Laptop from the US, under $1000

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
A friend of mine is going stateside within a week and would like to buy a laptop for under $1000.
It will be used only for general computing purposes,music, movie watching and browsing. Absolutely no gaming, she's a girl. So lightweight laptops are preferred.
Need reliability and VFM.
Screen res: 1366*768 or higher, preferably FullHD and anti-glare
Need an ethernet port and atleast 2 USB ports

I did a quick search and found this HP Folio 13 incher.
Does anyone have any other good laptops in mind?

Brand: HP preferred, but anything will do as long as it is reliable.

Also how does one get international warranty?

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thats way over $1000 buddy...
even the 13.3 inch version is priced 64k.
Thousand dollars is the absolute limit. anything lesser is much preferred, say somewhere in the 700$ to 800$ range (as the international warranty is probably going to cost quite a bit extra)

RaMpAgEr^GodZ

Broken In
Try acer's new line up of laptops which will give great bang for ur bucks.
"Cant give u link as using mobile.but it has been reviewed at thinkdigit.com"

Maddy_AzAd

Broken In
@Pranav: I was also looking for getting laptop from USA for 700$ but when I check the rates it almost ends up same.
So, I wonder if it is sensible to buy as international warranties are limited, unless similar model is not available in INDIA.

What is your opinion?

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The folio i linked earlier sells at abt 68k in india and roughly 48k in the states. so if the international warranty doesn't cost more than say ~17k i'd say buying from the states makes more sense.

Btw do you have any idea as to how much the international warranty for HP would cost?

chinmaya

Journeyman
(as the international warranty is probably going to cost quite a bit extra)

dude, i have been following sony, dell , hp and lenovo laptop for quite a while.
all the mentioned companies give international warranty by default. you need to pay if u need extended warranty for more than 1 year.

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I'm not sure. I saw a sony that specified international warranty on the 'compare' page and then showed up as 'limited warranty' elsewhere on the same site (yes, official sony US site)

Then just to sure, I looked up the terms of the 'Limited warranty'. It specifically said that the warranty is applicable only within US or Canada.

So are you sure?

Update: I checked it again. its 'International service' and not international warranty. which is very subtle wording trying to fry your purse after you buy it mistaking it for international warranty. I'm talking about sony. will check the others later.

Last edited:

SlayerAndy

Broken In
Global Warranty and FAQs - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

That says hp provides international warranty too. Even I'm getting a latpop from US this month, at $1000, but my needs and your needs are way distinct.

P.S. I'm getting Dell. It provides a global tag transfer.
Ownership-Tag Transfer | Dell

Maddy_AzAd

Broken In
@Pranav: I read some where that international warranty only covers service and if any parts malfunction then you have to pay for it. Not getting the link though!!

Also I checked the price difference between India and USA for HP Folio and there is a good margin but it is not the case with <700$ models :(

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@Pranav: I read some where that international warranty only covers service and if any parts malfunction then you have to pay for it. Not getting the link though!!

Damn. :-x

Also I checked the price difference between India and USA for HP Folio and there is a good margin but it is not the case with <700$ models :(

Exactly. So better buy those from here itself.
I was planning to tell her that. Thanks for the input buddy. Her plans of buying from the states are scrapped if that is true.

SlayerAndy

Broken In
As far as I know they provide International warranty by default.
For dell, once someone gets a laptop from there, the same person can transfer ownership and thus warranty to anyone anywhere around the world.
Ownership-Tag Transfer | Dell
By the same policy, I suppose, you can't extend the warranty, and can only get the default. Extension of the warranty can be done here in India.
And above all, don't bring a laptop that isn't available here in India, that way, replacement of parts becomes a problem. Better get a model that is available here.

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yeah. Agree.

It was the big difference in the price of the Folio that was pushing her towards buying from the US. But now she's leaning towards general workhorses. So plan of buying from the states is nearly scrapped.

Its simply more convenient, buying from here especially if something should go wrong later on...

aroraanant

Explorer
You can have a look at the sony models with 3rd gen i5 processors with 13.3" screen size available in US, the list is here
And apart from that have a look at Asus UX31A-R5102F, amazing laptop with a SSD.
And also XPS 14 which costs just 50$ more than your budget

Last edited:
Top Bottom