Laptop Suggestion Needed - Budget Rs70,000/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnold991

Broken In
Hi Guys,

Please suggest me a laptop with a budget of Rs70k. Few things which I need at least are : :rolleyes:

1) Large Capacity HDD for storing HD Movies.

2) 17" LCD

3) At least a ' Mid-Range Graphic Card ' so that HD Movie won't create a lag and for gaming also. ( I love gaming )

4) 2GB RAM

5) Windows Vista

6) Please also suggest me possibility of future upgradation ( e.g. Blue-Ray Drive, Memory, HDD )

---> I don't know whether all these things are possible in that budget range or not but at least give me your suggestions so that I can get some idea regarding latest laptops.

---> And one more thing could you guys please tell me the link to Dell India website from where you can configure your own laptops and get price quote in rupees.

---> Please also tell me your experience regarding after-sale service of various vendors.

Waiting for your replies
'Arnold' :)

Wh!Zk!D

Broken In
Well.. 70k is a nice budget and you can configure the lappy (An INSPIRON 1720) here..

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1720?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

The base price is 63k with 8600M GT, 2GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive, 17" screen @ 1440*900.

Well, almost everything you need.

Hope this helps.

Do check the other brands as well if you get a better deal.

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
Wh!Zk!D said:
Well.. 70k is a nice budget and you can configure the lappy (An INSPIRON 1720) here..

*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1720?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

The base price is 63k with 8600M GT, 2GB RAM, 250 GB Hard drive, 17" screen @ 1440*900.

Well, almost everything you need.

Hope this helps.

Do check the other brands as well if you get a better deal.

Thx a lot for your suggestion Wh!Zk!D but I think there is no HDMI port. :)

Do you know when digit has recently carried out Laptop test ? :rolleyes:

And I have one Toshiba laptop, could you please tell me how to open and clean the laptop ? Since from few days I am noticing it runs at much higher temperature than normal. :!:

Any after-sale service experience regarding any vendor and which brand is most trustable ?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
well but i would recommend a high end 15.4 DELL XPS rather then 17 inch one !

go for the 15.4 XPS man .. its awesome in gaming and very good looks !
for 70k you can put a big processor and stuff 3 GB ram !

its superb for gaming and light weight .. i bet that 17inch will be really unreliable

for 70k you must get 7500 procy and 3 GB ram and 8600GT
rest all you know

its got a hdmi port btw

after sales service of dell is the best

Wh!Zk!D

Broken In
Yeah.. its only the 17" requirement which made me to zero in on the Inspiron 1720.. And if you notice I said its got "almost" everything you need. ;)

Cheers!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
8600GT will take care of movies on Big LVD TV

i mean you can use it as a DVD Player
and its got HDMI .. so just plug it directly to your HT Receiver
then use the vista home premium multimedia features to get other things right

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
Thx a_k_s_h_a_y & Wh!Zk!D, I will check Dell's website and will let you know about my further queries. :)

And bro what is the major difference b/w Vista Home Premium and Ultimate version ?

Currently I am using XP Professional, will I get every features that I have now with XP ?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
yeah home premium will do very well

the thing is my dad is having problems with his heavy 15.4 toshiba laptop he finds it uncomfortable to carry around .. he travels a lot and thinks twice if he needs laptop before carrying it ..! has stopped taking the laptop to office daily takes only when necessary .. !! that's the importance of portability and a 17 inch is going to be very heavy and problem to carry around daily .. also its going to be big
see the 15.4 inch laptop bags .. they are itself soo big .. imagine one for 17 inch !!

then again if its more of home use then 17inch will do great .. !

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
gx_saurav said:
Nothing that u will miss. Get Home premium.
Thx bro. But I have still few questions remaining, which are as follows:

1) When I customize Notebook on Dell's website, they say it's difficult to upgrade processor later. Is it true ? I mean can I not upgrade when prices will be down a little bit ? :rolleyes:

2) Normally they ship the notebook with 2GB of RAM, can RAM upgradation not be made EASILY later ? (with different make)

3) And same thing for HDD, can it not be also done later ?

4) Above all with all these upgrades, I don't know, but is there any necessity to do it only from Dell ?

I know Laptops aren't like Desktops but here I ain't worried about warranty getting void, but the monetary thing because doing it from the parent company takes more than the actual amount.

5) XPS TFT support TrueLife I think it's same as Inspiron TFT, so please tell me is there any difference between the two, as I can notice, 17'' is bigger and better and supports higher resolutions.

6) One thing, guys please give me link to some tutorial regarding cleaning Toshiba Laptops, how to open it and clean it ? :-D

7) @a_k_s_h_a_y: Bro, I ain't worried about carrying it around since I use laptop on my table only, just like a desktop. Akshay, I expect a big :) reply giving solution for my queries from you. Bhai please...and other munnabhai's also

Thx digit forum guys, you all are so helpful.
'Arnold'

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
RAM is easy to upgrade !! HDD is also easy .. coz my friend got his HDD replaced and also Ram added in his lenovo laptop from SP road in b'lore at half of the cost what lenovo gave him

.. duuno abt procy ..

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
RAM is easy to upgrade !! HDD is also easy .. coz my friend got his HDD replaced and also Ram added in his lenovo laptop from SP road in b'lore at half of the cost what lenovo gave him

.. duuno abt procy ..

What is procy ? :confused:

And just like desktop can I purchase RAM, HDD, Processor and do the upgrading by myself, I mean without getting any local technician involved.

I hope it's as easy as doing it on desktop. :rolleyes:

Wh!Zk!D

Broken In
Yes.. processor upgrade is tricky on a laptop. As for carrying around a 17 incher, i believe these machines are more of a desktop replacement rather than something which is meant to be carried around.

I work for Dell tech support so I would recommend that you upgrade from Dell as that will not void the warranty.

Ram upgrade is a piece of cake as @ akshay mentioned.

As for screen size on laptops, there is a 20 incher from both Dell and HP. Beat that! :grin:

Procy is the nickname for "processor" with love :p

Cheers!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
then get a 17inch inspiron .. and dell is better then hp coz of customization and colors !

procy is processor !! you will get everything in the Laptop
after 2 years you can go for RAM upgrade .. which will be very cheap if you get it done in a shop near you .. coz removing it is not suggested
it will cost half of dell price !

upgrade in 1st year from anything non-dell will void warranty !! so upgrade after 1st year by yourself or from a shop !!

i think all monitors have true life thing .. including XPS .. its the same

@whizkid ! that's cool .. you must be having a cool lappy !
coz i know you get discounts !! ;)

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
Wh!Zk!D said:
Yes.. processor upgrade is tricky on a laptop. As for carrying around a 17 incher, i believe these machines are more of a desktop replacement rather than something which is meant to be carried around.

I work for Dell tech support so I would recommend that you upgrade from Dell as that will not void the warranty.

Ram upgrade is a piece of cake as @ akshay mentioned.

As for screen size on laptops, there is a 20 incher from both Dell and HP. Beat that! :grin:

Procy is the nickname for "processor" with love :p

Cheers!

Yup, I actually need a desktop replacement, weight of the laptop ain't a problem for me.

Procy (with love ) is a trick affair, but bro, how much ? :confused: Could you guys not help me with this ?

And what about hdd, ain't its also easy ?:rolleyes:

In all I want to know that after purchasing this laptop with whatever configuration it comes as originally,

I am interested in upgrading the components by not Dell but by buying these parts (hdd,ram,procy) by myself from local shops and doing it myself, thereby saving some money. Just one thing, is it possible ? :p

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
as said you can do it yourself .. but doing it first time is not recommended
infact the shop where you buy RAM and HDD .. they only do it for free

next time you can do it yourself !
Processor i don't know if you can really upgrade it easily ..! though it should be easy .. but its not necessary to upgrade processor .. just go for 7300 or 7500 and leave it .. the laptop should work very well for 5 years !

replacing even the dvd writer is easy

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
as said you can do it yourself .. but doing it first time is not recommended
infact the shop where you buy RAM and HDD .. they only do it for free

next time you can do it yourself !
Processor i don't know if you can really upgrade it easily ..! though it should be easy .. but its not necessary to upgrade processor .. just go for 7300 or 7500 and leave it .. the laptop should work very well for 5 years !

replacing even the dvd writer is easy
That means upgrading dvd writer in future to blue-ray writer won't be a problem at all. :eek: :rolleyes:

What about HP Pavillion DV9507TX, isn't it a nice bet ?

I couldn't find whether this model has HDMI port or not, if you guys know then please tell me.

Last edited:
OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
a_k_s_h_a_y said:
yes no hdmi for 1720 !! am not sure

dunno abt that hp thing also .. coz its boring !

Bro akshay, why hp is boring ? :?: :D

And in Dell USA website they have XPS 17" version listed but in our website they have only 15" version. So, can I suppose that here we can't get the 17" XPS version from Dell India.

I like XPS version of laptop only because of HDMI. :eek:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hope soo for now its not there in website .. call up to call center and ask .. you might be lucky
and XPS 17inch might go upto 80k but its worth it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom