Linux... An inspiration to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattlecon

Right off the assembly line
Hi everybody,
There are many instances where we have seen Windows has copied or borrowed :lol: features of Unix / Linux. If u have seen any similarities( which I bet u already did), however simple it may be, this is the place to share...

OP
R

rattlecon

Right off the assembly line
One of the low-level changes is change in kernel. If you have noticed carefully, the Kernel of Unix/Linux is and was always in executable form. But this is not the case in Windows. Pointed by on of my friends, Mr Rama Krishna, Windows 3.1 had an executable Kernel. Since it was closed source, many tried to know the internal details of it. It was very easy to hack it. Open any debugger or hex-editor...and it is laid out.
Although Microsoft was beat there, it came back in form of Windows95. There was no formal way of getting it work, other than running the system. One more similarity is usage of DLL files. These are nothing but Shared Object .so files found in /lib. Exciting isn't it? If u find any more such "borrowings"....you know what to do.

praka123

left this forum longback
Thats the case with KDE as this DE too is needed to woo idiot Wingdows users(no offense!) to GNU/Linux..after they will be accustomed to REAL DE GNOME :D

jitun

Broken In
OK people we are not here to discuss over a gnome vs KDE war.however leave it.Here i found something that is copied from open source browsers to Microsoft's internet explorer 7.0 Beta.I can't say about the future release.:?:

*tinypic.com/inuy9u.jpg

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hehe .. Vignesh's Avatar says:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/avatars/145142500143a03c1ede21c.png

And he himself says :

Gnome is always better..

Oxymoron or what ..? .. :p

Btw @ Jitun, That menu is made to look like Windows' Context menu to make former windows users feeel at home ..

And refer to your last post, IE and Mozilla are working in partnership for some standards and hence common features are coming up .. The most recent is IE will feature FireFox's RSS icon .. Check this .. Read the whole thread for other IE Mozilla collabs ..

praka123

left this forum longback
it_waaznt_me: both KDE and GNOME are part of *nix DE.And regarding vignesh ,is there anything Like One can only Like One thing..eh/?Perhaps He liked both equivally..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you consider Windows XP's command prompt's filename autocompletion also,
Then yes they have copied shamelessly from bash.

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
GNUrag said:
If you consider Windows XP's command prompt's filename autocompletion also,
Then yes they have copied shamelessly from bash.

Yeah.... but winxp cmd prompt is not as smart as bash.... If there are multiple files with same starting chars, winxp completes the filename with the first filename that begins with what we typed...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Satissh S said:
What abt the theory of user accounts and file permissions, wasn't it also copied from *nix and Linux?
That may not be true.
There have been many Multi User Operating Systems apart from UNIX ... like VMS, Netware which have multiuser capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom