Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
This guy is just like his channel name, duplicate. Trying to make a video so as to attract more Linux
Well, he was primarily a windows user, and still makes windows based videos. His main channel is *www.youtube.com/c/ChrisTitusTech. That channel (titus tech talk) was pretty well hidden, so I don't think he is making this video for clickbait. Now, I ain't saying that his view on the matter is not skewed (as I found most of the linux community to be quite friendly)
There are many use cases where only Linux can be used, it doesn't make it toxic.
He says he has problems with those who think only linux should be used, for anything and everything.
Well, the Linux community does have some elitists, but from what this guy is saying, everybody in the Linux community is toxic. Perhaps that person is just giving genuine advise. I think this guy is just overreacting.
Agreed. I think he got frustrated by the fact that he was constantly called out for not using linux.
Like, how can you say that anybody who says "Just use Linux instead" is a toxic individual?
Well, I saw this sentiment being reflected in Linus tech tips too. I quote
At the end of the day, my personal advice is to use the tools that fit you the best whether that's Windows, MacOS, Linux, or even something else entirely. And if these compatibility issues are showstoppers for you, I'm not gonna no wag my finger at you, expect you to find an alternative. What I am gonna do though, is ask you to give it(linux) a try.
I can totally get why they are saying that. (They don't wanna scare away their windows audience for one XD) Linux isn't for everyone, just that it is the OS that is for 85% percent of the population, not windows.

Edit:
Guesswhat? I will start a channel named Rumbitus Tek T1T5 and my first video wud be on the topic... "Why I hate <insert anything that Target audience likes for good reason> ?" And boom channel blow up time.
Are you actually gonna do this for scientific purposes?

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
To echo what Æsoteric Positron said I didn't even know he had this channel. And I am a long time subscriber to his main channel.
I kind of agree for the most part to what Chris said. Only die hard linux fan boys should get offended from his videos. :p

There are a lot of reasons to hate windows, but to give credit where it's due, Microsoft is also making steps towards integrating linux commands on windows, and with it's feature to install softwares using command line, it's becoming harder and harder to hate it. He's like me, who uses windows in his main profession so I am kinda seeing where he's going with it.

I know, I didn't know I would live to see a day to say what I said above, but it's the world we live in.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
Ignore elitists anyway ,but using something thats irregular creates attention,seen this type of things done by many channels
.windows has its role becuase adobe suite exists mainly(I dont have that depth of knowledge,this is my speculation)Those apps are refined to simplicity and perfection.Then there is ms office. But way before everyone was talked into using windows by local shops(pre installs them).so using something different is inconvenient for many.Games support also.because they wanted everything to go proprietary.only that way they can ensure the cash flow and turn it into a big business.Basically its all about makin money outta everything.

so most are used to windows. that gain will reflect upon its software catalogue(if i missed something please do correct)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
they do need quite a bit of boost/uplifting
Someone from the GIMP team replied this to the tweet:

“We worked with a UX architect between 2005 and 2012. Good things came out of it. We make small UX improvements in almost every update now that point releases (e.g. 2.10.24) are allowed to have new stuff. But we don’t have a regular UX contributor or devs for a huge overhaul”

K_akash_i

Journeyman
Someone from the GIMP team replied this to the tweet:

“We worked with a UX architect between 2005 and 2012. Good things came out of it. We make small UX improvements in almost every update now that point releases (e.g. 2.10.24) are allowed to have new stuff. But we don’t have a regular UX contributor or devs for a huge overhaul”
They've alrdy started a small crowdfunding setup.I hope they are able to reach more people through people like Linus or other influencers and collect enough for a big polish .here is the crowdfnding one
this is the other way ppl can help
especially more digital artists should be aware of free and opensource software and atleast try it so that they can get info of what changes to add

Last edited:

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Material Shell - A new desktop experience

Anyone tried this out yet? Provides most of the benefits of using a tiling WM without any drawbacks. It runs over gnome though, so the RAM usage would still be pretty high. As for the efficiency benefits, its all still there, at least for me. The animations are on-par, and I think I am gonna switch to this instead of stock gnome. I tried both i3 (pretty unintuitive and takes time to configure) and PopOS WM shell (didn't feel like a real MW to be honest, was damn clunky.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to use i3-gaps but I kind of got fed up with configuring it. Might come back to it later someday.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
System disk usage hits 100% in Windows 10.
Googles and tried few fix, but nothing works. I would like to try in live Ubuntu and see if it hits 100% there. So I would like to know if there is any tool or command I can use to find if the disk utilization hits 100% even when idle in live Ubuntu.
I googled, the result I am getting is disk usage (occupied/free space in disk) but not utilization. If there is any, let me know guys.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
System disk usage hits 100% in Windows 10.
Googles and tried few fix, but nothing works. I would like to try in live Ubuntu and see if it hits 100% there. So I would like to know if there is any tool or command I can use to find if the disk utilization hits 100% even when idle in live Ubuntu.
I googled, the result I am getting is disk usage (occupied/free space in disk) but not utilization. If there is any, let me know guys.
Theres gtop but I don't remember if it shows disk utilisation. You could install it and check.

In my experience disk usage doesn't go very high in Linux unless you are running something that drives it up. The culprit is usually the Baloo file indexer in other cases. Just terminating the Baloo process resolves this

Reactions: nac

K_akash_i

Journeyman
will any of these work? i think iotop one maybe what u're lookin for .i will look up for a graphical one and post if i find it.look into this also

nac

Aspiring Novelist
will any of these work? i think iotop one maybe what u're lookin for .i will look up for a graphical one and post if i find it.look into this also
Theres gtop but I don't remember if it shows disk utilisation. You could install it and check.

In my experience disk usage doesn't go very high in Linux unless you are running something that drives it up. The culprit is usually the Baloo file indexer in other cases. Just terminating the Baloo process resolves this
Thank you guys.
But I have this doubt. If I am running a live Ubuntu, HDD is gonna be idle. Would it still hit 100%? Anyway I am gonna try that.
And I don't know if I can install those tools in live Ubuntu. But I am gonna give it a try and let you guys know.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Thank you guys.
But I have this doubt. If I am running a live Ubuntu, HDD is gonna be idle. Would it still hit 100%? Anyway I am gonna try that.
And I don't know if I can install those tools in live Ubuntu. But I am gonna give it a try and let you guys know.

linux has a habit, it never mounts the hdd if it is not booting from it. It only mounts the boot disk which can be usb or disk, so it will not even show that disk in the taskmanager.

Top Bottom