Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Puppy Linux too.

Edit: Also TAILS if you want to securely access the web from public hotspots like airport terminals. Runs off USB drive.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
What does TAILS do, then using a Ubuntu Live USB and using Firefox in private mode? Does it have inbuilt VPN or something?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Seems there's Linux for everything.
Windows replacement: Ubuntu, Mint, Red Hat
Small: Puppy
Privacy and Portable: TAILS
Media Centre: Kodi

Like to add more to this list?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can get a whole list on distrowatch , this site has been tracking the top distros since at least 2006 when I first visited it. It also has a find distro page where you can set criteria and search for distros.

Edit: There is also elementary os which is like a premium linux distro with a pay what you want model. It is generally much simpler and aimed at non-tech-savvy users.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You can get a whole list on distrowatch.com , this site has been tracking the top distros since at least 2006 when I first visited it. It also has a find distro page where you can set criteria and search for distros.
I am aware about that. But thanks for the site. Any new comer browsing through this thread will be glad to know about it.
I was just discussing things from top of our minds, rather than googling. (Working on grey matter is good sometimes, eh).
On a side note, have you ever used SuperX distro? It was a very good distro, an Indian product. Sadly it's developer stopped.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The only indian distro I know is BOSS (Bharat Operating System Solutions) which was made by CDAC.

Wikipedia says that its working state is current.
BOSS seems a rip off, but SuperX was cool. Last version came out in 2015. Wikipedia is mistaken.
I know since one of the developer of SuperX is sunitknandi is frequent on #krow, the IRC channel. (This article is from him). The developers of SuperX is from Assam.

ankushv

Journeyman
Thanks for your experience. You need to upgrade your laptop to atleast 4 GB RAM. I did the RAM upgrade on my cousin's laptop which is also a very old laptop (HP Compaq Presario CQ61). On 2 GB RAM Mint was lagging heavily, but with 4 GB RAM now, it's A LOT better.
HI thanks
The intel atom n 450 could only support 2gb ram max .
It was a chipset limitation .
The main problem with these atom chips and atoms prior to this were the very weak single core processors of that time .
Fit to run win xp and Linux of that time .
Even after I put an ssd in my laptop the processor runs at 100 % most of the time.
The memory usage is 25% and disk usage is about the same .
Processor was the bottle neck in intel atom n450 chops .
Yes I have used lubuntu .
Any light Linux distribution the netbook is just about tolerable .
It does not matter if I use 1 gb or 2gb ram ,
Ssd or hdd , the machine still performs the same .
Cheers !
Ankush .

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks to @aaruni, I now can enjoy a better file explorer. He uses Mint, which have Nemo file explorer by default. Way better than Nautilus which comes with Ubuntu. Following is a quick comparison. Instant love. (Also it's short, so Alt + F2 -> Nemo /home/vyom, immediately opens the folder in Nemo.

*i.imgur.com/bd9ebRZ.png
Nautilus (Left) vs Nemo (Right)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Nemo was forked from an older version of Nautilus. Basically most of Mint's default apps are forked from their GTK3 equivalents.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Late to the party and probably not much relevant too.

I use PCLinuxOS in my desktop. It is primarily a KDE distro. Good for home use. I don't game.

Personally I dislike Gnome.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@sling-shot: Definitely not late. We are just discussing.
First time heard of this distro PCLinuxOS. But since it's not based on Debian, I probably wouldn't try it.
What exactly you dislike about Gnome. Is it bloat or less functional?

Nemo was forked from an older version of Nautilus. Basically most of Mint's default apps are forked from their GTK3 equivalents.

So that means Mint is basically advanced version of Ubuntu? I think I would like to remove Ubuntu and upgrade it to Mint, if that's the case.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Many people don't like Ubuntu because of Gnome, plus Canonical collects data from Ubuntu by default unless you manually opt out. None of those problems in Mint.

Note that Cinnamon (or MATE) on Linux Mint are based on GTK2, unlike GTK3 for Gnome. Thus, they are compatible with GTK2 themes but don't have the new UI features of Gnome/GTK3.

What exactly you dislike about Gnome. Is it bloat or less functional?
There was a time when KDE used to be cancer (bloated, memory consumption, slow, etc but good looking) while Gnome was the simple and light desktop environment. Today it's the opposite, KDE has become light, fast and responsive while being perhaps the best looking DE while Gnome has become complex and bloated and now features unintuitive UI elements like the three-line menu buttons, etc.

The Gnome team recently adopted the philosophy to become THE standard for Linux UI. The justification is that since there are too many desktop environments with different UI/UX, a standard is necessary. A lot of people don't agree with this, especially since their "standard" has very weird UI elements, radically different from what everyone is used to and unintuitive. Thus, Gnome's popularity has tanked a lot in recent years.
So that means Mint is basically advanced version of Ubuntu?
Not really, they are different projects. Mint is basically modified Ubuntu and it also depends on Ubuntu updates to update itself. So Debian is upstream to Ubuntu while Ubuntu is upstream of Mint.

Cinnamon DE (or MATE) on Mint is trying to keep the same intuitive UI of previous gnome versions and thus forked some popular gnome applications to maintain that look and feel.

I think I would like to remove Ubuntu and upgrade it to Mint, if that's the case.
There isn't anything too different other than the UI and some applications, so other than trying out the distro, there is really no reason to switch. However, if you want to try it out, you could create a Linux Mint live USB to try it.

Distro hopping can be a pain depending on your setup. If you have your /home on a different partition, then it will be easy since you just have to format your / and install the new OS, thus maintaining your home directory and all your files and settings there. Otherwise, you will have to backup your /home everytime you want to install a new OS.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Media Centre: Kodi
I just noticed this.

I must point out that Kodi is NOT an OS. It is an application that runs on top of an existing OS. Thus, for running it on something like a Raspberry Pi, you will have to get an image that bundles Kodi with a baremetal linux OS underneath. Examples are OpenELEC or LibreELEC.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Ubuntu was / is mostly powered by Community. When they decided to partener with Amazon, a lot of people were upset about the path it was going to take. So they decided to purify Ubunut and create Linux Mint version out of every Ubuntu release. From what I know Mint is almost Ubuntu with some cancerous parts removed and some added like Cinnamon DE and Nautilus. Personally, I prefer Mint over Ubuntu.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ubuntu was / is mostly powered by Community. When they decided to partener with Amazon, a lot of people were upset about the path it was going to take. So they decided to purify Ubunut and create Linux Mint version out of every Ubuntu release. From what I know Mint is almost Ubuntu with some cancerous parts removed and some added like Cinnamon DE and Nautilus. Personally, I prefer Mint over Ubuntu.
:eeek:
The more I know! That is some dark past Ubuntu have. And I use to think it's the best OS in terms of purity. I even got a free Ubuntu CD back in the day when I requested Ubuntu to give me one. Maybe that played a part of that image.
Plus on distro watch, Mint is referred as "improved Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu done right". Source: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

I think those are enough reason for me to switch to Mint. Does Mint supports extensions like Gnome does? I could install and manage various extensions from browser itself, which use to enhance user experience.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There isn't anything too different other than the UI and some applications, so other than trying out the distro, there is really no reason to switch. However, if you want to try it out, you could create a Linux Mint live USB to try it.

Oh there are many reasons now. I use to think Ubuntu is superior to Mint. But now I know better. Also I have Mint on my laptop. So I know how it works and looks & feel. :p

Distro hopping can be a pain depending on your setup. If you have your /home on a different partition, then it will be easy since you just have to format your / and install the new OS, thus maintaining your home directory and all your files and settings there. Otherwise, you will have to backup your /home everytime you want to install a new OS.
I have a simple setup, everything on one partition. But switching won't be an issue even then. Thanks for the detailed post. I didn't know there was this much dislike for Gnome.

One more thing. I read that Mint doesn't focus on security updates like Ubuntu does. How true is that. (Source: "Linux Mint does not adhere to the principles of software freedom and it does not publish security advisories" from DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.).

Top Bottom