Linux Getting Hang....Plz Help And Some Silly Ques.....Plz Ans

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey frndz I recently tried to install Red Hat Linux 9......But its asking for HDD driver from a specified list.......But I'm not so advanced user to understand thos drivers.......

Dats y i tried Fedora......But it doesn't hav thos much softwares.....

I tried Ubuntu......But its getting hang and responding very slow......

My Config Is:
Pentium D
Intel D945GCCR
WDC WD1600AAJS-00PSA0 160GB HDD
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N

Currently I'm using Win XP SP3

1. Is this config ok for running Ubuntu?? If yes then wat could be the problem with my one??
2. Is RHL9 compatible with SATA HDD or I need PATA to use tat??
3. According to my config wat distro u recommend??

Now some silly ques....

1. Wat does the word "Generic" means in generic device/drive???
2. Wat is the diff b/w DVDRAM and DVDROM in case of DVDDrives???

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
RHL9 is very, very old. I doubt it will recognise SATA disk. But you can enable legacy mode though.

Fedora has lot of software. Just use yum as root

Code:
yum install <package-name>

And what exact is the problem with the "crash" in Ubuntu?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
It seems a graphics issue. Which graphics card are you using?

If possible post the output of:

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey i never used manual partition.........by default i get "use free long space"....i use dat only......

I know nothing bout linux......can u help me about how many partitions shud i create(plz mention approx sixe) n allocate for wat???

I wont use linux as main........I'll use XP with linux........

N about graphics card......i dnt hav ny external graphics......i use onboard graphics card i.e Intel 82945G Express........

And how to install software in linux????????

Rahim

Married!
You have to create 2 partitions, one (maybe 10 GB) for "/" (root) where the actual OS will be installed. One more (small one) for Swap (512 MB). Use Manual partition option and create these 2 partitions.

Apps are installed thorugh Package Manager and each distro have their own, though all of them have the same function of installing packages smoothly.
In Ubuntu = Synaptic Package Manager
openSUSE = YaST
Fedora = Package Kit.
Get online and then open the package manager and search for the apps and install.
There is an easy and clean way but a little too geeky for first-timers, is to install apps from comman line. Softwares are stored in online repositories.

Rome wasnt bulit in a day and so you wont understand Linux right away. Have patience and an open mind to embrace Linux.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Akways go through the FAQS

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
@OP:
Sorry but You are not able to explain well regarding your problem. :|.

(1) When it "hangs". Does Ctrl+Alt+Backspace work i.e.(it will restart your X in other words log you out and bring you to login screen and it works well again?)
(2) Does Fedora "hang" too? If Fedora doesn't; it seems a distro specific issue. Then try Ubuntu's updates they may solve the problem.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^No fedora runs f9......but Ubuntu hangs.......and rensonds very slowly.....
I tried OpenSUSE, LinuxMint.......all r f9........but tat Ubuntu hangs.........:(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
In that case I'll suggest you to use that Linux Mint. It's the easiest distro from the lot. :)

But you may very well take a plunge to Fedora as well. Just post what you need in Fedora to set it up for you.(or Google it ;) )

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^^^thanx.......thn I'm sticking to Fedora but plz help me bout installing s/w's tat r given in Digit DVD...........

Boss i googled a lot.......but all is filled with commands

And dnt laugh but yet i didnt undrstand y i need net cnnctn to install s/w?????
S/w installatn ka net cnnctn se kya matlab hai yaar

and thos hard word like dependencies/repositories..........
Isse accha to mera XP tha......:(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Don't use Digit DVDs to install programs, period.
Let me quote:
When referring to packages, dependencies are requirements that exist between packages. For example, package foo may require files that are installed by package bar. In this example, bar must be installed, or else foo will have unresolved dependencies. RPM will not normally allow packages with unresolved dependencies to be installed.
Source: *www.linuxselfhelp.com/linuxterms/index/dependencies.html

What this means in layman terms is that for say software A to function, you need software B and C and thus B and C are dependencies for A.

Now the good news is that you *usually* dont have to worry about dependencies. Popular distributions like Fedora have Package Management which handle dependencies automatically.
Even better you have programs like yum(in fedora) which will automatically download the required software from the internet along with its dependencies and install them. These programs reside in the server called the Repository.
This concept is kinda culture shock for Windows users but trust me it is far more efficient and secure. :)

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^^^kuch kuch samajh me aya.........:)
thnx for ur hard effort

one more ques......sumwhr i heard dat we shud allocate swap double of ram.........is it true????

I hav 1GB ram........2moro i'll reinstall fedora as said by a_rahim.......so shud i allocate 2GB swap for my 1GB ram???
Or 512MB is f9 as mentioned by him??????

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
There's no thumb rule for SWAP twice as RAM.
For RAM as "high"(duh!) as 1GB, I don't recommend SWAP double the RAM. Keep it some size larger. I'll suggest 1.1-1.3GB. However 512MB would be OK too but in that case Hibernate will NOT work, so keep in mind.

And no it wasn't that hard work. :))

Rahim

Married!
I am late but when does Ubuntu hang? at Login Screen or after you log in to the desktop?

If you dont have a good net connection, then install Mint as you dont have to download proprietary stuff like codes, flashplayer,java,etc as they are installed by default. Ubuntu doesnt have these by default so have to be downloaded and installed through Synaptic Package Manager.

I know Linux can be very tricky and over-whelming for a new user but gradually one learns and begins to shout 'Linux Rocks!!!!' :D

One more thing about partitions. In Lunux the partitions are named differently than Windows.SUppose you have one hard disk. So
1st partition = /dev/sda1
2nd partition = /dev/sda2

But if you have 2 hard disks, then the second ones would be recognised as
1st partition of 2nd disk = /dev/sdb1 (see the 'b')
Be careful while partitioning and i would suggest you create 2 desired partitions through GParted Live CD and then install the desired Linux Distro.

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I am late but when does Ubuntu hang? at Login Screen or after you log in to the desktop?

Ubuntu langs after login screen. Lemme xplain. Suppose after login I'm working and now I'm going to click tux the mouse moves very slow i.e. responds very slowly........and sometimes it hangs.........Fedora never hanged but Ununtu hangs everytime......Even i can't shutdown I had to restart frm CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom