Laptop unable to access internet

Sumesh

Broken In
I have an HP dv4 laptop that worked perfectly with my home router (I set it all up myself), and also directly via cable.
For a few days now, I'm unable to connect it to the network by ethernet cable or Wifi. The modem and router are fine, I checked it by connecting ethernet cable from router to a desktop, and with two mobile phones connected to Wifi. They both connect to the router. None of the settings on the router has been changed.

I have tried using a wireless data card and my mobile phone to connect the laptop to the internet, but that does not work either. They both show 'connected' status but the laptop gives a DNS error.

"This webpage is not available because DNS lookup failed......" in Chrome. Ditto in Firefox.
I tried pinging websites and IPs from command line, but that does not work either.
I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and it works (test for NIC gone bad).

Any suggestions welcome, I'll be monitoring this thread all the time as I'm really desperate to fix this.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Try google dns or even open dns as a solution. I've same problem with my BB connection. Its own dns sometimes can't find some websites which I use eveeryday. So, I use open dns as primary dns & google's dns as secondary dns.

Top Bottom