Laptop in 40 - 50 K for homeuse (15 inch)

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
FullHD is 1080p resolution, 1920x1080. Avoid laptops with 1366x768 resolution at all costs, its just bad for even 30k laptops.

For your budget, R5/i5 + 8GB RAM + SSD (+ HDD optional) + 1080p display is easily possible, try to get those specs.
Thanks. My query on SSD was due to the fact I have never used it before. So the idea of system booting up in seconds and not having to wait patiently for all apps to load is alien to me and saving some bucks going for a normal HDD looked appealing. Anyway will give SSD a try.
At my work I have usually used a ThinkPad and have found them to be very sturdy and able to handle rough use. Can you suggest any ThinkPad for home use which might suit my requirements? Even something without os will do if they support ubuntu.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. My query on SSD was due to the fact I have never used it before. So the idea of system booting up in seconds and not having to wait patiently for all apps to load is alien to me and saving some bucks going for a normal HDD looked appealing. Anyway will give SSD a try.
At my work I have usually used a ThinkPad and have found them to be very sturdy and able to handle rough use. Can you suggest any ThinkPad for home use which might suit my requirements? Even something without os will do if they support ubuntu.
Once you use ssd you will never go back to hdd(think of amoled screens vs old nokia keypad phones tft lcd screens).

Which ThinkPad? Lenovo is now Chinese so quality is not anymore like original ThinkPad under IBM. Cheapest thinkpad in your budget will be 14" screen size with i3 processor & no ssd so not really value for money other than the brand name & build quality which may or may not be much better than similarly priced models from other brands.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Once you use ssd you will never go back to hdd(think of amoled screens vs old nokia keypad phones tft lcd screens).

Which ThinkPad? Lenovo is now Chinese so quality is not anymore like original ThinkPad under IBM. Cheapest thinkpad in your budget will be 14" screen size with i3 processor & no ssd so not really value for money other than the brand name & build quality which may or may not be much better than similarly priced models from other brands.
So can you suggest any other brand with good build quality? Also, is there any website like gsmarena for laptops where you can find available models based on your preference something like gsmarena phone finder?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Build quality also vary nowadays from model to model so some models of same brand may have better build quality than other similar models of same brand. In my opinion Asus & Acer build quality is fine for their typical non-gaming laptops in 30-50k price range. Dell seems better but is also costlier & the main usp of dell anyway is their after sales support. Lenovo is a hit or miss. HP seems avg overall with no distinguishing feature. I don't know of any sites like gsmarena for laptops & there shouldn't be one(at least for India) because models availability here is messy with some models only available online while some only offline & many old models not available anymore on brand's own site but still available on amazon/fk.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Build quality also vary nowadays from model to model so some models of same brand may have better build quality than other similar models of same brand. In my opinion Asus & Acer build quality is fine for their typical non-gaming laptops in 30-50k price range. Dell seems better but is also costlier & the main usp of dell anyway is their after sales support. Lenovo is a hit or miss. HP seems avg overall with no distinguishing feature. I don't know of any sites like gsmarena for laptops & there shouldn't be one(at least for India) because models availability here is messy with some models only available online while some only offline & many old models not available anymore on brand's own site but still available on amazon/fk.
I am planning to stay away from HP due to my current laptop and also my office laptop is hp. Most of my colleagues laptops have crashed once or twice in last one year. Will check out acer or asus.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
What are the ports I should be looking for. Should I be looking for USB 3?

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Never ever trust shopkeepers, have you visited acer or asus exclusive stores nearby. Nowadays almost all good models come with win 10 pre-installed. Ryzen 3500u is equivalent to 8th gen core i5 & especially for your usages there is no practical difference. In your budget it is difficult to get a model with both ips screen & backlit keyboard with 15.1" screen size except may be this:
*www.amazon.in/FX505DD-Graphics-5-3...ywords=ips&qid=1592593268&s=computers&sr=1-30
the above model was available yesterday morning but now out of stock. Many models are showing out of stock in amazon and FK. The overall demand for laptops due to online classes and current situation is not helping i guess. My laptop problem couldn't have happened at a worse moment:-(

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I found this model Buy ASUS VivoBook 15 X512DA-EJ502T AMD Quad Core Ryzen 5-3500U 15.6-inch FHD Thin and Light Laptop (8GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Integrated Graphics/FP Reader/Backlit KB/1.60 Kg), Slate Gray Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

promising except for the LED display. Anyone have any experience with this model? How is the display performance. Saw some negative comments on amazon.
Also is it true that using SSD instead of HDD increases the battery life by 30 minutes?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That laptop is good except for screen which is the usual TN panel. You will always find some negative comments for almost any laptop display that is why it is recommended to check the laptop model/similar model screen in showroom. SSD does consume less power than hdd but increasing battery life by 30min is not some fixed rule.

Top Bottom