Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Firefox is a major dumpster fire right now. They squandered time and money on services nobody asked for and then killed them off. While their market share and revenue dropped, their CEO increased their salary. Now lately they fired 25% of their employees, including many Rust engineers who were working on the browser engine. Looks a lot like an exit scam.

I think it's a matter of time before they turn Firefox into another Chromium wrapper. Which is sad because Firefox is currently the only browser not using Chromium and thus is (relatively) outside Google's sphere of influence.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Have to agree with @Desmond David. Having many issues with each subsequent update even on Ubuntu these days with Firefox. Crashes all around. Not to mention how some sites are absolutely awful when compared to running something on chromium.

The end is nigh.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing can make me move to Mac. I don't know why you think I could.
Well that linux sucks video posted on earlier page talked about how the majority of people in linux conferences & seminars actually were carrying laptops with mac os on it.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Nothing can make me move to Mac. I don't know why you think I could.
Spoken exactly like someone who has never used Mac.

I'd use it for sure for just coding stuff. But need Windows machine for gaming.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I use a mac for coding and it is surely better for coding and software development, the smoothness and ecosystem is unmatched
I prefer Windows machine for gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I use a mac for coding and it is surely better for coding and software development, the smoothness and ecosystem is unmatched
I prefer Windows machine for gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only issue is packages that are available on both MacPorts and Homebrew, and one of them doesn't work.
Had times when I installed something from both & had issues when they were together.

Otherwise as an ecosystem, it's definitely "better" than Windows for development.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Only thing you need for development are compiler and packages and optionally an IDE. Any OS that provides support for these is good enough in my books.

In other words, developing an application on Mac will not make the app some high quality app automatically. The quality will be the same across all platforms depending on the coder's skill.

And if productivity is a concern, that is just personal preference. I personally am most productive on tiling window managers.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Only thing you need for development are compiler and packages and optionally an IDE. Any OS that provides support for these is good enough in my books.

In other words, developing an application on Mac will not make the app some high quality app automatically. The quality will be the same across all platforms depending on the coder's skill.

And if productivity is a concern, that is just personal preference. I personally am most productive on tiling window managers.
True. Code is just.... code at the end of the day. It's all about how we manage the execution environment etc, which is really boosting the widespread use of docker and such container platforms/services which is making code all the more portable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Running Linux Mint 20 ( Ulyana ) on Oracle VM Virtual Box. Whenever I use Google Chrome on this it asks for authentication password but no such issue on the default firefox browser. Wondering why chrome needs authentication but not firefox.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Running Linux Mint 20 ( Ulyana ) on Oracle VM Virtual Box. Whenever I use Google Chrome on this it asks for authentication password but no such issue on the default firefox browser. Wondering why chrome needs authentication but not firefox.
How is it running? Are there any lags?
Because I am running ubuntu and Kali Linux 1.1 in virtual box and it lags sometimes.

Sent from my RMX2185 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hmm. That means that somehow root owns your chrome.

How did you install chrome? Can you give the output of `which chrome`?

Top Bottom