Linux installation guidance required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slash_89

hi guys,

i just got ubuntu 7.04(feisty fawn),

these are my querise, plz answer all of them,

1. i have alloted 9.3gb for the main EXT2 partition, is it enough?

2. i have alloted 1.5gb for the SWAP partiton, is it enough?

3. is it better to have EXT2 or EXT3 filesystem?

4. ill definately be installing almost of the available linux softwares, so is te above allocated space sufficient?

5. and what is the SWAP filesystem for?

plz answer all the queries in order,
thnx in advance.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
9.3 GB? the installation itself takes nearly 2 GB so its better u have 15 GB

1.5 GB for swap is enough but consider 2 GB for better performance.

Sykora

I see right through you.
To the best of my knowledge,

1) I'd make it larger. I always seem to run out of space for some reason. Try to go for 15GB or so -- more if you can manage.

2) It looks fine. How much RAM do you have? swap should be roughly 1.5 to 2 times your RAM, but generally not more than 2GB.

3) ext3, because it has journalling.

4) See above.

5) swap is similar to virtual memory in windows. It augments your RAM.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Again I'd recommend 15-20GB. If you can't give any additional space then resize the 1.5GB swap to ~500MB and give the rest 1GB to ubuntu and I guess you'd be keeping non-system data on a shared partition between linux and windows. How much RAM does your system have?
Also, there are other nice file system around but ext3 is considered best for beginners cos of it's stability and maturity.

Pathik

Google Bot
1. 8gb was enuf 4 me..
2. More than enuf
3. Ext3
4. If u r gonna install all packages then u shd keep it 20gb
5.virtual memory.. Similar to swap files in windows..

OP
S

slash_89

ok thnx a lot guys,
i have 1gb of RAM, so ill make the swap around 2gb,
and as for the filesystem ill be making it 15gb,
and whats the difference b\w ext2 and ext3?

mehulved

What are you gonna do with 2GB swap? I have 768MB of RAM and swap usage has never gone beyond 150MB for me. Just make a 300-500MB swap partition unless you're into heavy image editing or multimedia editing and stuff.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Nah..not so much.. Just create a swap partition for around 400 megs.. I have 1 gb of ram and the maximum swap usage has been around 60megs...Plus most of the time swap usage is 0.So don`t waste lot space on swap

OP
S

slash_89

ok thats cleared,

i have a 40gb hdd only for OS,

NOW i have installed:-

1. XP Pro in drive "C:" and this partition is set active, its size is 19gb,

2. im going to install linux in the remaining space, i.e around 18gb
i have formatted a partiton with EXT3 and its space is 17.5gb and it is a primary partition, i have alloted 1.3gb for linux swap, and this is also a primary partition,

3. so now all 3 partitions are primary partitions, and only the XP pro drive("C:") is set active while the 2 linux partitions are not set active

so after i install linux will i have any booting problems?

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Linux will run fine from extended logical partns.mostly Windows will be in primary partn and let it.
what is the use of 1.3Gig swap partn!dude only 300-400 MB is enough for even a busy Desktop user.save ur space for some backups than rather using it as swap.just use menu Applications>Accessories>Terminal and enter the command "free" and press enter to see how much swap do u used?most prolly Zero!.tat;s it.300MB is much enough.with u having 1Gigs of RAM.

OP
S

slash_89

i am unable to install linux,

i have created a ext3 partiton(17gb) and swap partiton(1gb)

when i select the partiton to which linux should be installed i get a message"no root partition selected"

i used the "/" as the mount point for the ext3 partition and "/swap" for the swap partition,

what else should i do,

plz give the details as to how i partition my disk for ubunt ultimat 1.3 and ubuntu feisty fawn(partitioning details for my above disk configuration).;

mehulved

It's not /swap it's just swap. swap isn't below /.
I would recommend just create an empty partition non-formatted. And let the installer handle formatting and creating a file system.
Select the other partition as swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom