, so i installed what I got. You know what I mean!!!

Anyone used gDesk? how is it?

Its waste of resource..there are many better alternatives available.

Is nokia messaging & ovi mail the same software or different?

Code:
*blogs.nokia.com/messaging/index.php/2010/06/21/nokia-messaging-vs-ovi-mail-%E2%80%94-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference/

Code:
regarding python, it needs to be installed on phone memory, I installed on card, that's why it didn't work

I think you have installed python 2.0..uninstall it and install "PowerPython4All" which is updated customized version of python and can be installed in memory card.

Code:
Tune wiki is good, I'm using it

Yup..try the latest updated version..its like iphone mp3 player.

Got all the other softwares and liking my phone even more now. I didn't get many freewares & prices were to high for me, so i installed what I got. You know what I mean!!!

I'm not clear on this..let me know what else you require in the freeware section and I will post it..you can probably get everything in freewares category too !!

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Mostly I'm using freewares only except gravity & quickoffice. I plan on buying quickoffice some day as it is a very good software & it is a suite, so a slightly higher price is justified. I'm just waiting for some time as I have just bought my phone & spent a bit on it. it is priced @ Rs. 884, but a couple of days back they were giving a 200 bucks discount. I'm waiting for a better offer of this kins.
Gravity is in trial period, may be I'll try a few other twitter client after the trial period expires.
myPhone Infinite is a paid app.
One more question, I have just quickoffice & nokia maps on my phone memory, but only 25MB out of 80MB is free, where is the rest? is there a way to free some more memory?

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

I also need a scientific calculator. I got one from getjar.com, but it's not working in full screen mode although it is accepting touch input. You wrote something about editing a manifest file in the other thread. can you help me with that code, I cannot find the manifest file. I don't know anything about java but I know a bit of HTML, javascript & flash action script. SO maybe I'll figure it out if you elaborate a bit. This is what you had written:

For games that are not working full screen..You have to edit the MF (manifest) file in the jar (using winrar to open) and add all of the below (just use Copy/paste). So game will know it has to work in landscape mode from the beginning..Enjoy playing full screen games now.

Code:
Nokia-MIDlet-Category: Game
Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation: landscape
Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
Nokia-MIDlet-No-Exit: true

P.S.: Or you could just tell me if there is a good sci-cal app available.

One more question, I have just quickoffice & nokia maps on my phone memory, but only 25MB out of 80MB is free, where is the rest? is there a way to free some more memory?
Probably you should try finding the apps that are installed in phone memory through apps manager..mostly nokia email, maps, quickoffice, adobe apps like this takes phone memory..but from my personal opinion it doesn't really matter if phone memory is less than 30mb..if you feel the memory is low..try deleting the stuff not needed that are installed in phone memory.

PS: I have installed almost anything and everything..my ph memory is still 38mb !!

for the sci-calc..I tried two and they are working well in fullscreen..this file includes 4 calc..probably you can try all and offcourse they are freewares !! (those who are tested are rename as tested)

Code:
*www.ziddu.com/download/10575308/coolbuddy_neer.rar.html

Let me know if you need anymore freewares..I'm always ready to help !!:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom