Laptop frozen!! Help Needed!!!!

Theodre

In the zone
Here is the thing, My laptop is Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN!! I have a windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 Gnome remix running in the dual boot. Before one week i bumped into the fuduntu distro which is .rpm based. So i downloaded the latest version and i tried to write the .iso file to my pendrive, as my pendrive is broken in it's inserting part, i looked for my DVD+RW in order to try out the OS. The live session went well except for some lags which is expected from a DVD live session. I configured everything chose another partition and decided to install this operating system along with the other two
OS's(I don't know if it's possible but, i have heard of the multi-boot so i wanted to try!) When the installation started it was all fine, but after a minute or so the screen froze!! I waited to see if the OS is being installed even if it's frozen (Usually some operations in the linux won't respond but will be working.). But as i noticed the HDD light is not responding or blinking, i decided to hard reboot the laptop. After the reboot, the Laptop freezes in the Samsung screen and i can see that the HDD light is half lit, now in it's full power, but lit dimly!! The ubuntu 12.10 Gnome remix had Grub 2.00. I think some thing between the grub hung the system!! Is there any work around to this problem as my service centre is a long way from my home!! It's still under warranty!!

tkin

Back to school!!
Here is the thing, My laptop is Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN!! I have a windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 Gnome remix running in the dual boot. Before one week i bumped into the fuduntu distro which is .rpm based. So i downloaded the latest version and i tried to write the .iso file to my pendrive, as my pendrive is broken in it's inserting part, i looked for my DVD+RW in order to try out the OS. The live session went well except for some lags which is expected from a DVD live session. I configured everything chose another partition and decided to install this operating system along with the other two
OS's(I don't know if it's possible but, i have heard of the multi-boot so i wanted to try!) When the installation started it was all fine, but after a minute or so the screen froze!! I waited to see if the OS is being installed even if it's frozen (Usually some operations in the linux won't respond but will be working.). But as i noticed the HDD light is not responding or blinking, i decided to hard reboot the laptop. After the reboot, the Laptop freezes in the Samsung screen and i can see that the HDD light is half lit, now in it's full power, but lit dimly!! The ubuntu 12.10 Gnome remix had Grub 2.00. I think some thing between the grub hung the system!! Is there any work around to this problem as my service centre is a long way from my home!! It's still under warranty!!
Format HDD using Win 7/8 installer, the bootloader is gone and repairing it won't be easy, also if you are afraid of losing files copy them to a pen drive using live linux cd, this is why why you must be careful when installing linux and windows on the same pc.

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
No friend, it wont start till the live cd boot!! I have tried it!! The lap hangs at the samsung logo screen!!

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
No, it responds to the selection when i press F2, but it say's please wait and hangs!! What should i do??

tkin

Back to school!!
No, it responds to the selection when i press F2, but it say's please wait and hangs!! What should i do??
Open the hdd cover in back, remove the hdd and try to open the bios now, a damaged hdd could make the bios hang.

tkin

Back to school!!
But opening will make the warranty void, right???
Nope, replacing the hdd or ram does not make any warranty void, but if you are not sure on this please take it to a service center, I think the hdd is gone, that's one of the primary reasons the bootscreen tend to hang like that.

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
Haven't opened it before so am hesitant!! My lap's HDD was replaced once, but by the service official!! Are you sure it won't void??

tkin

Back to school!!
Haven't opened it before so am hesitant!! My lap's HDD was replaced once, but by the service official!! Are you sure it won't void??
Is this good enough for you?
SAMSUNG

Its US link but same applies for all laptops, there's a reason why the back has a door for accessing the HDD and rams easily while not allowing access to any other components. As long as you do not open the entire back panel the warranty stays, people upgrade laptop rams/hdds all the time, even I plan to do the same for my Dell laptop in a few weeks.

But make sure you know what you are doing, if you are not careful you could damage the screw heads, if you are tech savvy go ahead, else go to service center.

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
Was bonded with digit from 2008!! So am a tech savvy alright!! :) Going ahead ;) will you be online??? I need your help along ht way. When i open the HDD, then what should i do??

tkin

Back to school!!
Was bonded with digit from 2008!! So am a tech savvy alright!! :) Going ahead ;) will you be online??? I need your help along ht way. When i open the HDD, then what should i do??
After you take the hdd cover off(a small portion of the back panel secured with a few screws, could say hdd, be gentle when turning the screws, don't damage the screw heads), now you'll see the hdd, unscrew the hdd and slowly push it away from the sata and power ports, it will come off, now try booting the laptop without the hdd, see if it boots, open the bios, if its opens then the hdd is the issue, get the laptop to a service center(after putting hdd in place).

PS: I'll be leaving for some tasks now(14th feb ;)), but I'll be back by 6:00.

Finally: I will not be responsible if you screw something up.

A sample video of how it looks like:

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
Thanks for the help mate :) Enjoy the day ;) Will post when it's done :)

Update : Can't open the HDD bay because of insufficient tools, So am going to the service centre tomorrow. A full day only this!! Tiring :(

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks for the help mate :) Enjoy the day ;) Will post when it's done :)

Update : Can't open the HDD bay because of insufficient tools, So am going to the service centre tomorrow. A full day only this!! Tiring :(
Good idea, also buy a Screw Driver Set:Jackly 32-n-1 Presicion Mobile Screw Driver Set CR-V Bits | eBay
It comes handy in a lot of situations.

Top Bottom