Linux For Pentium III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nregmi

Broken In
ok my configuration is P3, 700Mhz, 128 Ram, 40 gb hd, 15 inch monitor, dvd rom, intel 810 mother.
I want to install linux on this machine. I will use it only for listening music and watching some videos.
Linux Experience: Beginner

Which is the best linux for my machine. please reply

Also which is better fedora 9 or Suse 11 for my another new desktop? Will use it mostly for multimedia.
ty

Rahim

Married!
openSUSE 11 may not play well with your system. Go for XUbuntu which is Ubuntu with XFCE File Manager : light and easy on resources.
Ubuntu does not come with codecs pre-installed, so you have to download them after install. Easy thing believe me.

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
I was concerned about his RAM.
GeeBox?? It will stutter all the time. His config is quite similar to what i had few months ago and i did try geebox(from Digit CDs) and i had a bad experience.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
the digit guys mess up the distro and it gets confused :p
as he only needs it for music and video, GeeXboX will ROCK
you can also try SliTaZ(recommended if u want to do everthing else too :p), DSL or Puppy(all three are meant for old systems)

CadCrazy

in search of myself
@Rahim a big no to Xubuntu.
Xubuntu ~= Ubuntu as far as sys requirement is concerned

the digit guys mess up the distro and it gets confused :p
as he only needs it for music and video, GeeXboX will ROCK
you can also try SliTaZ(recommended if u want to do everthing else too :p), DSL or Puppy(all three are meant for old systems)

Non of them is a good choice for new users :p

Last edited:
OP
N

nregmi

Broken In
Thanks for the replies, but I am totally confused. There r just so many suggestions.
Can I install fedora 9 or suse 11 in it?
ty

For Old System
I'd say try Linux Mint Or Zenwalk
Mint revived my old PC with similar config :)
Dont go for Ubuntu or OpenSUSE
It is not meant for old PCs, especially if you want multimedia use
For New System,
Need more info on config. However if it is relative new, Use OpenSUSE as it is more user friendly :)
@rahimveron
He has mentioned that he is a beginner. Xfce will make him totally confused :wink:

For Old System
I'd say try Linux Mint Or Zenwalk
Mint revived my old PC with similar config :)
Dont go for Ubuntu or OpenSUSE
It is not meant for old PCs, especially if you want multimedia use
For New System,
Need more info on config. However if it is relative new, Use OpenSUSE as it is more user friendly :)
@rahimveron
He has mentioned that he is a beginner. Xfce will make him totally confused :wink:
You mad ? mint on old PC ? It KILLS most single core PCs bought before 2006 FYKI.
Realise that he is using a Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM. No gnome no kde will work on this.
Xfce IS newbie friendly since its 100% GUI.
ZenWalk is the heaviest distro he can run, and I recommend it as its a newbie distro.
Hopefully he will learn fast and migrate to Arch or CRUX in the future.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
[Offtopic]
@Cadcrazy

Not getting enuf time to complete Mac4Lin. The core part is complete. Waiting on others to submit the FF and TB themes and also finish the documentation.

[/Offtopic]

[Offtopic]
@Cadcrazy

Not getting enuf time to complete Mac4Lin. The core part is complete. Waiting on others to submit the FF and TB themes and also finish the documentation.

[/Offtopic]
Great! Then mail me the core please :D
I am installing Gnome just to test Mac4Lin.

I still think FF looks better with Noia 2.0 theme. Its a bit plain with Mac4Lin theme. :(
What about skins for other GTK apps ? Are you using the same old version ?

You mad ? mint on old PC ? It KILLS most single core PCs bought before 2006 FYKI.
Realise that he is using a Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM. No gnome no kde will work on this.
Xfce IS newbie friendly since its 100% GUI.
ZenWalk is the heaviest distro he can run, and I recommend it as its a newbie distro.
Hopefully he will learn fast and migrate to Arch or CRUX in the future.

I did mention Zenwalk :-|

I did mention Zenwalk :-|
Zenwalk is fine, but Mint is simply crazy. I have no better way to put it, but to even DREAM of running Mint without its minimum requirement of Intel GMA 950 or above graphics, 512MB RAM and a Pentium 4 over 2GHz is insane. Its simply HORRIBLE on computers below that. I know as I have experienced it :cry:

OP
N

nregmi

Broken In
well yesterday i installed fedora 9 .it installed successfully but i can only use it in text mode, no graphical mode lol.

@thewisecrab, well i think i will check them all.:p
i installed fedora 9 and formatted, should i try zenwalk next or dsl or something else?

ok guys what do u think about elive 1.0, i downloaded it through torrent.
ty

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Zenwalk is damn snappy.
I've put it on a system close to yours - a Cel 1.2 Ghz with 128 megs of RAM.
But i went ahead and added another 128 stick. It made a lot of difference.

Disable dri once you're done installing , frees a good amount of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom