Linux Mint 14 (64-bit) facing issues!!!

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
The Linux Mint-14(64-bit) a.k.a. NADIA is successfully running onto my Desktop PC,except two issues:--->

1). The mouse pointer freezes up,when I am in writing(keyboard user) mode.I have to click left/right button and then activate it to make functional.
What problem is this?
Any solutions?
This is occurring in Mate desktop and as well as in KDE desktop.

2). The GPU (XFX HD Radeon 4650 DDR2)temp. is showing 52 degrees Celsius (Idle mode) inspite of Winter season.
All my HDD's(SEAGATE) are hovering at 30~33 degrees and CPU (AMD Phenom II 560 Black Edition,socket AM3)at 23~27 degrees respectively.
Temp. of GPU in Windows 7 is showing 40 degrees Celsius.

What are the problems in Mint Linux 14?
My previous Mint Linux 13(MAYA) was a cool & super Linux distro to use.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Re: Linux Mint-14(64-bit) facing issues!!!

Post your detailed PC config, along with manufacturer & model number please.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^Well this is as it is my Friend:--->

Component Manufacturer Model No. Features

1. CPU AMD Phenom II X2 z560 Socket AM3,Black Edition,3.3Mhz,45nm SOI

2. Motherboard BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M Socket AM2+ ,IGP AMD HD4200

3. RAM KINGSTON KVR667D2N5/1G 2 x 1GB + 2 x 2GB,DDR2,667Mhz all
TS256MLQ64V6U 6GB(Total)
TRANSCEND

4. HDD SEAGATE ST3500418AS 500GB
ST3250318AS ST35004138AS 250GB 500GB = 1.25TB(Total)[NO RAID SYSTEM]
(SATA2 type,Barracuda series,7200.12)

5. GPU XFX HD-465X-ZDFC ATi Radeon HD4650GDDR2,1GB,PCI-e

6. Optical ASUS & DRW-24B3ST DVD-writer,X-multi format
Drive LITE-ON ATAPI iHAS124

7. FDD GENERIC - Floppy Drive

8. MONITOR PHILIPS 202EL2SB/94 20",TFT- Backlit LED Panel Monitor
1600X900 resolution

9. KEYBOARD
MOUSE AMKETTE ASHBLACK USB ports connector,Optical Scroll mouse,
Spill resistant

10. SPEAKERS I-BALL TARANG 2.1 Wood casing,2.1 speakers,400Watts RMS.

11. CABINET I-Ball i771 ATX Cabinet,3x80mm Fans(customised)
Only 2USB ports in front

12. SMPS AEROCOOL E78-530 530Watts,44A total rating in 12V rails(Dual)
78% Efficiency,active PFC,silent

13. UPS INTEX BLACK ARMOUR 725 600vA

Some of the components may be crappy,but still withstanding...

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

Did you install the propreitary drivers for your graphics card? If you haven't then install them via hardware-drivers.. This should fix the card heating issue..

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^As my GPU is from Radeon HD4xxx series which is very much dated,so it will support only legacy drivers,that upto 12.6 version according to AMD.
In fact Linux Mint 13(MAYA) had a support for the drivers,but from 14(NADIA) onwards...that support is not present as it seems.
The Linux Mint 14 is running on "Mesa" drivers for my desktop.

What about mouse pointer issues???

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

Mesa drivers are pathetic.. Infact, the official ATI driver from AMD for Linux is pathetic.. I doubt it will support your card. Why don't you install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which will fix these issues on your system? Moreover, regarding mouse pointer, it has to be related to the X.Org file on Mint but I don't think that you should mess with it until you know what your are doing. One last piece of advice, ATI's support for Linux is pathetic, you better switch to NVIDIA cards which have awesome support.

Krow

Crowman

Nadia has a feature which disables mouse while typing. I think it can be disabled from settings>mouse.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^^tried mouse settings within Linux-mint,but in vain.Would you elaborate more about settings of mouse
Please explan.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Regarding the mouse problem.

I know what you mean since I use the same setup in my laptop on Arch Linux. When I'm on battery, I disable the mouse and then click it to activate it. (to save battery)

I want to know whether you have "laptop-mode-tools" installed. (most probably not, but dunno if Mint comes with it by default)

Check through this:
Code:
dpkg -s laptop-mode-tools

If it is installed, then do this: *www.hecticgeek.com/2012/06/fix-usb-mouse-not-working-laptop-mode-tools-ubuntu/

Otherwise do this:

Code:
sudo -i
Code:
for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/autosuspend; do echo -1 > $i; done

Regarding your GPU temperature problem, most likely you're using the open source driver. That's why 10 degree higher temperature for your GPU.
Code:
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
Get me the output of this:
Code:
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

Mesa drivers are pathetic.. Infact, the official ATI driver from AMD for Linux is pathetic.. I doubt it will support your card. Why don't you install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which will fix these issues on your system? Moreover, regarding mouse pointer, it has to be related to the X.Org file on Mint but I don't think that you should mess with it until you know what your are doing. One last piece of advice, ATI's support for Linux is pathetic, you better switch to NVIDIA cards which have awesome support.
Dunno when was the last time you either used xf86-video-ati or the binary blob of ATi.

If awesome support from nVidia means not supporting randr for 2 years and not supporting nouveau people, I'd gladly choose ATi for their open source driver which can run games as well and even for their binary blob on LTS distros. Catalyst has also made Arch's repo btw.

Plus switching between nVidia Optimus and Intel HD graphics is a PITA from what I have experienced. My HD 6470M and Intel HD graphics (HP laptop) works well.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Regarding the mouse problem.

I know what you mean since I use the same setup in my laptop on Arch Linux. When I'm on battery, I disable the mouse and then click it to activate it. (to save battery)

I want to know whether you have "laptop-mode-tools" installed. (most probably not, but dunno if Mint comes with it by default)

Check through this:
Code:
dpkg -s laptop-mode-tools

My output:--->

sonataban-TA785GE-128M ~ # dpkg -s laptop-mode-tools
dpkg-query: package 'laptop-mode-tools' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
sonataban-TA785GE-128M ~ #

Regarding your GPU temperature problem, most likely you're using the open source driver. That's why 10 degree higher temperature for your GPU.

Get me the output of this:
Code:
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

Here it's ico,my Friend:--->

sonataban-TA785GE-128M ~ # glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730
sonataban-TA785GE-128M ~ #

It seems Gallium(open source) driver is installed.
Can I disable Gallium drivers,and install this:--->

*support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeon_linux.aspx

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Freshly reinstalled Mint-Linux 14(64bit) onto my system.
All issues gone (mouse problem) except the temp. of GPU ,due to native MESA drivers...

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

After upgradation of kernel-3.5.0.23.29(normal default upgrade/update)in Linux Mint-14...a problem has started relating to SHUTDOWN.All other programs/applications are functioning and running O.K.
When I am clicking the shutdown icon,the Linux Mint takes me to the login screen,whereafter again clicking the shutdown button(radio button),the System refuses to shutdown ,and the screen becomes blank ,while PC remains in ON/RUNNING mode...

@Forum Friends,please help me out.

digit.sh

Journeyman
After upgradation of kernel-3.5.0.23.29(normal default upgrade/update)in Linux Mint-14...a problem has started relating to SHUTDOWN.All other programs/applications are functioning and running O.K.
When I am clicking the shutdown icon,the Linux Mint takes me to the login screen,whereafter again clicking the shutdown button(radio button),the System refuses to shutdown ,and the screen becomes blank ,while PC remains in ON/RUNNING mode...

I would say install the Guake app. Whenever you need to shutdown, call Guake by hitting F12 and then write(as root, or do sudo) "shutdown -h now" or "systemctl poweroff" and voila! You will find this "guake" app very handy for other purposes too.

I would say install the Guake app. Whenever you need to shutdown, call Guake by hitting F12 and then write(as root, or do sudo) "shutdown -h now" or "systemctl poweroff" and voila! You will find this "guake" app very handy for other purposes too.

Top Bottom