Laptop upgrade.

petfrog

Right off the assembly line
I have a 4 year old laptop which needs some kind of a refresh. I can't upgrade the GPU as it is soldered onto the motherboard nor do I want to change the CPU, as the fastest compatible quad-core on Socket S1 for this board runs at 2.2 GHz (my Phenom II N930 runs at 2 GHz). I currently have 3 Gigs of RAM and I would like to upgrade to 8 Gigs.

Next I want a new drive. An SSD if possible. I am planning to take out the optical drive and slide in another drive using one of those HDD caddies. My motherboard diagram says that both the HDD and the optical drive run on SATA 150, I couldn't find the SATA versions anywhere else. So would getting an SSD make any sense and give me any sort of performance benefits over a mechanical drive given that speeds will be capped at 150 MB/s? Or should I just get a mechanical drive and be done with it.

I may build a desktop in the next six months where I'll reuse this SSD if I buy it.

These are the components I selected. Any good?

RAM x 2 - Corsair DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Laptop::Desktop Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TE120BW) - Samsung: Flipkart.com

HDD caddy - Universal 12mm Laptop Optical Bay Hard Disk SATA to SATA HDD Caddy | eBay

Top Bottom