Looking for a ASUS mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

src2206

In the zone
Hi

I am looking for an ASUS mobo based on Intel Chipset [preferably 945 based] to support C2D E6300 processor. This board should support dual channel memory atleast upto 4 GB, with PCI and PCIe slots. It should be upgradeable and able to support Intel Extreme graphics.

Does any one tell me whether there is any and what can be the price?

Thank you.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Hello assasin
Thank you for your reply.
Basically I am on a low budget presently. One of my friend here in Kolkata suggested that original Intel board based on 945 chipset which will come for around Rs 3500. But I am not inclined to buy Intel original because of their horrific service reputation.

So could you please tell a bit more about the above board and a review thread if you have?
I am also open for other vendors provided that do not thwart the performance and processor.

I am going to buy 1GB transcend DDR2 533 MHz RAM also.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Thanks john
But the board does not seem to support Intel's extreme graphics and has no firewire port and does not suppotr 800 FSB RAM :(
Moreover it is Micro ATX, I would prefer to have a ATX one.

Isn't there any thing from ASUS?

assasin

Banned
for C2D its better to but 965 chipset mobos.
since u want onboard gfx,then Asus P5B-VM.

*www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/22/four_microatx__mobos_for_core_2/

and if u dont wanna onboard gfx,then u can buy MSI P965 Neo-F.
remember that u'll get better performance with a P965 chipset than with a G965 chipset.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Hello Assasin
Thank you for your reply.

After going through various webpages and prices, I am giving a serious thought about the following AMD config which will cost me less than Intel system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2 Rs6500
Asus M2A-VM Rs4000
Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz 2k
Seagate 160GB SATA2 HDD 2.2k
Zebronics ATX with 500W Pure Platinum SMPS Rs3000

The above prices are all tentetive and I hope to get less than the above atleast by few 100.

The Intel one that I have zeroed down is as follows:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 [4 MB L2 Cache] Rs7850
Motherboard - Intel DG965RY Rs4700
RAM - Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz Rs1900
HDD - Seagate 160GB SATA2 Rs2200
Cabby/SMPS - Zebronics ATX with 400W Pure Platinum SMPS Rs2500

If you look at the processors the only real difference is their cache size. The AMD one boasts a 512x2 MB L2 cache whereas the Intel one offers 4 MB shared L2 cache.

So I am pretty confused which one will give me better performance. Does the cache size really matter a lot?

I am generally in Video editing and Multimedia content development.

Please see if you [or any one else] could clear my doubt. :(

Thank you.

rahul30

Techzilla!
brother i just saw ur 2 configs..

firstly and more importantly the cache memory factor for amd is not that important because of its architecture...and also cache memory doesnt make ur pc slower but on the other hand doesnt make it faster..lol..figure it out...

secondly perfromance has more to do with a good ram and gpu rather than a processor...and also for the price ur willing to pay...if u want future upgradability i think core 2 duo series are better for you and perhaps u can go with E4300 and overclock it...coz after july 22nd prices for quad core are gonna drop as low as 12k...

thirdly if ur going by the current performance then buy E4400 because in many websites its shown that its peformance is at par with E6320...and the performance of amd x2 4800 is a bit below E6400...but for the price u pay for amd motherboard and processor is value for money...also with amd processor u have the luxury of buying an extra 1 gb ram which i think is much better...
coz amd x2 4800 with 2gb ram is much better than intel E6320 with 1gb ram...

finally to sum up with if u want to upgrade ur pc or overclock it buy E4400 @ 6k and if ur not upgrading regularly buy amd x2 4800 and wait for barcelona quad core to release in christmas...hope that helps u

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Hello rahul

Thank you for your reply. :)

I should have mentioned this:

"I am not a geek and I won't be one" :D 'cause I beleive I really do not have enough time to study, experiment and attain that status.

Overclocking for me is not an option. I do not dare to touch the processor after it is installed. I really can't take the chance as in case of any mishap it will bring a considerable financial loss to me.

Regarding upgrade yes I am interested to do that. I would love to wait till the end of July but my old rig has found a buyer with a good price and I can't let him slip. After that I can't stay nearly two months without a PC and my present party can not wait two monts to buy the present rig of mine.

For me upgradation really means increasing ram and adding a PCIe graphics card. As I pointed out I hardly play any games but Ido a lot of video a multimedia work..

In light of my above comments what is your opinion?

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
You can also see this:
C2D E4300 - 5k excellent overclocker.
XFX 650i Ultra - 6k nice board with good overclocking option.
RAM,HDD and other stuff you decide.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Overclocking for me is not an option.

As I said in my last post.... :D

Is there any real difference between 945 and 965 chipsets? I would like to upgrade the processor to Quad Core after the Barcelona Quad core is launched from AMD stable at the end of this year. I hope then Intel will surely lower its quad core price to affordable level. So my intention is to just change the CPU keeping other things like mobo same.

Last edited:

rahul30

Techzilla!
wat i figure out from ur post is that ur more inclined for buying intel configuration...so mention ur budget and we can perhaps build a good system overall...also mention wat things u require

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Thank you for your reply Rahul

I need:

1. CPU (pref E6320)
2. MB (may be based on 945 [not sure] but pref from ASUS)
3. PSU including cabinet
4. FDD
5. 1 GB DDR2
6. 160 GB SATA

Intended use: Video editing and conversion. I do not intend to overclock.

I would like to upgrade to quad core (when the price falls to affordable level) without changing the MB or other HWs in future

Budget: 18-19K ( Iknow I am bit low, but thats the reality I have to accept :( )

assasin

Banned
src2206 said:
Is there any real difference between 945 and 965 chipsets?

FSB : 945 -> 800MHz ,, 965 -> 1066MHz
SouthBridge: 945 -> ICH7 Family ,, 965 -> ICH8 Family
RAM: 945 -> DDR2 533,667MHz ,, 965 -> 533,667,800MHz

performance of 965 is better as compared to 945.

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
no no dont get a 945 board for c2d
p965 is really best mobo for c2d price and performance ratio wise

proc alone dosent make pcs fast
you need to have
a good chipset
plus fast ram
plus a sata raid to make it worth

am2 x2 5200+ with 570 ultra outbeats e6300 with 945(not p965 or 975)

so i think you got it

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone

Any specific suggestion for the other components?

and does Intel DG965RY board has onboard graphics and gives good chances of upgradation in future (pref to Quad Core)? I went to the site but could not figure it out. :|

rahul30

Techzilla!
src2206 said:
Thank you for your reply Rahul

I need:

1. CPU (pref E6320)
2. MB (may be based on 945 [not sure] but pref from ASUS)
3. PSU including cabinet
4. FDD
5. 1 GB DDR2
6. 160 GB SATA

Intended use: Video editing and conversion. I do not intend to overclock.

I would like to upgrade to quad core (when the price falls to affordable level) without changing the MB or other HWs in future

Budget: 18-19K ( Iknow I am bit low, but thats the reality I have to accept :( )

for ur budget go for amd machine because its real value for money...and u can hope that the quad cores of amd are better priced when dey release in christmas...i m not suggesting u intel because 945 motherboards suck...its better u go for amd ...much much better value for money...

1) amd x2 4800 - rs. 6300
2) asus m2a-vm - rs. 4000
3) 2 gb ddr2 ram- rs. 4100
4) 160 gb hard disk- rs. 2250
5) cabinet/smps- zebronics cabinet with 500w smps- rs. 1500-2000

even with a low budget u get 2gb ram system which is awesome! go for this anyday man

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Thank you very much rahul :)

As I was going through many reviews and tests I found out that C2D prforms far better when it comes to multitasking. As AV and MM work involves a lot of multi tasking I think that I have no option but to go for C2D. I have decided to extend my already stretched budget and I have decided to for C2d E6320 and Intel DG965RYCK board. I sincerely hope that I can manage all within 20K including VAT.

I hope you shall agree with my view.

Regards

Last edited:

vivekbabbudelhi

shadow hunter
hmm..

i would like to pin point some aspects

since u are in av editing & CONVERSION

i mean CONVERSION requires a lot of disk I/O so to get max out of any rig u need to have high disk I/O
so what i suggest is a raid 5 setup with 3 hdds
its better than raid 1 in speed and better than raid 0 in terms of data failure

u must wonder why all mobos today feature a raid controller ?
i think u should think about it.

if u are a professional in av then u must have it.

second dont buy intel d boards .
get a asus or msi or gbt mobo. inteld board dont support many high perf. ram modules.plus asus/msi/gbt have robust replacement policy.

let me tell u my gbt mobo had gone crappy in just 6 mths. so i got a brand new replacement mobo from gbt.

third dont buy a igp solution .integrated gpu really reduces cpu performance.and ur av work is just a cpu hog

so my suggestion is msi p965 neo-f with a 6200 card with raid 5

assasin

Banned
vivekbabbudelhi said:
so my suggestion is msi p965 neo-f with a 6200 card with raid 5

ur suggestion is a good one, but in no way he is gonna manage all that stuff in 20k.he'll hav to increase his budget by atleast another 5k.so it wud be best to forget bout RAID setup as of now.
get the mobo and the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom