Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
VSCode exists in the repos of some distros. But for proprietary software I think installing by snap is better.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/ar...in-linux-as-the-most-beautiful-linux-desktop/

Garuda Linux has displaced deepin os, which was known for its beauty.
I never tried deepin os, because of security concerns as it is Chinese, and there had been allegations against deepin recently.

I will try garuda maybe in a month or more.

Garuda is surprisingly made in India, and looks better than BOSS Linux ;)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
*www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/ar...in-linux-as-the-most-beautiful-linux-desktop/

Garuda Linux has displaced deepin os, which was known for its beauty.
I never tried deepin os, because of security concerns as it is Chinese, and there had been allegations against deepin recently.

I will try garuda maybe in a month or more.

Garuda is surprisingly made in India, and looks better than BOSS Linux ;)
Nice. Looks like they basically added all QOL improvements by default rather than giving a vanilla desktop and letting the users do it. At a glance I can see the Latte dock in the bottom and I think Kvantum is installed by default which is why there is that gaussian blur in the window backgrounds.

And it's based on Arch. That's even better.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Garuda Linux KDE version usurps Deepin Linux as the most beautiful Linux desktop - TechRepublic
Its cool, and maybe it can lure some new people into linux? The theme doesn't super impress me though, but the distro is especially user friendly, and that's a thing we always need in linux.

Garuda is surprisingly made in India
Nice. PS I first read that as " गरुदा" :lol:

looks better than BOSS Linux
Definitely :lol:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
How many of you prefer latte dock style desktop vs windows style (cinnamon)

Latte dock desktop is good for using gimp or similar apps. Whilst windows style is good for smaller apps. I prefer latte dock, as it takes a bit less space on windows border.

But it has compatibility issues with some apps, not made for specific DEs

Neo

Nice. Looks like they basically added all QOL improvements by default rather than giving a vanilla desktop and letting the users do it. At a glance I can see the Latte dock in the bottom and I think Kvantum is installed by default which is why there is that gaussian blur in the window backgrounds.

And it's based on Arch. That's even better.
why would anyone want to use this when they can just install arch with KDE? thats much simpler

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
why would anyone want to use this when they can just install arch with KDE? thats much simpler
I think this is good for non-Tinkerers. If you had to get the same setup with Arch, you'd have to install KDE, enable compositing, install Kvantum, install a theme for Kvantum that supports blurring windows, install latte dock, install icon theme, etc. This gives all of that out of the box and configured to be optimized.
You can use both together as well. Though it works better if you have the taskbar on the top and the dock at the bottom. Some people configure KDE to have a Mac-like active window menu bar in the taskbar and put the takbar on the top.

Æsoteric Positron

I like this
20.21.30-.png

PS. I think it would be better to say mac style dock.

Neo

The same reason people are using Manjaro, arch is hrd, and even with archfi you gotta be careful.
If you think arch is hard you probably shouldn't be using it. Or atleast shouldn't be using some "installer" to make things "easy" and skip the process.
Archs philosophy is to keep things simple and all these arch based just deviate from it...

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I wanna try Linux.

How much hardware resource is required (RAM, HDD etc) ?

Can I dual boot on my existing Windows 10 installation ?

Æsoteric Positron

Anyone trying this ?

*forty.gnome.org/
The trailer made me energetic and happy at the same time!

I wanna try Linux.

See, the best thing about linux is there is no hardware limitations to use it, that's why the most weakest devices on earth (and beyond) run linux. Though, if your hardware can run windows 10, I won't say you would face any problems using linux.
Yes you can, but I would suggest just trying out linux using live USB first. Just burn the linux ISO (I would suggest POPOS/Manjaro as the distro) and boot it as you do while installing windows. You can just use linux without installing a single thing!

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I wanna try Linux.

If your pc uses newer components, make sure to check compatibility by booting into live CD. Also if you are using Linux first time, go with Ubuntu or its flavours like mint, kubuntu etc.

Top Bottom