LINUX N00B NEEDS SERIOUS HELP.ITS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey .. ]
i am new with linux.. i have tried many distros but cudnt find any that suited my needs.. yesterday i installed ubuntu from digit dvd.. but i cant open dat and mpeg files in totem and also mp3 files.. i got a multimedia player for linux given in digit dvd but i dont know how to install it.. when i give command ":make" it says no c compiler found .. and how do i install kde which was given in the digit dvd? and also i need drivers for my modem too........... cud anyone give me a link to starters guide to ubuntu??
its my last straw .. thats all.. thats it.. NOW IF I CUDNT CONFIGURE THIS DISTRO THEN I WILL LEAVE LINUX FOR GOOD .. and then suicide........................not really LOL

demoninside

In the zone
to run mplayer check it's source,
or i thing it might run .deb pacage too,

from source u need to seek one hidden file (*it should be in base folder) file is(configure) so go to terminal & command ("./configure") after this command("make") in same terminale coz configure makes make package
then command "make check" then "make install"

then after this complete run with command "mplayer"
just associte this command with each ur video file,

for playing mp3(u can run in mplayer too) download XMMS for ubuntu or it's source then install it in the same manner

find one text file install in the soure it will tell u hw to install one software
and by the way if u hv internal modem then no success for me too so cann't help

tuxfan

Technomancer
To start with I would suggest you first decide which distro you want to use. Search at this forum and you will find many opinions on various distros. But you take the final decision on your own.

I will suggest Mandrake or PCQLinux. I use the former at home and the later at office. Both are nice and both come with all the softwares that you will require for your all basic needs like MP3, VCD, Email, Office Suite, Browser, etc. and there are loads of other stuff. :)

You can also have a look at Knoppix or Gnoppix. They are live distros and will run directly off a CD.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Well.. I would say you took the right decision to install Ubuntu...

Continue with it and install the required pkgs and plugins using Synaptic Package Manager(Menu->System->Synaptic)

One way to install KDE, you have to install using Synaptic pkg manager...

From other sources, I dunno :sad:

Plz wait for others to respond!!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom