Laptop screen flickering and horizontal lines problem

akhilc47

Journeyman
I've a Dell inspiron 15r se laptop which is 1.5 years old( model - 7520). It was working fine until last couple of days. Last week it started giving a horizontal white dot line on the very top of screen( like this ............. in white) for the entire width of the screen. From yesterday or so a similar line started appearing at the bottom too. Both of these line will come and go every 2 or 3 sec. And screen will jump a bit (like say 5 pixel or so roughly) and it will also shake sometimes which makes letters difficult to read.

The problem exists everywhere, I mean in ubuntu and even in boot screen. In short when I press power button and screen start displaying something problem also starts.

Today I connected an external lcd monitor via vga cable and it works fine. No line and no flickering. So I guess GPU is ok?? What could be the problem?? Could it be just loose contact or something in laptop screen cable?

Another question: I had warranty including accidental damage protection and stuff for a year. But since I'm outside this period now, what should I do?

And since I'm outside the warranty period anyway is it okay if I open my laptop and try something?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I've a Dell inspiron 15r se laptop which is 1.5 years old( model - 7520). It was working fine until last couple of days. Last week it started giving a horizontal white dot line on the very top of screen( like this ............. in white) for the entire width of the screen. From yesterday or so a similar line started appearing at the bottom too. Both of these line will come and go every 2 or 3 sec. And screen will jump a bit (like say 5 pixel or so roughly) and it will also shake sometimes which makes letters difficult to read.

The problem exists everywhere, I mean in ubuntu and even in boot screen. In short when I press power button and screen start displaying something problem also starts.

Today I connected an external lcd monitor via vga cable and it works fine. No line and no flickering. So I guess GPU is ok?? What could be the problem?? Could it be just loose contact or something in laptop screen cable?

Another question: I had warranty including accidental damage protection and stuff for a year. But since I'm outside this period now, what should I do?

And since I'm outside the warranty period anyway is it okay if I open my laptop and try something?

Why not go to
le dell service centre

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I will, but I was hoping may be somebody had a similar problem and they can give me DIY solution!!

Trying to save a few bucks eh? :lol:

You can try a DIY solution.........open up your laptop.....remove the LCD panel using a screw driver which is very difficult then order a 1366x768 or 1920x1080 panel from ebay.com, fit it in, mod the bios and enjoy your new screen.
OR you can go to Dell service centre and watch TV while it is getting repaired.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Trying to save a few bucks eh? :lol:

You can try a DIY solution.........open up your laptop.....remove the LCD panel using a screw driver which is very difficult then order a 1366x768 or 1920x1080 panel from ebay.com, fit it in, mod the bios and enjoy your new screen.
OR you can go to Dell service centre and watch TV while it is getting repaired.

It's not possible to upgrade the panel to full HD right?

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
had the similar problem with my hp.... just called a random computer guy to come fix it... he opened the lcd pannel and corrected the wires and told me it was good to go.!he took 500.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
^^ I was also thinking of opening up the laptop and checking the wires... It's just that I've never done it. :p. anyway you've given me much needed motivation.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^^ I was also thinking of opening up the laptop and checking the wires... It's just that I've never done it. :p. anyway you've given me much needed motivation.

If you are doing DIY operations on your lappy, make sure you are discharged of static electricity and proceed with extreme caution.

onlysam

New to this forum
same is happening to my laptop since 2-3days. Having the same model Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520.

PLease share if your issue has been resolved.

Top Bottom