laptop problem...

GeekBoy

Right off the assembly line
I have a compaq presario q600 laptop with windows vista home basic sp2. This laptop restarts all by itself every 2 hrs or so. Because of this I lose a lot of unsaved data. What is the problem with my laptop?

Wud you like to elaborate your problem ? If its Vista Rc, it will surely get restarted in 2hrs (inbuilt n00bness by MS)
For the time being, get an updated AV and scan it. Troubleshooting vista will be a waste of time IMO, better to install win7 in dual boot or upgrade your vista to win7.

OP
G

GeekBoy

I bought this laptop with vista installed in it. So Iam sure it is original. But still it says the os is not geniune and asks me 2 activate all the time. Maybe that is the cause for the restarts. What should I do?

SaptarshiGhosh

@Geekboy: Turn your laptop upside down and look for stickers. You will find a sticker named "Vista Home Basic OEMAct India". On it you will find your 25 charcter product key (without dashes). Then connect your comp to net and change your product key. It will activate your comp over net via microsoft servers.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
restarting of laptops is also related to overheating...have you checked all the vents are clear of any clutter...try not to use your laptop on your bed (as the mattress doesn't allow air to flow freely)...

Top Bottom