Laptop in 40 - 50 K for homeuse (15 inch)

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
40 to 50 K (If any good models with lesser amount also acceptable :smile:)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Browsing and watching movies. Will also use it for reading ePubs and Pdf a lot

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
Have been using same laptop for 4 years. So not sure what are the latest must have configurations. But would require 8 GB or above RAM or expandable option.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Not sure.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution Full HD preferably for watching movies
  • Battery back up 4 to 5 hours would be good
  • Purchase place ( Due to COVID situation, not sure about online availability but will go for fastest delivery)
  • Would like to have a backlit keyboard and Numpad
Hi All,
My laptop of 3.5 years (HP Pavillion 15-au116TX ) just stopped working today. It already had a non functioning battery (worked only on direct power). The cost for battery replacement itself was 8K as per HP dealer. Now today when i went outside i had just closed laptop and didn't shut it like i normally do. But when i came back some 2 hours later, laptop was burning hot and i noticed on underside that there were discolorations and looked like something melted inside. When i booted it was telling OS not found. Tried unsuccessfully to re-install windows. Taking it to a hardware shop but not much hopeful. I need a good suggestion which would also handle a bit of rough use and travel.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have 2 good options but both have their own cons:
*www.amazon.in/Acer-A515-43-15-6-in...ywords=ips&qid=1592508606&s=computers&sr=1-36
no backlit keyboard but has IPS screen which is rate at its price point.

*www.amazon.in/Asus-Laptop-X512DA-E...ywords=ips&qid=1592508673&s=computers&sr=1-52
Has better design & backlit keyboard but no ips screen.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
You have 2 good options but both have their own cons:
*www.amazon.in/Acer-A515-43-15-6-in...ywords=ips&qid=1592508606&s=computers&sr=1-36
no backlit keyboard but has IPS screen which is rate at its price point.

*www.amazon.in/Asus-Laptop-X512DA-E...ywords=ips&qid=1592508673&s=computers&sr=1-52
Has better design & backlit keyboard but no ips screen.
Thanks, will check this. But would like to have both back lit and ips option. What do I have to change to get both?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks, will check this. But would like to have both back lit and ips option. What do I have to change to get both?

*www.amazon.in/Acer-SF315-52G-15-6-...cer+swift+3&qid=1592544442&s=computers&sr=1-1

R5 3500U has similar CPU performance to i5 82xxU but has better iGPU & costs less. If you won't play any light games as well, this one will do the job for you.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy Acer Swift 3 8th Gen Core i5 15.6-inch Full HD Thin and Light Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/Microsoft Office 2016 HS/2GB Graphics/Sparkly Silver/1.8kg), SF315-52G Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

R5 3500U has similar CPU performance to i5 82xxU but has better iGPU & costs less. If you won't play any light games as well, this one will do the job for you.
It is a bad idea nowadays to get a laptop without ssd.

@jackal_79 if you have to pick between ips & backlit keyboard then I suggest giving up the backlit keyboard.

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-ZenBook-UX430UA...ywords=ips&qid=1592546745&s=computers&sr=1-29
IPS screen with backlit keyboard but 14" screen size.

@jackal_79 if you have to pick between ips & backlit keyboard then I suggest giving up the backlit keyboard.

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-ZenBook-UX430UA...ywords=ips&qid=1592546745&s=computers&sr=1-29
My bad, I didn't check it properly. Usually, there's a model with SSD & MX150 at that price.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized

If you don't mind me asking, why is it so important to have SSD with lower space than normal HDD with higher space?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If you don't mind me asking, why is it so important to have SSD with lower space than normal HDD with higher space?

IMO its better to have largest possible SSD in your budget instead of largest possible HDD. Work laptop is running Windows 10 Pro N on 5400 rpm 500GB drive with 16GB ddr4 ram, takes 2-3 minutes to boot up while a Windows 10 VM with 4 GB ram and 64GB vmdk on nvme ssd boots up in 20 seconds on my personal laptop and is more responsive.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
10th gen i7 running win 10 on a 5400rpm hdd will run slower than a 4th gen i3 running win 10 on ssd or even a 2nd gen i3 running win 7/8.1 on same 5400rpm hdd.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
today's visit to nearest computer shop didn't go well. First they said my current laptop is suspected to have board issue and can only be checked after couple of days as they have to send it to a different place but is shutdown due to lockdown. And anyway if it is a board problem i would be better off buying a new one. Second he explained that due to lockdown and issue with china getting good models from ASUS or Acer is very difficult. he suggested two models of ASUS and Dell with IPS and backlit keyboard which was way over my budget. Then he suggested a Dell Vostro 3478 model which comes with out OS and hence would cost around 43K. But he said Dell Vostro 3478 is full HD which i am not sure of.
Do you guys know if there any models with no OS but comes with backlit, IPS, 8GB RAM & i5? Or should i go for something AMD based?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO its better to have largest possible SSD in your budget instead of largest possible HDD. Work laptop is running Windows 10 Pro N on 5400 rpm 500GB drive with 16GB ddr4 ram, takes 2-3 minutes to boot up while a Windows 10 VM with 4 GB ram and 64GB vmdk on nvme ssd boots up in 20 seconds on my personal laptop and is more responsive.
How much ram your laptop has to do that?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
today's visit to nearest computer shop didn't go well. First they said my current laptop is suspected to have board issue and can only be checked after couple of days as they have to send it to a different place but is shutdown due to lockdown. And anyway if it is a board problem i would be better off buying a new one. Second he explained that due to lockdown and issue with china getting good models from ASUS or Acer is very difficult. he suggested two models of ASUS and Dell with IPS and backlit keyboard which was way over my budget. Then he suggested a Dell Vostro 3478 model which comes with out OS and hence would cost around 43K. But he said Dell Vostro 3478 is full HD which i am not sure of.
Do you guys know if there any models with no OS but comes with backlit, IPS, 8GB RAM & i5? Or should i go for something AMD based?
Never ever trust shopkeepers, have you visited acer or asus exclusive stores nearby. Nowadays almost all good models come with win 10 pre-installed. Ryzen 3500u is equivalent to 8th gen core i5 & especially for your usages there is no practical difference. In your budget it is difficult to get a model with both ips screen & backlit keyboard with 15.1" screen size except may be this:
*www.amazon.in/FX505DD-Graphics-5-3...ywords=ips&qid=1592593268&s=computers&sr=1-30

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Never ever trust shopkeepers, have you visited acer or asus exclusive stores nearby. Nowadays almost all good models come with win 10 pre-installed. Ryzen 3500u is equivalent to 8th gen core i5 & especially for your usages there is no practical difference. In your budget it is difficult to get a model with both ips screen & backlit keyboard with 15.1" screen size except may be this:
*www.amazon.in/FX505DD-Graphics-5-3...ywords=ips&qid=1592593268&s=computers&sr=1-30
Nearest authorized showrooms are around 50 Kms away. But the said city is under fresh lockdown. So either i have to order online or i have to buy best available option from the local shopkeepers.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nearest authorized showrooms are around 50 Kms away. But the said city is under fresh lockdown. So either i have to order online or i have to buy best available option from the local shopkeepers.
Buying online is better than buying from local shopkeepers who are not authorized sellers.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Shopkeepers usually try to upsell crap.
You'd have to compromise with backlit keyboard in your budget, well because India and custom duty + GST + depreciating INR.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Buying online is better than buying from local shopkeepers who are not authorized sellers.
having the same thoughts as local shopkeeper i talked to are also not willing to take CC and wants account transfer or cash. I want to go with CC having low or no EMI options

Because, once you use Win10 from SSD, you won't like using it from HDD, the perceivable difference is huge to be noticeable, say Win10 boot takes 30s on HDD (very optimistic number) but it will take 10-15s on SSD. Even after reaching desktop, Win10 on HDD will still some seconds (optimistically) at least to be perfectly usable as background apps are being loaded, whereas on SSD, just start whatever you want ASAP & that app will open. General app load times are very low. An HDD is actually much slower than UFS 2.1 storage found in most 15k phones these days.

So ideally have an SSD for OS+apps & HDD for storage. But for general users, 512GB SSD should suffice easily IMO. If you need more storage, get an ext HDD maybe.

FullHD is 1080p resolution, 1920x1080. Avoid laptops with 1366x768 resolution at all costs, its just bad for even 30k laptops.

For your budget, R5/i5 + 8GB RAM + SSD (+ HDD optional) + 1080p display is easily possible, try to get those specs.

Top Bottom