Laptop suggestion for Average gaming and good battery life and screen

vipulgreattt

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

around Rs. 45000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

13.3-14" screen will be preferable, with 768p
15" - 16" screen can also do if minimum 900p is available for them

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS, Sony, Dell (please no samsung as my brother won't agree)
b. Dislike: Acer, HCL
Neutral towards HP

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Normal browsing etc, and should be able to run multimedia softwares e.g. higher versions of Photoshop, Illustrator etc

Average gaming, where it should be able to run games before 2010 release easily

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

768p for 14", 13.3"

900p for 15.6"

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

HDD minimum 500GB, RAM = 4GB or more
Good battery life of minimum 5 hours

I would simply prefer sony, as for its good durability. I had samsung 550P in mind earlier, but gonna have to look for some alternative as my bro 's not really fan of sammy. (In fact I'm not sure if I'll be using 650M that much)

OP
V

vipulgreattt

Broken In
dell inspiron 15R, but why not samsung? any specific reason?

My brother doesnt agree. He says Samsung doesnt have good reputation in laptop market and so it'll be a huge risk.. As I am planning to keep that laptop for atleast 3-4 years. Idk how to argue on that.. :-x

Dell Inspiron 15R has lower resolution. Personally I had a look at this screen to resolution ratio and didnt like it much. No offense to any Dell owner, as its standard for that size of model (of most brands) but that resolution looked much better on smaller screens.

Would any Sony model (with good screen) be available with weaker GPU (at least around 630M). Size of HDD doesnt matter, I can work with 500GB or even less.

Last edited:

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
Samsung in India isn't like MSI laptops you know.

They won't refuse to fix your laptop if there's something wrong with it. :|

Samsung is pretty much becoming the world giant in electronics (it probably is already), and you/your brother have a trust issue with the company lol?

OP
V

vipulgreattt

Broken In
Samsung in India isn't like MSI laptops you know.

They won't refuse to fix your laptop if there's something wrong with it. :|

Samsung is pretty much becoming the world giant in electronics (it probably is already), and you/your brother have a trust issue with the company lol?

Could you guys simply ignore samsung for now and suggest Sony?? according to my requirements? As I said I dont really need 650M.

And why'd you guys take offense when I didnt say anything wrong about that..Samsung is "now" trying for notebook market. Its not a giant there.

No brand will refuse to service until warranty holds. You can buy MSI too and they cant refuse, as for the example you are giving.. They are legally bound to do that. But there is a reason why people buy Sony, Dell and HP(in india).

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
Could you guys simply ignore samsung for now and suggest Sony?? according to my requirements? As I said I dont really need 650M.

And why'd you guys take offense when I didnt say anything wrong about that..Samsung is "now" trying for notebook market. Its not a giant there.

No brand will refuse to service until warranty holds. You can buy MSI too and they cant refuse, as for the example you are giving.. They are legally bound to do that. But there is a reason why people buy Sony, Dell and HP(in india).

And where exactly will you find MSI notebook service centres? :lol:

No one is taking any offence.

On one hand you say Samsung isn't a giant in the notebook market, let me ask you this then? Is Sony a giant in the notebook segment? :-?

Sony VAIO's are not high performance value for money laptops. I've owned one myself trust me. They look good, and have good displays. That's just about it.

This is the best sony laptop I can find for 45k.

SVE14113EN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

If you feel that's good enough for you then go ahead. :)

OP
V

vipulgreattt

Broken In
And where exactly will you find MSI notebook service centres? :lol:

India
Address: D-128, 129, First Floor Okhla Industrial Area, Phase I ,New Delhi - 110 020,India.
TEL: 011-41758808/09

That was just for argument's sake, didnt know you'd actually ask for the locations. As far as I know (in delhi), there are various other service centers but they kind of work for more than one brands. Like last time I visited a service center of Logitech which was also taking services of ASUS laptops. The one I mentioned is Global warranty service for MSI I guess.

But thats not the point. If you buy anything of specific brand from a registered dealer, and there is some warranty mentioned in documents or whatever, they are obligated to listen to you. If they dont, you can take actions.

The thing is, I am not criticizing Samsung, I just have my own doubts, I even stated the problem. I just googled samsung ASS, and here is this

And that too is something in home appliances branch where samsung is supposedly a giant. And also this complaint, which is of a notebook.

I know exceptions are there for every brand, but there is nothing wrong in ruling out any other possible more appropriate model for me. :|

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it had 3rd generation i5. :-D

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
India
Address: D-128, 129, First Floor Okhla Industrial Area, Phase I ,New Delhi - 110 020,India.
TEL: 011-41758808/09

That was just for argument's sake, didnt know you'd actually ask for the locations. As far as I know (in delhi), there are various other service centers but they kind of work for more than one brands. Like last time I visited a service center of Logitech which was also taking services of ASUS laptops. The one I mentioned is Global warranty service for MSI I guess.

But thats not the point. If you buy anything of specific brand from a registered dealer, and there is some warranty mentioned in documents or whatever, they are obligated to listen to you. If they dont, you can take actions.

The thing is, I am not criticizing Samsung, I just have my own doubts, I even stated the problem. I just googled samsung ASS, and here is this

And that too is something in home appliances branch where samsung is supposedly a giant. And also this complaint, which is of a notebook.

I know exceptions are there for every brand, but there is nothing wrong in ruling out any other possible more appropriate model for me. :|

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it had 3rd generation i5. :-D

I've had two Samsung TV's in my house. My current LCD is Samsung too. I have a galaxy s2, and now this beauty.

Never once have I faced a single issue with samsung ASS. As a matter of fact only once have I needed to call for a service and that was pretty good IMO.

Samsung has officed and service centers all across India.

Yeah Dell has better ASS but you also need to keep in mind you need to pay 10k extra for that, whereas Samsung comes with 2 year warranty for free.

My VAIO display crashed once , and the cooler stopped working another time. Both times Sony fixed the issue quick. But there shouldn't have been such issue in the first place.

If you don't wanna buy samsung, then go for the Inspiron range from Dell. The looks/build quality will not match Sony ofc, but you will still get a much better machine.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
If you didn't face any issue with your Samsung products it doesn't mean nobody has. I know a hundred people whose Samsung LCD stopped working after a year.

Anyway the point is, no matter what the brand it doesn't guarantee that you will face no issues.

Similarly @OP if you feel Sony or Apple products guarantee 100% reliability then that's wrong too. There are people who have had a horrible experience with Sony/Apple products as well.

Anyway, you should look at other brands - Dell or else increase your budget if you want Sony as there is no VAIO with comparable GPU as your requirement under 45k.

aroraanant

Explorer
Dell Inspiron 14R seems to be a really good option but if battery back up is of much priority then avoid it.
Samsung Laptops are pretty good, even I would suggest you to buy it.
If you can extend your budget then just grab this:
Sony VAIO S Series SVS13112EN- it is really a very good laptop

xOvErClOcKeRx

Broken In
Dell Inspiron 14R seems to be a really good option but if battery back up is of much priority then avoid it.
Samsung Laptops are pretty good, even I would suggest you to buy it.
If you can extend your budget then just grab this:
Sony VAIO S Series SVS13112EN- it is really a very good laptop

I'm planning to buy one myself...any idea what's the difference b/w SVS13A and SVS13?

rider

as Kratos
Samsung laptops use to be have bad reputation but from 2011 their laptops drastically improves hardware quality. The best thing is battery life and cycles are much better than normal laptop.

randomuser111

Technomancer
I'm planning to buy one myself...any idea what's the difference b/w SVS13A and SVS13?

Basically S13A is the more premium model whereas the S13 is the lower model. S13A has a 1600x900 screen of better quality, fingerprint sensor, very slightly thinner and lighter, and has more chrome accents and other touches over the S13. Also build quality on the S13A is slightly better than S13.

Top Bottom