laptop fails to start - help required..

monkey

Padawan
I have been using Dell Inspiron 1420 for past 5 years and few days back the laptop refused to start. Whenever I try to power it ON the power LED glows for 3 seconds and goes off. Then the battery LED glows for a second and goes off too. There is no other activity or LED that goes ON during this power up. This happens even when I try to start the laptop with the battery removed (this time battery LED doesn't turn ON). What can be wrong? I have already replaced the motherboard, thinking it to be faulty, but the problem remains.

Gollum

Collector
battery led will only turn on if battery is connected - nothing wrong in that department
try this
1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.[charger]
2. Remove the Battery.
3. Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds. [with no power source or peripheral connected]
4. Reconnect the AC adapter without connecting the battery.
5. Switch ON the Notebook power and check if the fault persists.

if this does not work, check with a good known ac adapter, if still no change, replace your system board or get a new laptop. Your laptop is too old to be still working anyway.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I have already tried the steps mentioned by you. Strange thing is that a few days back the laptop used to start after these steps although it still never went beyond POST screen. But now it doesn't even go to POST. I have also replaced the motherboard but the problem remains.

A few days back when I had installed new motherboard I was able to boot properly and use Windows. But few days later the laptop failed to boot. I am not able to understand where the problem is. Can faulty CPU cause this error?

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Can bad HDD prevent laptop from going to BIOS screen?

Also I tried booting the system after removing the HDD but the problem remains. On starting the laptop (with or without the battery) the power LED glows for about 3 seconds followed by battery LED for a second. There is no other activity.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
No they can't stop the PC from going to BIOS screen however they can prevent it from going to OS after that. If your PC is not even going to BIOS then its a power or Motherboard problem. CPU could be culprit but its unlikely.:)

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I have a new CMOS cell. Also, like I said earlier I have already replaced the motherboard. Got it through ebay and is under warranty (by the seller). The seller is willing to refund me the money (but he insists the motherboard has been fully tested before dispatch). I want to check everything before sending back the mobo for refund.

Top Bottom