Laptop Suggestion: 13-14 inch / i5 / 8GB / 512 SSD / Long Battery - Urgent please

nktonu

Broken In
I am really very confused. For past 5 days, I am only searching for a good laptop to buy immediately when the lockdown ends or even before that, but not ending up with a single model out. Please help guys.
1) Budget: upto Rs.60,000/-
2) Size: 13" to 14" screen
3) Primarily for light Photo Editing (DSLR photos)/VMWare/Browsing/MS Office/Movies etc.
4) Preferred configuration: i5 8th or 10th gen / 8GB RAM / 512 SSD / Inbuilt graphics / Long battery life
6) Brands - in order of preference: Dell/Asus/Acer/HP (eyeing New Dell Inspiron 5490 (from Dell website) or Asus Zenbook series or Acer Swift 3/5 series)
7) A good screen, should not produce much heat, good after-sales service, a reliable brand.
8) I have a small kid at home. So better if the laptop is a sturdy, can withstand a few drops. :facepalm:

Questions:
Do dedicated graphics consume more power and produce more heat?
AMD Ryzen series consumes more power and produces more heat?
Do Dell laptops produce more heat?

Dell's laptops are pretty expensive. Those prices are exclusive of GST, so add 18% tax to the price you see in their website.

Acer Swift 3 with i5 8265U, 8GB, 512GB SSD used to sell for 50k on sales. We should get AMD Ryzen 4000 CPU powered laptops in India soon, maybe in a month or two if markets are opened on May 4th.
Acer Swift 3 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) SF313-51 Thin and Light Laptop Rs.70176 Price in India - Buy Acer Swift 3 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) SF313-51 Thin and Light Laptop Sparkly Silver Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

No laptops will claim that they withstand drops other than something like Toughbook. So be careful. If you are worried about breaking it, get a cheaper laptop, like this:
Asus VivoBook 14 Ryzen 5 Quad Core 2nd Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) X412DA-EK502T Thin and Light Laptop Rs.52990 Price in India - Buy Asus VivoBook 14 Ryzen 5 Quad Core 2nd Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) X412DA-EK502T Thin and Light Laptop Slate Grey Online - Asus : Flipkart.com
Performance is similar but you take a hit on display quality & build (plastic vs metal).

OP
N

nktonu

Broken In
Dell's laptops are pretty expensive. Those prices are exclusive of GST, so add 18% tax to the price you see in their website.

Acer Swift 3 with i5 8265U, 8GB, 512GB SSD used to sell for 50k on sales. We should get AMD Ryzen 4000 CPU powered laptops in India soon, maybe in a month or two if markets are opened on May 4th.
Acer Swift 3 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) SF313-51 Thin and Light Laptop Rs.70176 Price in India - Buy Acer Swift 3 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) SF313-51 Thin and Light Laptop Sparkly Silver Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

No laptops will claim that they withstand drops other than something like Toughbook. So be careful. If you are worried about breaking it, get a cheaper laptop, like this:
Asus VivoBook 14 Ryzen 5 Quad Core 2nd Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) X412DA-EK502T Thin and Light Laptop Rs.52990 Price in India - Buy Asus VivoBook 14 Ryzen 5 Quad Core 2nd Gen - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) X412DA-EK502T Thin and Light Laptop Slate Grey Online - Asus : Flipkart.com
Performance is similar but you take a hit on display quality & build (plastic vs metal).
Hi, thanks for the reply. Is Ryzen 5 equally good as i5. What about heating and battery life of Ryzen laptops.
I used to keep laptops in laps for long hours, so duly considering heating issues..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, thanks for the reply. Is Ryzen 5 equally good as i5. What about heating and battery life of Ryzen laptops.
I used to keep laptops in laps for long hours, so duly considering heating issues..
Ryzen 5 3500u is almost as good as i5 8th gen & runs at similar temps but it has much better integrated graphics compared to i5 8th gen. All laptop processors will run hot under heavy load so if you use ryzen 5 3500u to play modern games at good enough settings(which is not possible with i5 8th gen integrated graphics unless there is a dedicated decent graphics card in laptop in which case laptop will feel similarly hot) then it will also run hot & at that time laptop cooling design(& not processor) will decide how hot the laptop would feel.

Very less chances of markets opening even after 3rd May, in my opinion I don't think delivery of electronics items to areas outside of major cities & outside of severely impacted by coronavirus cities will be resumed before May end or even mid of June. Btw Mumbai situation is not looking good so there I am expecting less chances of any electronics items delivery to resume even by May end.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Wait for Ryzen 4000 series laptops to be available in India. Keep the laptop away from the kid.
Mainstream Ryzen 7 4800H laptop beats i7-9750H while being cheaper, cooler and using lower power.

Edit: Don't stick with a brand, still with performance and good price.

Ryzen 5 3500u is almost as good as i5 8th gen & runs at similar temps but it has much better integrated graphics compared to i5 8th gen. All laptop processors will run hot under heavy load so if you use ryzen 5 3500u to play modern games at good enough settings(which is not possible with i5 8th gen integrated graphics unless there is a dedicated decent graphics card in laptop in which case laptop will feel similarly hot) then it will also run hot & at that time laptop cooling design(& not processor) will decide how hot the laptop would feel.

Very less chances of markets opening even after 3rd May, in my opinion I don't think delivery of electronics items to areas outside of major cities & outside of severely impacted by coronavirus cities will be resumed before May end or even mid of June. Btw Mumbai situation is not looking good so there I am expecting less chances of any electronics items delivery to resume even by May end.
+1 to this

To add, based on initial impressions, Ryzen 4000 CPUs will perform better, run cooler & provide longer battery life even compared to Intel's 10th gen, so they seem worth the wait.

OP
N

nktonu

Broken In
Thank you for throwing light on the heating issue. I have read reviews and comparisons of these two CPUs and both are equally good. I am making my mind for AMD laptops.

I wish atleast Govt. start online deliveries. My current laptop (without battery, without keyboard and faulty graphics) may not wait that long.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for throwing light on the heating issue. I have read reviews and comparisons of these two CPUs and both are equally good. I am making my mind for AMD laptops.

I wish atleast Govt. start online deliveries. My current laptop (without battery, without keyboard and faulty graphics) may not wait that long.
AMD laptops are indeed better vfm nowadays.

I doubt govt is going to allow ecomm sites to start delivery of non-essential items so soon. There is also politics involved as earlier govt did allow it but reversed the order within a day after protest from traders association of retail store shopkeepers.

OP
N

nktonu

Broken In
Wait for Ryzen 4000 series laptops to be available in India. Keep the laptop away from the kid.
Mainstream Ryzen 7 4800H laptop beats i7-9750H while being cheaper, cooler and using lower power.
Thank you. I think the lockdown all over the world will further delay the 4000 series. I have an urgent requirement for the purpose of WFH. Still, I have to wait till amazon/flipkart start deliveries. Let us see what comes first, 4000 series or the deliveries. :)

Edit: Don't stick with a brand, still with performance and good price.
A reliable brand matters for after-sales services. I am considering Asus VivoBook 14 with Ryzen-5 as suggested by @omega44-xt I am into a transferable job, Do Asus or Acer have enough service centres across India?.

OP
N

nktonu

Broken In
To add, based on initial impressions, Ryzen 4000 CPUs will perform better, run cooler & provide longer battery life even compared to Intel's 10th gen, so they seem worth the wait.
Yes, I read about them. One gaming laptop from Asus with 4000 series is already out (not in India though). Let us see when it comes to India.

OP
N

nktonu

Broken In
AMD laptops are indeed better vfm nowadays.

I doubt govt is going to allow ecomm sites to start delivery of non-essential items so soon. There is also politics involved as earlier govt did allow it but reversed the order within a day after protest from traders association of retail store shopkeepers.
Govt has allowed electrical shops to open. Hope they allow electronics also. IT equipments are also equally necessary and essential in the present situation. :razz:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
This review might interest you. Consider it more of a review for Ryzen 5 4700U.

Top Bottom