Looking for new configuration: Budget Rs. 35000

Mycroft2046

Broken In
First of all, the mandatory questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: It's my only PC. I'm a computer science researcher, so my works are varied. However, considerable part of the tasks I will perform on the system are as follows:

• 10-bit HEVC encoding
  • Editing 14bit RAW photos of resolution 16 Megapixel in Photoshop CC
  • Single and Multithreaded Programming in C++, Python and Haskell
  • Compressing files of size greater than 10GB with FreeArc
  • Extensive vector graphics work in Illustrator
  • Modelling and simulation of systems in Mathematica and Matlab

I am not much of a gamer, but I do dabble in some of the recent games like Call of Juarez, Bioshock Infinity, Crysis 2, Far Cry 3, Just Cause 2, etc. I do not need to play them in Ultra settings. Though not an avid gamer, I would obviously like it if I can run current games, albeit at medium settings.

2. What is your overall budget?
Ans: Rs. 35000, with a tolerance of Rs. 3000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No. However, the potential to overclock is always welcome.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10, Kali Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora: all 64-bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None. I already have hard disks with 8TB space (including external HDDs).

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I already have one. It's LG Flatron E2040T, 20 inch, with resolution of 1600 x 900. It has gotten long in the tooth, but I will replace it only when it fails. The replacement will likely be a Full HD monitor of 24 inch diagonal size.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet, Keyboard, Mouse, HDD, Optical Disk, Monitor, Speaker.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within the next 15-20 days.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will assemble it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Kolkata. As I am on a tight budget, I am willing to buy locally as well as online, wherever the price is lower.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: A lot.

Things I would like to say:

I am upgrading from i3-530 coupled with Intel DH55TC and XFX HD5750 1GB. That system has lasted me for more than 5 years and is still kicking. But with the dreaded Microsoft deadline knocking at the door, coupled with Windows 10's devious license policy (License expires when Motherboard expires), I am looking for a new system.

So far, I have narrowed down to this configuration:

Motherboard: Asus H170 Pro OR MSI H170 Gaming M3
CPU: Intel i3-6100
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
PSU: Corsair VS450

According to my estimate based on online prices (Amazon, Flipkart and MD Computers), this configuration leaves me with a budget of around Rs. 15000 for my graphics card. I was planning on getting Zotac GTX 950 AMP!, when a dizzying avalanche of suggestions from my friends has left me utterly bewildered. Now, I can't decide between GTX 950, RX 470, R9 270X and a crapload of other cards. To make things even worse, the difference in prices of NVidia and AMD cards in India, and Europe and America are utterly confusing, which makes calculation of price-performance ratio even harder. I think that AMD cards in India are priced higher, which completely changes the adage "AMD gives more performance per dollar than NVidia".

So, at last, I have planned to outsource this decision to you guys. Let me know which graphics card will be the best fit for my budget. Also let me know if I can do better with the configuration of other components within the mentioned budget. I would however like to make the system future-proof (if that concept even exists with modern computing), as I plan on using this system for the coming 5-6 years, which is why I have gone with LGA 1151 socket instead of LGA1150.

Any comment or suggestion is earnestly requested.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Processor: Intel Core i3 6100 -9000,
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2 -5000,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz -2500,
SMPS: Antec VP550P -4000,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3700,
GPU : Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB -9000.
TOTAL -33,200.

OP
M

Mycroft2046

Broken In
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2 -5000,
SMPS: Antec VP550P -4000,
TOTAL -33,200.

Thanks for the configuration. :grin_NF:
However, I have a few qualms regarding the Mobo and GPU. H110 and 750 Ti are both too low-end, which is why I wanted H170 (perhaps in future, I might use crossfire) and Zotac GTX 950 AMP. Perhaps you could suggest something of that range.

I do not need an HDD, as I already have one. And as for the SMPS, wont Antec VP550P be an overkill for my system? If I ever change my CPU, or my graphics card, I will also change my PSU too. Will VS 450 suffice for the current system? I am sticking with VS 450 because its price in local market is less than 2.5k. That will provide the leeway to go for GTX950.

Also, I heard that Rashi, the warranty provider for Asus, is abysmal, which is why I would prefer a MSI or Gigabyte board.

- - - Updated - - -

However, I have a few qualms regarding the Mobo and GPU. H110 and 750 Ti are both too low-end, which is why I wanted H170 (perhaps in future, I might use crossfire) and Zotac GTX 950 AMP. Perhaps you could suggest something of that range.

I do not need an HDD, as I already have one. And as for the SMPS, wont Antec VP550P be an overkill for my system? If I ever change my CPU, or my graphics card, I will also change my PSU too. Will VS 450 suffice for the current system? I am sticking with VS 450 because its price in local market is less than 2.5k. That will provide the leeway to go for GTX950.

Also, I heard that Rashi, the warranty provider for Asus, is abysmal, which is why I would prefer a MSI or Gigabyte board.

Okay. I looked through the reviews about VS450, and I concur with you. Even a cursory search of the VS450 reviews tells me that it is quite horrible. So, Antec it is. But, is there any decent PSU within 3000-3500 range? Perhaps something like this: Deepcool 500W Power Supply 80Plus Bronze Certified (DA500)

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. I looked through the reviews about VS450, and I concur with you. Even a cursory search of the VS450 reviews tells me that it is quite horrible. So, Antec it is. But, is there any decent PSU within 3000-3500 range? Perhaps something like this: Deepcool 500W Power Supply 80Plus Bronze Certified (DA500)

Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-D3H -7500,
SMPS: Antec VP450 -2300,
TOTAL -34,000.

truegenius

UNPREDICTABLE
Processor: AMD FX-8320 Rs9900
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P, Rs5700
RAM: Gskill sniper 2x8GB , Rs6600 Amazon.in: Buy G.SKILL SNIPER SERIES F3-2400C11D-16GSR/2 x 8GB/PC3-19200 / DDR3 2400 Mhz Online at Low Prices in India | G.Skill Reviews & Rating
SMPS: Antec VP650 , Rs3800
SSD: kingston uv400 240GB , Rs4500 Amazon.in: Buy Kingston 240GB SATA SSD SUV400S37/240G 2.5" Internal Hard Drive Online at Low Prices in India | Kingston Reviews & Rating
GPU : Zotac GTX750Ti 2GB , Rs8700.
TOTAL 28+5%tax+11100 = 40600 or 36100 without ssd

Explained
your work use multithread very well, HEVC encoding takes advantages of all cores and new instructions, compressing is multithreaded ( i suggest 7zip because it uses lzma2 which is better than freearc lzma, iirc lzma is single threaded ) and lzma2 with 4 threads 1GB dictionary use 15GB ram. mathematecia, illustrator, matlab recommends 4+core cpu with 8+GB ram. thus fx8320 with 8 core coupled with 16GB ram will suit your work.

Also take specified ram only, because some ram like hyperx have 300ns tRFC due to which they perform considerably slow in compression tasks at same speed ( even a 1600mhz 160ns is much better than 1866mhz 300ns ), sniper and vengence have 160ns tRFC and above sniper is fast too :D .

I included ssd for main os and greatly improve overall responsiveness of pc, though if you save all your work in c drive and 240GB os not enough then you can skip this.

Components without link are from cost to cost price list.

Top Bottom