laptop suggestions

Which one is better in price to performance ratio??

• Dell

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • HP

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldip10

In the zone
I have gone through previous threads but couldn't meet my requirements..
I am a Computer Engg. Student from Delhi (1 yr). Want a laptop for studies and games (A bit). So my requirements:
1. Core 2 Duo.
2. 3GB RAM (doesn't matter if 2 GB , will increase it).
3. altleast 160-250 GB HD space.
4. wifi enables.
5. Card slot (imp.).
6. Decent (not poor) sound card.

Budget : Rs 35k- 40K.

Have zeroed down to - Dell , HP , Compaq.. But still in doubt so plz help..
Any suggestion accepted..

dpuk

teh 479
Hi there! Very good choices....but the only thing is that these two companies won't give you the gaming bit in your budget....you can get core2duo, 3gb, 250gb and everything else...but not the graphic card.....but if you can compromise a bit and settle for an AMD Turion dual core processor then you can find some awesome configurations in compaq, HP and Acer.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ totally agreed..
------------

To the OP:

Buddy, for a decent gaming if this is ONLY ur final budget then i wud say that DONT GO for a DELL coz it will buy u only the Inspiron series with the Intel GMA X3100 a.k.a the INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELRATOR X3100 (onboard graphics gpu) wich totally sucks...believe me...(for games)

To get a good gaming lappy, u will hv to hv a budget of approx. Rs.50K for a DELL XPS...
----------------------

But, for a budget of Rs.35-40K u can go for a Compaq CQ50-106AU see its config here:
*emalldirect.com/productdetail.php?proid=1322

This lappy has a NVIDIA GeForce Go 8200M (128 MB) gpu wich is way way better than a DELL's Rs.38K inspiron lappy and it will (the nVIDIA GeForce Go 8200M) kicks Intel's GMA X3100 onboard gpu in all benchmark tests..

but, yes the above reply abt the Compaq lappy was jus for sum decent gaming..

but if u still wanna go for a DELL, then DELL INSPIRON 1525 at Rs.38500/- will be ur best bet, as it has got the decent looks, sturdy, okay performance, BUT NOT GOOD at all for GAMING..(wen compared to Compaq's CQ50 106 AU) :)

but will be good for other stuff..like studying, net surfing..it has these I/O Ports:
I/O Ports:

VGA, RJ11, RJ45, 2 Headphone jacks, 1 Microphone jack, 1 ExpressCard 54mm slot, 4 USB 2.0, 1394a, 8 in 1 card reader, Consumer IR, S-Video, HDMI, Wireless Sniffer, 3rd Mini-card, SIM card slot
it has NOT got wifi but has got 1394a wich is Firewire 400(google it for the same if u dunno) :)

BUT..the DELL Inspiron 14 has wifi..

So, i wud suggest u, go for a Compaq.. :) (with decent performance than the DELL inspiron also in the gaming dept)

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
^^ Thanx for clearing your suggestions.. It is very very useful.
Some doubts that I have about Compaq Lappy: Looks ? Built ? how much user-friendly it is? and last but not the least servicing in India?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Well,

looks are better than okay(the acer lappy really sucks to hell), the build is good, well every lappy is userfriendly yaar... :) so dont worry, and the service centers are in plenty too in each big city.. :)

dpuk

teh 479
amd compaqs have a very high failure rate......I have a dead compaq v3029AU.....My 3 friends bought the same lappy and their's are also dead....some motherboard fault or a graphic chip set fault.....I don't know...i paid rs.6000 for gettign it repaired...it was okay for 6 months...now it's dead again....

if it is in guarantee then its okay else after that you're at the mercy of luck.....but it can be a good choice to go far a 1+2 year warranty for rs 8000 more

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

oh i see, never knew that abt Compaq's so bad in this failure dept.. good that u pointed this out... (hope u read this OP)..

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
amd compaqs have a very high failure rate......I have a dead compaq v3029AU.....My 3 friends bought the same lappy and their's are also dead....some motherboard fault or a graphic chip set fault.....I don't know...i paid rs.6000 for gettign it repaired...it was okay for 6 months...now it's dead again....

if it is in guarantee then its okay else after that you're at the mercy of luck.....but it can be a good choice to go far a 1+2 year warranty for rs 8000 more

What does 'dead' mean? Srry but I don't have any idea about dead and failure of laptops..

This creates a problem here..
Dell or Compaq?
With compaq's failure rates, what to do now??

Last edited:

dpuk

teh 479
dead = gone bad = won't run = gone case

there was a motherboard or graphic chipset issue with compaq laptops........which I and many of my friends and known people faced......so I would recommend compaq only and only if you plan to use it for more than one year with extended warranty....
i dont know whether the issue is there or not...but it would be certainly wise to check it.....

as per my case....I still have that laptop....it's still not working...I press the power button, the touchpad and the touch volume keys lit up and thats THAT! after that there's nothing....no display, no sounds and no nothing!

that was the same case with each of the AMD compaq laptop I enquired.....

so it's at your risk...

go for HP man...you can get same config as compaq + a lightscribe dvd burner + a media remote controller + a webcam + a textured design...all this for around 3-5k more

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

hmm.. well i agree to wat u said abt Compaq....but (to the OP:) it wud be wise to ask the Compaq ppl wether this compatibility issue has been solved or it still exists in sum of their models (call a toll free compaq lappy number, or a call center number of Compaq) or better, go to a Compaq Center and enquire it.. (its a really scary bet to place on after buying the Compaq lappy)...

so, better u confirm first rather than repenting and cursing the lappy later.. :)

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
@ dpuk : Man thats scary.. Got the meaning of 'dead'! you must have suffered a lot initially.. The prob is I wanna use it for 4 yrs till my Engg. is over. SO according to you Compaq will not go on till then.. if does (by luck) it will continue with hiccups..
BTW what was your model??

@ashu : The choice making is getting tougher man.. I don't know what to do.. And one more thing : Compaq officials will never ever tell you about its compatibility issues :) upon asking then.. I remember when I was assembling my first computer.. the seller told me that the mobo which he was providing is the best and latest and is future proof. Since I didn't have idea back then I agreed with him. But the bloody seller provided Intel 845 GVSR with no AGP slot.. Damn seller.. SO you see I don't believe these sells persons anymore. Its better to ask someone who uses Compaq notebook..

Another question : Is AMD procy good in lappys??

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, agreed to ur point, also, if u plan to use it thruout ur engg course, then i think u shud better stick to DELL, but in that too...(as u said) abt decent gaming, then u jus CANT game with a budget of 30K man.. :( for a decent, or a above decent gaming, u will hv to shell out close to 48K (for a DELL XPS)... else u'll hv to settle for a Non decent gaming lappy wich has long lasting durability.. wich is DELL Inspiron series..@ 38K...
--------

so, u choose, u want a decent gaming lappy or JUST a lappy (with the eye candy in gaming dept turned to bare minimum)... :(

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
Man this lappy decision is very tough.. Have papers frm tomorrow so I 'll not be coming till 28th.. hope we can get some soln. after that :)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

all the best for ur exam.. :) btw wich engg course u into ??
(i myself completed my I.T engg this year, June, 08 ) from Mumbai univ.. :)
------------

u shud be taking the decision based on ur current budget.. till the time uncle (ur dad) is impressed with ur marks :D and agrees to increase ur lappy buying budget.,. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom