LED lighting inside the cabinet.

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Guys I want to install LED lighting inside my cabinet. I have CM HAF 912 but I have no idea how to go about it as nothing seems to be readily available in India and all the online guides aren't that helpful. One more problem is that my liquid cooler and my psu have blue led's in them (though they aren't that visible) but one fan which i have installed on my side panel has is a red LED. So need a little bit of help to from you all to mod my PC. Let me know how to go about it (how to set up LED's inside the cabinet and make it run using molex and also where to get them them from in Delhi) and the best lighting effect that will suit it.
Thanks in advance.
Attaching a pic of my cabby just in case.:) 20140223_172750.jpg

You can build your own at a fraction of the cost of pre-built kits. Just get 3 feet of automobile LED strip (available for 30-50 rupees per feet depending on quality. Get the better quality lights). They have '+' and '-' spots (well labeled). Scavenge a molex pin; say from an old fan; and solder the black wire to the LED strip's '-' and the red wire to '+' and you are done.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys I want to install LED lighting inside my cabinet. I have CM HAF 912 but I have no idea how to go about it as nothing seems to be readily available in India and all the online guides aren't that helpful. One more problem is that my liquid cooler and my psu have blue led's in them (though they aren't that visible) but one fan which i have installed on my side panel has is a red LED. So need a little bit of help to from you all to mod my PC. Let me know how to go about it (how to set up LED's inside the cabinet and make it run using molex and also where to get them them from in Delhi) and the best lighting effect that will suit it.
Thanks in advance.
Attaching a pic of my cabby just in case.:)View attachment 13682

Or you can do what I did here for my laptop cooler. Those are USB powered lights.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
You can build your own at a fraction of the cost of pre-built kits. Just get 3 feet of automobile LED strip (available for 30-50 rupees per feet depending on quality. Get the better quality lights). They have '+' and '-' spots (well labeled). Scavenge a molex pin; say from an old fan; and solder the black wire to the LED strip's '-' and the red wire to '+' and you are done.

Really??? It should work that easily? Going to go in a couple of days and buy those LED strips and give it a shot. Hopefully they should work properly. Also I may already have a few molex pins to scavenge from my old pc. :p..

- - - Updated - - -

Also should i go ahead with red LED's coz blue is barely noticeable. :/

Really??? It should work that easily? Going to go in a couple of days and buy those LED strips and give it a shot. Hopefully they should work properly. Also I may already have a few molex pins to scavenge from my old pc. :p..

- - - Updated - - -

Also should i go ahead with red LED's coz blue is barely noticeable. :/

What color to go for is totally your choice. Just don;t install multiple LED products together. If you want to install red LED's you may want to get rid of the blue LED fans. And blue does not look minimal, There auto led strips are super bright.

image098.jpg

This thing illuminates the whole room at night even though 50% f the LED's are not functioning (poor quality strip)!

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
What color to go for is totally your choice. Just don;t install multiple LED products together. If you want to install red LED's you may want to get rid of the blue LED fans. And blue does not look minimal, There auto led strips are super bright.

View attachment 13688

There is blue led type thing just on the liquid cooler n the psu. PSU glow is not at all visible. Just the liquid cooler has one blue light. as can be seen from the pic. But the fan led is red and everything else also i will keep red.

This thing illuminates the whole room at night even though 50% f the LED's are not functioning (poor quality strip)!

I have a small blue light on the liquid cooler thats barely visible in the pic attached above. But the fan led n everything else is red. Going to go with red ones i guess.

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I have a small blue light on the liquid cooler thats barely visible in the pic attached above. But the fan led n everything else is red. Going to go with red ones i guess.

I also have the same case and i was also planning to add some leds.
Go with red,the case looks really beautiful with red leds and also you will notice a little red led near the power on/off button.
I plan on going with nzxt hue but it is only available through primeabgb ,take a look at it if you have the budget.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I also have the same case and i was also planning to add some leds.
Go with red,the case looks really beautiful with red leds and also you will notice a little red led near the power on/off button.
I plan on going with nzxt hue but it is only available through primeabgb ,take a look at it if you have the budget.

I like this. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy this, (will give it a shot tomorrow in Nehru Place just in case) just hope that I'm able to install it properly as it will run one full strip properly. Can't split them as I had earlier planned .:p. And also will my PSU be able to handle it without any problems?

quicky008

Technomancer
Your cabinet looks really good even without any kind of LED lighting;if you decide to go ahead and install those anyway then i think they'll make this elegant looking cabinet appear extremely gaudy-is that what you really want?

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I like this. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy this, (will give it a shot tomorrow in Nehru Place just in case) just hope that I'm able to install it properly as it will run one full strip properly. Can't split them as I had earlier planned .:p. And also will my PSU be able to handle it without any problems?

Yes,try mass computers,it is the only authorized dealer of NZXT products in Delhi,but i think they only sell nzxt cabinets.
The psu will handle it like a breeze.
Do check the price though,if you are getting for more than 2.5k then get it online.

P.s I have messaged the mass computer guy, will tell you if its in stock !
:)

2.5k is insanely expensive for an RGB strip with controller. You can get the circuit online for free which will cost hardly 200 bucks to fabricate. Add extra 200 bucks for RGB led strip.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Your cabinet looks really good even without any kind of LED lighting;if you decide to go ahead and install those anyway then i think they'll make this elegant looking cabinet appear extremely gaudy-is that what you really want?

You really think i shouldn't? I was hoping to give my workspace a bit of an overhaul. :/. That's why was planning to go for these to make sure they look good. But now you have made me doubt it. :p. I haven't yet bought the LED controller as i couldn't find one anywhere in Nehru Place.

What's everyone else's opinion on this? Please let me know asap. In the meantime i will add a pic of my workspace in sometime. (It's under work and not that good) :p

Added an LED fan at the front in addition to the one i had on the side panel. Also I got a red LED strip to put behind the screen or the keyboard to match the setup. Currently have put it behind the Monitor. Pics on the way .:)..
Need your comments on how to go about it.

Here are the pics of my workspace. A new white table is on the way so please avoid that .:p
20140225_210738.jpg20140225_210825.jpg

Waiting for everyone's comment on whether i should go for the nzxt hue/controller based led lighting inside the cabinet or not.

Last edited:

nishanth_che

Broken In
The lighting in your cabinet looks dull compared to the lighting behind your monitor, you can add a LED strip to brighten things up inside your cabinet.

Bitfenix Alchemy Connect is pretty good for cabinet lighting. They are available in two sizes with a few color options. You can find some reviews of these on Youtube. I am not sure if can get them in Delhi but you can get them online at Amazon.in, Ebay.in, theitdepot.com and at a few other online retailers.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I'm most probably going to go ahead with the nzxt hue coz the DIY isn't exactly for me n the bitfenix alchemy gives me 30 cm for over 1k. Whereas the nzxt one gives me an led controller in addition to the 2 metre long led strip. I think it will look good with my setup. :/.

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
2.5k is insanely expensive for an RGB strip with controller. You can get the circuit online for free which will cost hardly 200 bucks to fabricate. Add extra 200 bucks for RGB led strip.

Can you please explain what you meant by "You can get the circuit online for free "? How does that work?

I also had the same views but here are my reasons to buy Nzxt Hue -

1) The basic reason- Multiple modes,colours,brightness levels.
2)Sometimes led strips get annoying or distracting if you have your cabinet next to your monitor (like op) so an option of dimming or turning them off can come in handy.
3)Good build quality,no hassle installation.
4)I think it will easily last 2 or even 3 builds.
5)No need to spend extra 100 bucks on a led fan.

I'm most probably going to go ahead with the nzxt hue coz the DIY isn't exactly for me n the bitfenix alchemy gives me 30 cm for over 1k. Whereas the nzxt one gives me an led controller in addition to the 2 metre long led strip. I think it will look good with my setup. :/.

Good choice! do post pics and do tell the price and the place place where you bought it from! :)

Can you please explain what you meant by "You can get the circuit online for free "? How does that work?

2)Sometimes led strips get annoying or distracting if you have your cabinet next to your monitor (like op) so an option of dimming or turning them off can come in handy.

Good choice! do post pics and do tell the price and the place place where you bought it from! :)

What I mean is that you can build your own RGB LED controller circuit using PWM output from a basic timer IC. You cna get the complete circuit online with features such as brightness control and hue control. The total cost for the DIY approach will be much less than pre-built options available.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life

I could find the NZXT Hue in india only through primeabgb. Tried out smc and every other place in nehru place. Will most probably order it in a few days and post the pics of the final outcome. Was looking for dust filtera for fans as well but no luck whatsoever. Will use the diy approach for that.

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean is that you can build your own RGB LED controller circuit using PWM output from a basic timer IC. You cna get the complete circuit online with features such as brightness control and hue control. The total cost for the DIY approach will be much less than pre-built options available.

I know it may cost lesa but too much of an effort for me.:p. Would prefer the readymade option if available. Will try the diy approach for the fan filters though. Cabinet is always filled with dust.:(.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Here take a look at this :Using LED lighting strips in your PC | TechEnclave - Indian Technology Forum

Nice quick guide. :/. Now again confused. Haha.. :p.. will try this out first as soon as i get the time. if i dont like it then will give the nzxt hue a try. :)..

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"

is a fuse & resistor nescessay in series with the led strip? :confused:
i already have a 12v blue water proof(cool) led strip. :)
i connected to my CX430v2 and the leds were warm/slightly hot. :-x

Top Bottom