Laptop Upgrade Help

coolguythampy

Broken In
Hi Everyone,

I would like to Fix and Upgrade my laptop (HP DV4 1506TX)

The problem I am facing is that the laptop battery was replaced 2 times after it was bought (2.5 year old laptop). Both times the battery became dead soon. I have no idea why it happened. I followed best practices to maximize battery life, still it does not gold for even 3 minutes now.

So I need to get the laptop analyzed for issues and then replace with a new battery. Here are my questions.

1. Should I go for an original battery or a compatible one? Is it worth paying 2K-3K more for the original battery?

2. Is it possible for me to upgrade the HDD to SSD for my particular laptop model?

3. Is it worth upgrading the ram from 4GB now to 8GB (Assuming I will switch to 64bit if 8 GB ram is purchased)?

4. Is components like CPU/Motherboard upgradable?

Thanks.

sarthak

In the zone
1. Should I go for an original battery or a compatible one? Is it worth paying 2K-3K more for the original battery?
Original is always better. Fake batteries apart from giving lesser battery life may damage the laptop also.

2. Is it possible for me to upgrade the HDD to SSD for my particular laptop model?
It should be possible, not sure on this.

3. Is it worth upgrading the ram from 4GB now to 8GB (Assuming I will switch to 64bit if 8 GB ram is purchased)?
Depends on what you do on your laptop. For common applications you won't feel any difference in the performance. Very few applications use RAM more than 4GB.

4. Is components like CPU/Motherboard upgradable?
No.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You can for sure upgrade SSD on your laptop. 4GB is enough if you use 64 bit OS, which you don't seem to use now.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
unless you do video editing/gaming..., 4GB is more than enough.
& it says - 4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB) DDR2, so currently you have 2 sticks, & most laptops come with only 2 RAM slots.
before going any further on this, DDR2 RAM cost 2 times DDR3 rams.
2GB stick costs 1.7k

Your laptop has a desktop spec HDD - 7200rpm 320GB, so imo, again theres no need of upgrading from this to SSD. just maintain the OS better - regular de-fragmenting (use defragler), clearing junk files (use ccleaner)... get Tune-Up Utilities, it's a all-round software, will keep your PC performing well.
SSD will make your laptop really fast but on cost of drive space
I'll recommend SSD only if you have an external HDD with all movies/songs..., since Windows 7 + basic softwares will take around 20-25GB + 2-3GB of 'Windows restore files'.
& then there is the rate of failures in current SSD's

If you have a desktop, buy a SSD for it, or buy a full HD 23-24" LCD monitor & enjoy movies on it. (connect laptop to lcd)

Top Bottom