Linux Installation Dilemma!!! Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Awe, all this days i was busy, so couldn't tweak or make some changes to my system, i free now coz of minor fever, so i would like to install Linux to my system. But i would like to have multiboot, so that i shold not miss both windows and linux, i'm not a linux geek, though i'm addicted to its interface.

I dont want to use Live CD,, So a good linux with some glassy interface is what i want.

Please help me which linux to install and how to install without disturbing my current Windows Installation.

I have 80 GB HDD with 7 Partions:
C: 6 GB (system)
D: 14.8 GB
E: 7.81 GB
F: 9.76 GB
G: 9.76 GB
H: 9.76 GB
I: 15.90 GB

I would like to install it H: coz i'm having unwanted stuff.
So do i want to Format H: to RAW and install Linux to it???

And please recommend me a linux which Digit supplies with its CD/DVD..

Help.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yeah obviously u should. but u can do that from widin linux installation. just change the partition type and format. btw, u'll need 2 more partitions for boot and swap. and h: is not the last partition. i'd suggest that u move the data from ur H: and i: to other drives temporarily and resize those 2 partitions to create 1 partition for ur stuff and 3 partitions for linux (the last sectors for boot / and swap).

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
thanks a lot @ infra, so will it not affect my current installation? I couldn't understand what Swap is.... So after installation can i access the boot menu?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
better dissuus all your linux related queries in open sorce section u will get a better response there

Pathik

Google Bot
you need jus 2 partitions... one for linux and another for swap... install grub in the MBR only... and better go for ubuntu 7.04

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
thanks patix, dear moderator, can u please move this thread to OpenSource???? please

Oh, its already moved, thanks buddy!!!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
swap in linux is different from windows (analogous to the page file). in linux it is usually recommended that you haf a separate partition for swap.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
u can see how much swap is used using cmd "free" in a terminal

no need for sperate /boot for newbie desktop install.but a swap partition(select installer for making a swap) of around 300MB is needed,

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Possible said:
Intel_Gigacore - Around 2.5 to 3 GB

Thank u possible!!!

Ok Guys finally i have got 6 CDs burnt with Fedora Core 6
Disk 1
Disk 2
Disk 3
Disk 4
Disk 5
Rescue Disk.

Now tell me how to install this to my system without daming the current XP installation in my C:

Link containing this tutor would be great!!!

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Delete your H: partition from Windows(as this is the easiest method) Then, pop in your Disc 1. You will get a easy GUI which will guide you. Its as easy as clicking Next in Windows. Usually FC chooses the right amount of swap and partition until you specify it manually. Choose your packages before hand and change CDs when it asks. That's it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom