Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Admin Edit: As @Vyom predicted, this thread's name has been changed from "Do you use Linux OS as daily driver?" to "Linux Discussion Thread" since the discussion has veered off to discussing Linux in general.

The name of this thread is subject to change, since right now I don't know where we might turn with the discussion in this thread. But...

I mainly I would like to discuss me shifting to Ubuntu OS as my primary driver since a couple of months now. I have had a love hate relationship with Linux. Ubuntu which I keep installing back and forth have been giving me enough issues to deter me from using it primarily, while Windows on the other hand had it's own quirks. While once I erased entire hard drive trying to install Ubuntu, the recent issue with Windows 10 update, threatened to erase all documents. Then also a recent update of windows 10, started turning windows 10 Pro license to Home edition. So I thought enough is enough. I again shifted to Ubuntu, and this time I want to give it more of chance then before.

I am currently using latest version of Ubuntu (18.04.1. Bionic Beaver) along with GNome desktop environment. I am also using a lot of Gnome extensions to add various functionalities.

I wanted to know how many of us forum members are using Ubuntu (or Linux) as their daily driver. And how happy are you with it against windows? Let's discuss your experience, quirks with Linux or any questions etc.

I am also sharing a small screencast of my Ubuntu setup, if anyone's interested:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Apart from the issues you mentioned in Windows, there have been a fair share of bugs that I have experienced including the infamous Start Menu bug, which was incurable and needed complete windows reinstallation.

Ubuntu was also cancerous to deal with as well, every now and then, something would break, and back then I was a linux noob and I had no idea what to do, or what to search on the internet to fix it.

Then I tried Mac OS for a year, and now I realise why its the best operating system for development. Clean interface, absolutely NOTHING breaks or changes if u turn off updates for a year or so, fast af. In terms of development support I would say, Mac OS > Windows > Ubuntu.

Only good thing about linux for development of cross platform things like web dev, etc, is you dont need to pay for a licence. Yes, its faster than Windows in day to day operations, but Ubuntu is not for me. Not many third party IDEs, not good for content creating as most of Adobe's suite is missing.

That being said, I have a Ubuntu server running Tixati Server, Transmission Daemon and a couple other services on my old laptop, permanently connected to internet source and port forwarded for remote access. I use it as a download server. I cant think of a better OS to do this job than lightweight Ubuntu Server. (or Linux in general)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been using Linux Mint over the last few months, was on Arch before that. I would occasionally boot into windows to play some games but mostly I never feel the need to use Windows as a daily driver. Hell, since Proton has released, I can play windows games on Linux directly from Steam (with varying degrees of success, see protondb.com).

Everything you can do in windows you can also do in Linux, especially if all you do is browse the web and watch videos. Windows is only good for games for now until Linux drivers become robust and they are improving.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So two totally opposing views. Nice replies.

@Nerevarine: Well, yes. MacOS maybe polished and does actually have clean UI etc. But because of Apple, and because of it's cost, most people don't even try, or want to try. So for now our discussion on this thread will revolve around Linux vs Windows. Yes, for download box and for remote access, nothing beats Linux. Hell, Windows still don't have an inbuilt way for remote CLI access.

@Desmond David: Alright, so you are a full time *Nix user. Since Mint is Debian based, I too use it on my 3 yr old laptop. And it runs smooth af. But on my primary machine, which boats of 4th gen core i5 and RX 480 GFX, I use Ubuntu with all its bells and whistles. Since I am a long time Windows user, playing in Windows was my left hand's job. Not so much in Ubuntu. I work on Ubuntu, not "play around", since I think it will take time. There are lot of quirks that I face day to day in Ubuntu that was no brainer in Windows. I will share them soon. But for now, I just need to know do we have even 2.04% of users on this forum using Linux? (it's the current market share of Linux worldwide).

Added poll.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since Mint is Debian based
Mint is Ubuntu based, though there is also a Debian Edition that uses Debian (stable?) repos. I don't use the Debian Edition because the packages are not added to repositories until many days or sometimes even weeks after release, this is mostly to ensure stability but I like my updates a bit more frequent.

Also, in my experience, doing development work on Linux is much more easier in the long run than Windows. Especially since shell scripting, scheduling, service management, etc is much MUCH more robust in Linux.

Edit: BTW, what tool have you used for that screen recording?

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Edit: BTW, what tool have you used for that screen recording?
That's the "Easy Screen Cast" gnome extension.

Here is the list of all extensions I have installed on my Gnome desktop:
Media Player Indicator - GNOME Shell Extensions
NetSpeed - GNOME Shell Extensions
OpenWeather - GNOME Shell Extensions
Pomodoro - GNOME Shell Extensions
Todo.txt - GNOME Shell Extensions
Activities Configurator - GNOME Shell Extensions
Applications Menu - GNOME Shell Extensions
Auto Move Windows - GNOME Shell Extensions
Clipboard Indicator - GNOME Shell Extensions
Coverflow Alt-Tab - GNOME Shell Extensions
Datetime Format - GNOME Shell Extensions
Drop Down Terminal - GNOME Shell Extensions
Dynamic Top Bar - GNOME Shell Extensions
EasyScreenCast - GNOME Shell Extensions

Forgot to give the Drop down terminal screenshot, I find it cool (toggles with a single keyboard button):
*i.imgur.com/BSl2rX9.png

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I have been using Linux as my daily driver since 2013, and have played around with I before that. I initially found Linux Ubuntu Maverick as a "no viruses" alternative to Windows, but quickly went back when I realised it also meant no gaming.

These days, I run Linux Mint on my Asus ROG laptop as my daily driver : for Uni work, side projects requiring a localhost, SSH into my VPS (yes windows has putty but that's just ugly), and anything else which is not gaming or presentation making. I haven't been able to get NVIDIA drivers work for the 1050 on Linux mint, so no gaming here. I also really love the iWork productivity suite so I use OSX for that.

I can't exactly remember any quirks I face in Linux except the video drivers, but I am able to troubleshoot my way out of most things.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for sharing your experience. Talking about quirks, here are some of which I find annoying:
  1. The screenshot app doesn't remember the last setting I used (grab the screen, current window, select area etc).
  2. Above is a minor inconvenience, but what bugs me is that after taking a screenshot, I can't go back and take another screenshot, There's no cancel or back button. (*i.imgur.com/LVwFIEB.png). So every time I need to take a screenshot I have to relaunch a new instance of app.
  3. Whenever I reboot PC, and open Firefox it never restores last session. It always "asks" me if I want to restore the last session. It usually happens when firefox is closed inappropriately. I always have to click "Restore last session" button, but why?
  4. There's no address bar in nautilus? I think I am missing something here. Cause I think it was used to be. I would like to quickly copy/paste/edit the path from address bar please. (Related point: I can't copy the path by just right clicking the breadcrumb path).
  5. The black theme which I set from Appearance app is cool (name: Adwaita-dark) is cool. But it makes some text in text-box white on white in browser such that I can't see what am I typing. Best explained from this screenshot: *i.imgur.com/Iw2Y6dM.png (website in question: Login - iCheckMovies.com)
  6. Calculator app: A lot of times the calculator looses focus. So when I start entering numbers, it's not typed in the calculator app. So I need to click inside the textbox again, and then it start typing. Also I can type characters there. Why? #MildlyInfuriating
  7. Whenever a dialog box is pop up (related to a confirmation) I can't just drag that particular dialog box and see what was underneath. Instead when I drag a dialog box, the whole window behind it drags along with it. Dialog box doesn't have it's own instance, rather is tied to the parent instance?
  8. I also miss, WIn + R -> Writing the name of exe and pressing enter to execute it. Any alternatives in Nix?

Well these are just few, and I think I will write more as they occur or I remember them.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
1. I have honestly never used the screenshot app as an app. Press prtsc for whole screen screenshot, alt+prtsc for window screenshot, ctrl+previous commands to take screenshot and automatically save in clipboard.

2. Just press ESC to close the dialogue box, and your favorite button combination to screenshot again.

3. I never do ungraceful stops, so I dunno. Maybe ask on firefox forums?

4. As Linux Mint user, I don't have Nautilus, but nemo, in which you can press a button to see the full path in plaintext.

5. Not sure, but I would try to see if you can modify the theme to change just font color, or maybe look into firefox settings.

6. You can always press tab to switch focus to text box again. You can type characters most probably to invoke some inbuilt values and functions like pi or exp(), etc. (Just checked, pi doesn't seem to be programmed as a constant, but e(1) gives the expected value for exp(1))

7. Perhaps this is new behaviour in Ubuntu 18. As of Ubuntu 16, and Linux Mint 18, this is not a thing.

8. alt+ctrl+t -> type the name of the program -> enter. Or, Super key -> type the name -> enter.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Whenever I reboot PC, and open Firefox it never restores last session. It always "asks" me if I want to restore the last session. It usually happens when firefox is closed inappropriately. I always have to click "Restore last session" button, but why?
I am sure that's a setting in Firefox, you can enable/disable it from options.

There's no address bar in nautilus
I personally browse to paths by pasting paths into the terminal.

But it makes some text in text-box white on white in browser such that I can't see what am I typing.
This is actually not the fault of the OS. This is because web developers don't define the CSS for text boxes by assuming that nobody will use dark themes. I use this as a workaround: Text Contrast for Dark Themes – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

Calculator app
Try galculator: sudo apt-get install galculator

Whenever a dialog box is pop up (related to a confirmation) I can't just drag that particular dialog box and see what was underneath. Instead when I drag a dialog box, the whole window behind it drags along with it. Dialog box doesn't have it's own instance, rather is tied to the parent instance?
Seems like application specific behaviour. Which application is this?

I also miss, WIn + R
Alt + F2

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Aaruni is right. The behavior is Ubuntu specific. But I will do more tests and try workarounds provided by Desmond and Aaruni tonight and report.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Still, which application did you notice that in? If I have it, I could try to replicate in Cinnamon.

ankushv

Journeyman
Been trying to use Ubuntu in my old net book .
2gb ram Intel atom n450 64 bit . 10 yrs old .
Unity desktop would lag heavily .
Even now with gnome (I guess) still lags .
Xubuntu is more tolerable .
Mint too has lag .
Mint xfce is slightly better .
Not optimised for my 1024*600 screen too .
Sometimes menu buttons at the bottom of the screen are unclickable .
Have to auto hide taskbar to click them .
Also brightness settings of screen cannot be changed in Ubuntu .
In mint brightness change is possible .
This laptop has Intel GMA 3150 graphics card .
I know Intel atom n450 is crap .
But was hoping Linux would save it . Sadly no .
Was wanting a light Linux install with libre office .
This machine sucks with win 7 and win 10 .
I tried 32 bit and 64 bit (Intel atom n450 is 64bit) os install .
Not much of a difference .
Have been dabbling with Linux since red hat times when you would get a free red hat cd at the back of the red hat book and 33.6k dial up internet !
Cheers
Ankush .

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Been trying to use Ubuntu in my old net book .
Unity desktop would lag heavily .
Even now with gnome (I guess) still lags .
Xubuntu is more tolerable .
Mint too has lag .
Mint xfce is slightly better .
Not optimised for my 1024*600 screen too .
Sometimes menu buttons at the bottom of the screen are unclickable .
Have to auto hide taskbar to click them .
Also brightness settings of screen cannot be changed in Ubuntu .
In mint brightness change is possible .
This laptop has Intel GMA 3150 graphics card .
I know Intel atom n450 is crap .
But was hoping Linux would save it . Sadly no .
Was wanting a light Linux install with libre office .
This machine sucks with win 7 and win 10 .
Have been dabbling with Linux since red hat times when you would get a free red hat cd at the back of the red hat book and 33.6k dial up internet !
Cheers
Ankush .

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Have you tried LXDE? (LUBUNTU, and the likes)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@aaruni and @Desmond David : Combined replies below:

1/2. Well, in my case pressing ctrl is not required. prtsc and Alit prtsc saves the screenshot in the Pictures folder automatically. There's no visible notification too, no dialogue box, so nothing to close. So I would now just need to use the screenshot app if I need to select just small part of the desktop. Which is still ok.

3. I am not talking about ugraceful stops. But maybe if I don't close FF and then shutdown (instead shutdown directly) maybe Ubuntu automatically force closes Firefox sometimes, and that's when I get the "Restore Tabs" option the next time I start Firefox. Can't do anything about it.

Aaruni: I don't have any such button. What are other options besides using Nautilus as file manager. There should be many. Maybe a windows explorer styled one?
Desmond: But typing the path in terminal doesn't automatically opens the folder. You need to type nautilus followed by the path, right? If yes, then just a long way to open a path. But point 8 helped.

5. The addon provided by Desmond works. Thanks!

6. Galculator is way better than the stock calculator. Thanks again! Looks like it replaced the stock calculator. I can see the stock calc among installed application, but clicking it doesn't open it now.

7. The application where you can replicate the behavior is Text editor (gedit) and LibreOffice Calc. I did some more tests and looks like the behaviour is inconsistent in the same application. I will try to explain in LibreOffice Calc:
Open the Data -> Sort dialog box option. You can't move the Sort dialog box to see the data behind.
Now open the Data -> Define Database Range dialog box. It CAN be moved,

8. As said Alt+F2 is true replacement of Run dialog box. While I can't use it as clipboard, I can open any folder using it. Just what I was looking for. I have run out of thanks for Desmond.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for your experience. You need to upgrade your laptop to atleast 4 GB RAM. I did the RAM upgrade on my cousin's laptop which is also a very old laptop (HP Compaq Presario CQ61). On 2 GB RAM Mint was lagging heavily, but with 4 GB RAM now, it's A LOT better.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your experience. You need to upgrade your laptop to atleast 4 GB RAM. I did the RAM upgrade on my cousin's laptop which is also a very old laptop (HP Compaq Presario CQ61). On 2 GB RAM Mint was lagging heavily, but with 4 GB RAM now, it's A LOT better.
I thought the strong point of linux is that it can be compiled to run on any hardware even with low specs.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I thought the strong point of linux is that it can be compiled to run on any hardware even with low specs.
Well, it is. But Ubuntu, Mint and Red Hat are all mainstream Linux. Mainstream Linux grows, maybe to support new hardware, firmware or to add the code to make your desktop "fancy". (Atleast that's what I think, correct me if I am wrong).

If you want to really install Linux on an age old machine, you gotta choose a distro that is really just barebone. I and many like me, don't want to compromise on the "fancy" desktop features, so they choose to upgrade the RAM instead of doing more RnD on finding a bare bone distro. But there are light weight linux like Puppy Linux which is recommended for old machines.

More lightweight distros:
Absolute Linux
TinyCore
Lubuntu
LXLE
Damn Small Linux
Porteus
Vector Linux
Linux Lite
BunsenLabs / Crunchbang++

Source: Best lightweight Linux distro of 2018 | TechRadar

And yes, to have best of both worlds, you need to compile it yourself. I will get there.

Top Bottom