Linux Installation Dilemma!!! Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i never used any swap, and most of the time 1/4th of the ram used to be free, but then again never used any prog which used to hog the memory. just casual surfing, multimedia and programming.... swap is essential NOT mandatory!!! many installations recommend that u set up a swap partition but move on wid the installation even if u dont! at least fedora does.....

try doing it man... jus disable ur swap for sometime (format it as ext2/3/fat whatever other than swap) and try to work on it. unless u use some real resource hogger, ur system will run absolutely fine widout a swap! try it.... :)

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
but this fellow just has 256mb of RAM so it'd be better he create a swap.
vignesh if I remember right he was the one who put up a thread here on how to create a swap file in linux.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
vignesh said:
Infra_red_dude , you can aslo create a swap file and add it to the fstab..

exactly, i sometimes used to share windows swap file (on a fat32 partition) but never actually felt the need anyways....

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
tech_your_future said:
but this fellow just has 256mb of RAM so it'd be better he create a swap.

Can i Install Ubuntu KDE by creating swap? Will it run with my current RAM after creating swap?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
KDE should run but it will also be a bit slower, you should be able to get it to work faster with some tweaks. eddie should be able to help you there. But realistically KDE would be a bit slow unless you just do some basic work like text editing and web browsing and stuff.

praka123

left this forum longback
infra_red_dude said:
i never used any swap, and most of the time 1/4th of the ram used to be free, but then again never used any prog which used to hog the memory. just casual surfing, multimedia and programming.... swap is essential NOT mandatory!!! many installations recommend that u set up a swap partition but move on wid the installation even if u dont! at least fedora does.....

try doing it man... jus disable ur swap for sometime (format it as ext2/3/fat whatever other than swap) and try to work on it. unless u use some real resource hogger, ur system will run absolutely fine widout a swap! try it.... :)
My Ubuntu feisty by default uses by swap partn 80-90MB's.that's why.Always create a swap partition @tleast 300MBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom