Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Debian actually.

Can you share the exact error you get? I am not very familiar with Elementary OS and what their login system. Does Elementary use systemd?
*i.stack.imgur.com/lhSGV.jpg

I want to reinstall Elementary OS to the same drive which I created for it but I can't makeout which is the original partition (root & home) I created for Elementary :(

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Post your drive partitions. GParted screenshot, which you can get by running GParted from a live linux USB drive.

Also, a query:
@Desmond David : Are you able to run Kodi on Manjaro? I installed from software center. And when I click Kodi, I can see the icon on taskbar, and then it disappears. But Kodi doesn't open. I installed Kodi-common 19.0-9.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@Desmond David : Are you able to run Kodi on Manjaro? I installed from software center. And when I click Kodi, I can see the icon on taskbar, and then it disappears. But Kodi doesn't open. I installed Kodi-common 19.0-9.
Haven't tried yet. Let me check.

Edit: Ok, I tried it out and faced the same issue. Running kodi in the terminal gave this error:

Code:
[desmond@soulengine ~]$ kodi
Error: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-x11 not found

So, I searched for kodi-x11 package and installed it and it started working. You will have to install kodi-wayland if you are running wayland.

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Haven't tried yet. Let me check.

Edit: Ok, I tried it out and faced the same issue. Running kodi in the terminal gave this error:

Code:
[desmond@soulengine ~]$ kodi
Error: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-x11 not found

So, I searched for kodi-x11 package and installed it and it started working. You will have to install kodi-wayland if you are running wayland.
Dang! It didn't totally come across my mind to try to run from terminal.
Got the same error, and installed kodi-x11. Started working!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
At first I thought it's about a new distro that is more "noob friendly".
But happy to know that it's the usual debian based OS Zorin which just happens to be Windows-esque.
Nice read.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, Zorin is based on Ubuntu but with a tweaked Gnome theme that resembles Windows 10 to ease Windows users into it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yeah. Zorin is excellent. Feels like Mac when you give users an excellent GUI and point & click interface with access to all Apps

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
That's just a blog where the guy is just reporting on his experience with migrating his mother to Zorin OS.
Yup, I kinda know that, I did liked it from that perspective. Though at the end of the article he says-:

"I hope that my story will inspire you to think about migrating to Linux"

And I don't think it would have inspired, at least me.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. Zorin is excellent. Feels like Mac when you give users an excellent GUI and point & click interface with access to all Apps
*external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F_eIRZl6Cv0yo%2FR1baI-jyveI%2FAAAAAAAAAss%2FADfq4MlOR1s%2Fs400%2Fhomer_doh.gif&f=1&nofb=1

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
One common thing in most linux GUI is that they tend to move towards mac like interface instead of windows. Zorin is not completely like mac, would be better if they also optimise it that way.

i still prefer linux mint or ubuntu like setups because they dont have excessive use of animations, some of them makes it look filthy ( like that bounce animation when opening any app in some distros) or that animation in which the window turns wobbly when moving it. These destroy the distros feel and they become like an over animated unprofessional setup.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can actually disable all the animations.

For a change you should also try a tiling window manager. I find that it's much quicker to use than regular window managers once you get used to it.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
For a change you should also try a tiling window manager. I find that it's much quicker to use than regular window managers once you get used to it.
I heard they are hard to set up though, managers like i3. What do you say about the difficulty curve? I use POP OS's automatic tiling window manager already, but that is pretty far off from an actual tiling window manager.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Only if you want to tweak the default layouts or add new shortcuts, etc. That being said, i3 (and other TWMs) are the lightest desktop environments you could get. The only learning curve is learning the shortcuts to position or close windows. I personally refer to a cheatsheet for i3.

Look and feel for existing applications could be a bit of a hit or miss.

I'd say at least try it out once and see if you like it.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Kerala is really into FOSS.

4.5 million kids in Kerala (India) are learning thanks to KDE. - Tales of the KDE Network Kerala | Animtim – Timothée Giet weblog

*timotheegiet.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/gcompris_ml_IN-768x432.png
Here is the complete list of KDE applications used in public schools of Kerala (some of them are well integrated in the curriculum):

1. GCompris – Class 1 to 4
2. Marble – Class 6
3. KGeography (customized) – Class 5
4. KTouch (customized) – Class 8
5. Kanagaram (customized) – Class 3
6. KolourPaint – Class 7
7. Kalzium – Class 8
8. KLetters (customized)
9. Kdenlive
10. KStars
11. Krita

Top Bottom