Lenovo Z500 vs Samsung NP550P5C vs others

thinkdigit123

Broken In
OK guys... need a laptop. Budget: 50k. After a hell lot researching, i have narrowed in upon Lenovo Z500 and Samsung NP550P5C (the i5 model). Here's the formal questionnaire type post...

1. Budget: 50k (prefer lower...because post-laptop-purchase expenditures are there, like, cooling pad. Ok, budget maybe extended 2k higher. :p)

2. Size & weight: 15.6". Weight not a factor.

3. Brand preference: none. May even buy imported stuffs. (was eyeing the MSI GE60-0NC...i5... ;) )

4. Primary tasks: I'm an engineering student of CSE. Gonna do hell lot of programming, hell lot of gaming and lots of movie watching. I don't need to game at ultra graphics but medium is all fine. Games to be played: BF3, MP3, GTA4... I need a FUTURE PROOF LAPTOP :punch:. I plan to use it for at least for the coming 5 years without feeling that my laptop is a dump.

5. Screen resolution: no prefs. But obviously, better is preferred (np550p5c)

6. Comments: I'm gonna buy locally in Kolkata (Kolkatans, please suggest shops around Chandni Chowk/ e-mall / GC Avenue where its the best to make the purchase and those that keep international models in stock).

I have ditched these following models out of consideration:
Dell inspiron 15r special edition (reason- 7730m seems nothing when compared to gt650m/645m at the same price, speakers at the bottom),
Asus K55vm(i7)(reason- don't really need i7, i guess, & gt 630m is :thumbsdown: ) ,
HP g6/dv6 (hate that 7670m/gt630m GPU... for the same price i get gt645m/650m in lenovo/samsung)

OK...about the Samsung lappy i mentioned earlier, the heating/throttling issues of mp550p5c is putting me down. But the Samsung np550p5c thread here in TDF says that the heating/throttling issue has been taken care of by Samsung recently. Owners please clarify. Is there any such glitches with the Lenovo Z500??

Lenovo Z500 For: priced lower. Looks awesome & sleek. Backlit keyboard on the international model. The Lenovo tag!
Against: Hate that speakers below the laptop. Owners please clarify about the audio performance.

Samsung NP550P5C For: gt650m :hyper: , Better screen resolution, Awesome JBL speakers
Against: the samsung tag :p

PS: do suggest other laptops too if it falls under my requirements...i never really checked out Toshiba/Sony/Acer/Asus/MSI... need to make a decision quick!

Thanks! :toast:

$hadow

Geek in making
We cs students sometimes need to play in the dark and z500 has a backlit keyboard so for that purpose I would suggest you z500.

KyleSforza

Banned
We cs students sometimes need to play in the dark and z500 has a backlit keyboard so for that purpose I would suggest you z500.
Typing this with lights off in the room, hmm, the light coming from the LED is enough in a dark room, its another thing that I can also type with eyes closed as my fingers are quite precise on keyboard as its easy to get used to.

Hrishi

Check for the Graphics memory type. A GT650m ddr3 is just an overclocked 645m.
I am not sure if the vBIOS is unlocked for O'clock but practically they both are same.

I would still go for Lenovo.
Source : Was in same dillema couple of months ago.

BTW , just FYI . [ 7730m isn't far below 650m. Infact its pretty much neck to neck with a base 640m.With improved drivers it may perform even better.]

BTW , problem with the Samsung , ( when considering gaming as priority ) is that with higher resolution.
Your GPU will have to drive games on 900p , instead of 720p on Z500.

Also , there was this Acer Aspire V3 571G Makk50 , the one I have.
I am not sure if its available these days in the market , but I bought it for 49.5k way back in Feb 2013 with 3 year waranty.
The laptop has an unlocked vBIOS. SO you can push the GPU close to 650m (even better.).

Config is way better than any laptop in market at that price.
Major drwback is the viewing angle.Other than that , it was bang for buck.
Here is the Link

In India, Z500 doesn't have backlit keyboard.........
My friend didn't get one atleast....(bought from Lenovo dealer at Durgapur, WB)

I suggest, go with Samsung...... Samsung's service is bit slower than others, that's a problem but still they will rectify the problem/ replace the corrupted part

$hadow

Geek in making
In India, Z500 doesn't have backlit keyboard.........
My friend didn't get one atleast....(bought from Lenovo dealer at Durgapur, WB)

I suggest, go with Samsung...... Samsung's service is bit slower than others, that's a problem but still they will rectify the problem/ replace the corrupted part

I might be wrong but your friend might have purchased an older model of z500. New model does hold backlit keyboard Laptop PCs | IdeaPad Z Series Computer | Mainstream Entertainment| US | Lenovo (IN).

Maybe......but the Lenovo guy told that backlit is with i7 models in US & in India only one model has been released for Z500

Top Bottom